Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Which will be better as a bike mostly ridden on the track { high- speed/not tight - type tracks} ?
2004 999 with nice linear torque or a 2004 or 2005 or 2006 749 or 749 S {not an R}
I weigh 160.Moderate track experience but will be tracking the scooter once a month.
I worry that the 999 will be too powerful but also worry that the 749 will need to be buzzed which will equate to a little instability exiting corners where because I am not an expert I can use the stability of the torquey 999.
If were for the street I would buy the 999.

·
Registered
1,751 Posts
I would go for the 999 just based on the fact that the usable powerband is there in case you need it...you can always choose to not use it and back off on the throttle...but it sucks to have it WFO and be cranking and still not have enough power!

·
Premium Member
1,163 Posts
broomhilda said:
Which will be better as a bike mostly ridden on the track { high- speed/not tight - type tracks} ?
2004 999 with nice linear torque or a 2004 or 2005 or 2006 749 or 749 S {not an R}
I weigh 160.Moderate track experience but will be tracking the scooter once a month.
I worry that the 999 will be too powerful but also worry that the 749 will need to be buzzed which will equate to a little instability exiting corners where because I am not an expert I can use the stability of the torquey 999.
If were for the street I would buy the 999.

You'll get opinions both ways, I'm sure. I think it gets down to your riding style. The 999 is a wheel spinning machine. Odds of a high side improve here, but if your comfortable with this style the 999 is for you. If you are not at that level, or just want a bike that will reward high speed cornering but probable dusting by high HP bikes on the straights, go for the 749.

Tony

·
Registered
407 Posts
The 7 will be more FUN than the 9... and you'll have a blast passing the 9's in the corners. Also, try short tracks for an even more fun and excitment!

If you're street riding or want a passenger - go for the 9 without question.

·
MultiModerator
1,419 Posts
I haven't ridden 999 on the track but I have my 749S and my Aprilia RSV1000 Factory (~130 HP at the rear wheel which maybe down compared to a 999?) and I find the 749 more stable coming out of the corners. The extra HP/torque of the liter bike wants to get the front light and wiggle a little when it touches down or spin the rear. The two track days I did on the 749 I found it an excellent track bike, if don't have a problem tracking a Ducati. I won't lie the extra HP is a rush, though purely for fun at track days it would be a 749 for me.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts