Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Ever since I purchased my "S" I have felt the need to make it my own. I have always loved the look and function of the "R" model, but alas my pursuit of purchasing one went out the window due to getting a new house. I will eventually save and get one (don't like loans and owing people money). In the mean time I would like to upgrade my "S" to close or better than the "R" over time while I save. I have already done these mods:
- New chain
- Vortex rear sprocket
- Carbon front fender
- Front number plate
- Brake and clutch levers
- Barnett clutch
- Carbon clutch cover
- Full termi exhaust
- Carbon rear hugger
- Fender eliminator

My future mods are:
- Carbon airbox with carbon air ducts and covers
- Magnesium valve covers
- Magnesium Headlight bucket
- Ohlins all around
- GP shift
- Carbon belt covers
- New rear sets
- Carbon front nose section with vents
- (Maybe) DP carbon tank or a 749R tank
- (Maybe) 2004 "R" fairings, but going to buy NOS carbon fairings and paint them myself and make the fairings say 749s instead of 749R in the carbon because I do not want to pass it off as an "R", because it is not.

My question is what else can I do to make it up to spec? I read somewhere they had titanium valves? Just any help would be appreciated.
I will be doing this over time, and not all at once since I do want to save for actually getting an "R" and use the "S" for street/track.
Thanks

Pics coming

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
No point modding the engine to the R spec since it will cost you a fortune, though 2004 749S accepts 749R cams(I have set waiting to be installed one day, maybe). Anyway I would say go for big bore kit if you want a special bike and more power. At the same time go for lighter flywheel, crank and other stuff that's related to it. I got bb kit with lightweight flywheel and it's awesome. Maybe next winter I will ask my mechanic to install the cams and shave the crank while being there.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I do not want to put it into the "R". I want to keep the "R" stock or as close to stock as I can. I collect as well, that's why I want to turn my "S" into a track/street bike that resembles the "R". Its not about trying to say that my "S" is an "R", just want to try to make it comparable in performance for when I take it out on track days and to keep the look, I like the look.
Just seeing what else I can do push a little bit more horsepower and to keep it a dependable street bike.
Just asking for some suggestions, that's all.

·
Registered
237 Posts
I do not want to put it into the "R". I want to keep the "R" stock or as close to stock as I can. I collect as well, that's why I want to turn my "S" into a track/street bike that resembles the "R". Its not about trying to say that my "S" is an "R", just want to try to make it comparable in performance for when I take it out on track days and to keep the look, I like the look.
Just seeing what else I can do push a little bit more horsepower and to keep it a dependable street bike.
Just asking for some suggestions, that's all.
I have my 749s in the shop right now. Getting big bore kit, microtec ecu, lightened flywheel & dyno tune. I have been told that is the best bang for the buck. Hoping to have her back within the next 2 weeks

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I thought about the big bore kit, but I heard they were a butt to start when cold, is that true? Also I have a friend that has a complete 749r engine for sale that I just found out he was going to use to race but decided to go with a 999r engine. The engine has about 9000 miles on it and is asking $2k, good deal or go big bore?
Also is the box swing arm better than the cast one, and will I have to change out the exhaust pipes to make it fit?

·
Banned
8,181 Posts
i really don't understand the OP's wishes. If money is an issue (there is not a huge price difference now between an S and an R), then the mods he is suggesting will cost much more than a new "R" when all is said and done. Doesn't make sense to me, but maybe I'm missing something.

·
Registered
57 Posts
agreed... leave it as is. no matter how much money you dump into your S it will never be an R. What makes a R a R is not only cosmetic parts but mainly chassis and internal parts that are just not economical to do.

Save the money and just buy an R when you can afford it.

·
Registered
1,402 Posts
If you want a special "S" bike then:
- BST rims
- Play with the shocks
- Carbon nose and tail
- Carbon belt covers
- Rearsets
- Slipper clutch
- Swingarm

This will improve looks and feel of the bike, will still cost you a sh*thouse full of money but thats your choice.

If you want power and performance, then go bike bore. My advice would be to rather get a 848 instead.

If you want to be realistic, enjoy what you have for what it is.

Your call mate

SF

·
Registered
237 Posts
I thought about the big bore kit, but I heard they were a butt to start when cold, is that true? Also I have a friend that has a complete 749r engine for sale that I just found out he was going to use to race but decided to go with a 999r engine. The engine has about 9000 miles on it and is asking $2k, good deal or go big bore?
Also is the box swing arm better than the cast one, and will I have to change out the exhaust pipes to make it fit?
Lots of great answers... lol :sleep:

Shouldn't be any cold start problems with the big bore. If so you will just need to upgrade your wiring which is a good idea anyways. it is cheap and easy.

The 749r engine costs about as much as the big bore kit. BB kit being about $1800. Then there would be the same costs probably for getting it installed and another ECU. So it would be about the same money. But I "think" the big bore kit would yield more HP and better reliability.

As far as the swing arm & exhaust I would have to defer to someone else

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
I can talk from experience when I say big bore kitted bike starts cold just fine. As long as everything is done professionally and you got plenty of juice in your battery you are fine. Actually I got quite bad battery and it still starts rather well after week or two without riding it. And when everything is in balance you also get rid of the poor idling issue.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I mainly want to just have a good street/track bike, an have the R stay in good condition so I don't low slide it, etc. Either way it will take some time to save either way.
What is the difference in the 04 vs 05 749r's besides the carbon fairings?

·
Registered
468 Posts
Someone told me they improved the wiring.

Changes as far as I know are plastic front mudguard... The loss of carbon mirror stays, carbon fairings and cool factor reduced to 7/10!

I made the last bit up.

By the way the magnesium headlight bucket is off a 999R and it was available through the Performance cat for the rest of range...

Personally I think you are choosing to ignore the best advice. Just get an R.

The R will be an even better machine with all the mods you have planned...

I added a shit load of bling to mine but due to a house purchase it's being put on the shelf this year... Shall get it out again at some point...

·
Registered
193 Posts
You forget forged wheels on your list. +1 on the big bore kit. I had one installed in my 749s and I couldn't be happier. I never had a starting issue with mine either.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts