Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My dealer has offered me a brand new unregistered 2004 999 for a little bit more than a brand new 749 and a little bit less than a new 749S. What to do? :think:

Despite having ridden 749, 999, 999S I've never had the chance to ride the 749s, so comments welcome. I know the 749 is a completely different ride to the 999 and I'm vearing towards the feel of the 999. Question is am I nuts to buy a NOS 2004 999 when I could have a more up to date 749(s)?

Velociphile

·
http://www.ducati-owners-group.c
2,008 Posts
Like you said, the 999 is a totally different machine. The only 749 I would buy is an R. If I wanted a bike that size I'd buy the new Yamaha 600. Much better machine.

Pop a 57mm Termi on the 999 and you'll be lovin life. In fact, negotiate the Termi system and an open clutch cover into the deal!!!

good luck

·
Registered
1,913 Posts
brianmdavis said:
If I wanted a bike that size I'd buy the new Yamaha 600. Much better machine.
You mean probably because it's more powerful or something right?

·
Registered
929 Posts
That new 600 revs to 17,500 so its night and day comparing a high rev (no torque) to a torquie twin. What do you ride now?

brianmdavis said:
Like you said, the 999 is a totally different machine. The only 749 I would buy is an R. If I wanted a bike that size I'd buy the new Yamaha 600. Much better machine.

Pop a 57mm Termi on the 999 and you'll be lovin life. In fact, negotiate the Termi system and an open clutch cover into the deal!!!

good luck

·
Registered
2,441 Posts
brianmdavis said:

good luck
so why didn't you buy a gixxer thou ???

·
Registered
150 Posts
Get the new 749S. Step back from both bikes and take a look at them. The styling difference for 05 made the difference for me because I like the red frame, black subframe, black wheels, and the R style swingarm. Plus, I don't think there's been as many issues with the 05 and later models. That's not to say the 04 will have an issue, but I think they finally got things better in 05. Now if you had asked whether to get an 05 999 vs. the 06 749s, I'd definitely advise you to get a 999 then.

·
Registered
100 Posts
I would go with the 999 hands down. If you don't, you'll be starting another thread about getting more power out of you 749 ;)

·
Registered
649 Posts
These discussions always assume that everyone is Loris Capirossi.

The 749 is a handful for me right now. Money wasn't the concern when I bought my bike. I was and still am not ready for the power.

I say if you are experienced get a 999. If you aren't Bayliss, get the 749.

& the GSXR I won't even comment on because it doesn't say Ducati or even look close to it.

·
Registered
749 Posts
'04 999. My '03 is utterly reliable. Nothing but big grins. Also like the appearance more vs. 05+... the wheels going with the frame, and I thought the front fairing slats saved the front. But this is me. The 999 power is real.

·
Registered
929 Posts
I've yet to ride a 999, I did demo the 749 last year when I was deciding what to buy. The deal was'nt what I wanted and I felt I would want more torque and power so I went with the 05gsxr1000, great bike but its not a duc. The hp on the gixxer is more(155-160) but I bet the torque on the 999 is better. I'm still about 3-4 months out but at this point unless the demo run is disapointing i'm going with the 999.

Don

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
749 vs 749s

Chaps, Thanks for taking the time to help a forum newbie out. :D Hmmm, a lot of votes for the 999.... and it's still just ahead in my affections, yet, yes being a tart, I do agree with Vtwins4life and get a bone on with the look of the 05s. ....Ooooh, nurse. ;)

On certain days I prefer each. They are a completely different experience.

And yes Desmoduo, the only point in tuning a 749 would be because you already prefer the nature of it, not for more power per se. Hmmmm I think a 833 kit in a 749 would be nice but too pricy for me. ($3500ish ride in ride out?)

Can we split hairs a little further? My choice is also a little less money gets a 749 versus a little more money gets a 749s, I kinda wunda about the 'S'. Based on data I've seen, it looks to me like the 749 is going to be more street 'rideable' than the 749S what with quite a few lbft more below 8000 rpm AND subtly lower gearing. It seems I'd be paying a lot of money for less than a handful of HP, TiN forks, a Showa rear shock I'll bin anyway (put on my carry-bike-to-bike revalved Maxton shock) and adjustable head angle. Am I missing something about the 'S'? :think: What is the intangible aesthetic quality I'm missing. Can anyone comment from riding them back to back?

Hmmmm, maybe I should just get the (more expensive tho') R1200S :eek:

Again, thanks for your thoughts,

Velociphile

·
Registered
463 Posts
J24Joe said:

The 749 is a handful for me right now. Money wasn't the concern when I bought my bike. I was and still am not ready for the power.

& the GSXR I won't even comment on because it doesn't say Ducati or even look close to it.
- what he said.:)

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
In regards to the difference between '06 749 and the 749s:

Let's break it down. For an extra $1k for the "S", you get:

1) Choice of mono or bi-posto tail (the mono is a huge 'plus' for a lot of people ... no mono for the regular 749)
2) 5 to 7 more rwhp (most will never feel it, but it's there)
3) adjustable rake (most will never need it, but its there)
4) 4 lbs less weight (that equates to about 0.4 rwhp, lol)
5) TiN coated forks (nobody cares, but its there)
6) Adjustable Seat (adjustable is good)
7) Adjustable Pegs (not bad, for stock)
8) Showa Rear Shock (instead of Sachs. They say this is better than Sachs, but most will never notice in their lifetimes ... it's there anyways lol )

All that stuff isn't too bad for an extra $1k ... I'd say the biggest would be the extra hp and the monotail, but that's just me.

Hope that helps.

·
Registered
56 Posts
04 999

I had the same decision to make. I rode a 05 749 for about 500km before deciding, and opted for the 999 hands down.

Performance - no comparison

Styling - side by side, the lower 999 with the vents, the silver frame - no comparison

999 vs 749 sticker on the side - priceless :D

Fly999

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
migz123 said:
All that stuff isn't too bad for an extra $1k ... I'd say the biggest would be the extra hp and the monotail, but that's just me.
Thanks. Hmmm, it's more than $1k more over here in Blighty, but I get the point. Actually I just spoke to the dealer again discussing the 'S' and he warned me off due to the large extra service cost of the 'S' over the base 749; something to do with the extra labour of the heads actually having to come off to do the major service... (BS?)

·
Registered
55 Posts
J24Joe said:

I would agree with this statement except for one thing; I stand 6'5" and weigh in around 250lbs. I may not ride to the level of what my bike can do, but I would say there is a big difference in fun factor, and I am using those extra 250cc. This may not be part of the equation for this instance, but is something to consider once you start getting up around the 200lb or more rider.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Another small thing - insurance

Over here in sunny england, the 749s is an insurance group higher, although that probably wont make a difference to you.

·
Registered
5,137 Posts
desmoduo said:
I would go with the 999 hands down. If you don't, you'll be starting another thread about getting more power out of you 749 ;)
+ 1 on this, 999 all the way IMHO :)

·
comrade moderator
26,851 Posts
I love my 749 and ride the crap out of it. I don't feel the need for more power. I much prefer what the lighter and smaller spinning engine internals do for the handling.
It's a street bike, so I spend little time banging off the rev-limiter or grabbing a late handful of brakes. If you ride it like a streetbike, you won't ever notice the HP difference, and personally I feel the 749 is a very balanced package.

But that's just me. Get whatever blows YOUR skirt up...not what people you've never met on an internet forum say.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts