Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am the proud owner of a 2004 998s FE with 3700 miles. I have owned the bike since 2012 and drive it about 10 times per year very short distances (25 KMs). I fully admit I own the bike because it is sexy not because of speed or track riding. I am also not a bike mechanic so I am hoping for help from this forum. Last maintenance was in 2014 here in Montreal. So I decided to take into a different Ducati mechanic this week. He told me the bottom of my engine is a 996. Has anyone heard of this type of mod for a 998s FE and why would anyone do it? Or is it possible that the mechanic is making a mistake based on the VIN/Ducati file? Thank you for any ideas to better understand this.

·
Premium Member
747 Posts
should have a deep sump engine i would have thought.
Not in the United States. The deep sump S engine was never EPA legal here so they only sent the S models with the base engine. I don't know but I am guessing that Canada would have received the same bikes since it's unlikely that Ducati North America would receive two different types of bikes.

Still, there's no way that a bike built with a Testastretta engine would have gotten a Desmoquattro engine so the OP's claim doesn't make sense. I think a pic of both sides of the engine with a clear pic of the engine number would be helpful to start.

Reactions: ProphetPVD

·
Premium Member
747 Posts
did your 999s have the deep sump engine?
No idea as I never had a 999S. I had a 999R and I still have a 996R and 998R, both with the deep sump engines (although neither were legal here in the US as street bikes).

Back in the day, I had a 998S and in the US, they offered them with carbon bodywork to make up for the fact that they didn't have the deep sump engines with the special cams. It was one of the things we had to do without.

The thing that's sad is that my 996R is favorite street bike in the 916 generation and the non-US 998S is almost the same bike. I would totally get a non-US 998FE with the deep sump motor if I could easily do that.

Reactions: 2004 999s

·
Registered
2,496 Posts
sorry, i was asking your as in the usa 999s. i thought the 999s was the first hotter engine spec model ducati certified for the usa market, and the 998s fe has a 999s engine.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Should be the same as the initial Testastretta engine, I've got the same FE bike. Working on it, it feels similar to my 999S, another bike in my collection.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for the great feedback. I will get the pictures and the 996 identification. I assume this bike is from the US as the odometer is in miles vs KMs. More to come and I appreciate the feedback/teaching

1 - 10 of 10 Posts