Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey, I've got a 2004 749R with just over 5000 miles on it, never been down, few scratches on the fairings, few extra carbon fiber parts. Have extra race body work, only front and sides not tail. Bike has never been raced, I was gonna try taking it to the track this year but haven't.

I'm in Ontario, Canada and cannot afford the insurance. I have a bad ticket from when I lived in Alberta(Alberta didn't seem to care, my insurance premium went up like 20$ a month) When I moved to Ontario last year, it went up 300%, If I had of known that I never would have moved here! I've never received a quote yet that wasn't under 5000$ a year. And they will not let you make payments, has to be lump sum payment!!! Sorry sir but I don't have an extra 5000 to hand over. (Such BS) So last year I rode around with no insurance for a bit, ya i know i shouldn't have but man I needed to ride my bike! However this year I'm not willing to risk it. The fine here for no insurance is 5grand or more. Ha and then it would be years before i could drive anything.
I got my abstract today in the mail, my ticket goes away this December. So no insurance this year. And I've got too many bills to have this bike sitting in my house not being ridden.
Sorry for the ranting but i'm pissed i cant ride.
How much do you guys think i should sell for? Whats it worth?

Thanks.

Attachments

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Oh and since some of you may have seen me post with problems with this bike. It's at the shop right now, I told them I'm selling it and they are doing a complete service and inspection to remedy any problems for the buyer.

·
FRONT TOWARDS ENEMY
163 Posts
$5k a year for insurance? lol, and I thought $65 a month was high.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
$5k a year for insurance? lol, and I thought $65 a month was high.
Ya, some people were asking 8grand, at this I usually laughed and walked out of the place.
Some wouldn't even tell me, they just said it was too much and I couldn't afford it. Telling me to look elsewhere lol

·
Registered
57 Posts
Move to BC. :)

Unfortunate for you the bike market seems soft. I picked up a pretty mint 05 999r for $8500 in January. Lots of parts like a DP carbon tank, tail, rearsets Speedymoto triples and more.

If you find the right buyer maybe $10-12k

Sent from my Motorcycle iPhone app

·
Registered
30 Posts
Wow! That's insane...insurance is such a scam! Incredible...I think you should be able to get $10 grand no problem for your bike...

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Wow! That's insane...insurance is such a scam! Incredible...I think you should be able to get $10 grand no problem for your bike...
Ya I was thinking I might try with 10

A good friend of mine suggested that I put the bike in his name, he insure it (He has a few bikes now and a clean driving record) and then I drive it, just pay him whatever the payments are.
I'm not sure if this would work, I know I would be able to get it stickered and plated by doing that but not sure if i'd be covered on his policy.
Any Canadians have any input on this?

·
Registered
144 Posts
Pro Italia had an '04 749R listed on their website that they just sold last week, it had a tick over 11,000 miles, full termi exhaust, and was just serviced. Their asking price was $9595.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Ya I was thinking I might try with 10

A good friend of mine suggested that I put the bike in his name, he insure it (He has a few bikes now and a clean driving record) and then I drive it, just pay him whatever the payments are.
I'm not sure if this would work, I know I would be able to get it stickered and plated by doing that but not sure if i'd be covered on his policy.
Any Canadians have any input on this?

I wouldn't do this cause they could deny your claim if they prove that you are the principle driver. It's okay if it's just the bike but any personal injury claims and you're screwed.

My suggestion is just get the basic insurance. Comprehensive like collision and theft is the real killer for the cost of insurance. The prices they are quoting you might as well self insure.

·
i'll be here till my 85!
1,102 Posts
i ve seen some

in Europe at around 8k euros.. some of them really laden with stuff..

succes!

Koen

·
Premium Member
828 Posts
Move to BC. :)

Unfortunate for you the bike market seems soft. I picked up a pretty mint 05 999r for $8500 in January. Lots of parts like a DP carbon tank, tail, rearsets Speedymoto triples and more.

If you find the right buyer maybe $10-12k

Sounds like you got a great deal.

·
Registered
218 Posts
Check with TD insurance. I pay under a $1000 a year for all of my bikes which includes two million liability, fire and theft. I suspect your age has something to do with it as well. A young person gets dinged pretty hard if under the age of 25 with any demerits on his record in Canada.
If you go the friend route, you will have to sign over the bike to him first. He would then loan you the bike. I don't know what your personal liability would be in a injury collision.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Check with TD insurance. I pay under a $1000 a year for all of my bikes which includes two million liability, fire and theft. I suspect your age has something to do with it as well. A young person gets dinged pretty hard if under the age of 25 with any demerits on his record in Canada.
If you go the friend route, you will have to sign over the bike to him first. He would then loan you the bike. I don't know what your personal liability would be in a injury collision.
It's not my age, I'm 30. I was doing some errands in my Jeep a day before I shipped to Afghanistan, got a ticket (Careless) Didnt think it was a big deal, and had more on my mind as I was going overseas so I didn't fight it. Just paid it.
Came back to Canada, and moved to Ontario
Turns out in Ontario people who get a DUI get their lawyer to get the ticket changed to a Careless to avoid having a DUI on their record and lose their license.
So all the Insurance companies assume I drink and drive.
More than one insurance salesman has told me this after quoting me a ridiculous price.
In fact TD and RBC insurance will NOT insure someone that has a careless.
And the big piss off to me is that I've never gotten a ticket on my bike.
The ticket goes away in December so if i wait i can ride next year, but this riding the bus shit is getting pretty lame. and i have bills.

·
comrade moderator
26,984 Posts
We're halfway through this year already. Mothball the bike till next year, but don't sell it.
It's an '04 749R...the bestest of them all!!

·
Registered
218 Posts
I just saw your ad. That beautiful low mileage bike will sell real quick. Don't let any test riders on her with out full payment in cash in hand. Since you don't have insurance, be careful of getting scammed by asshole that gets your address just to steal the bike. Yea, I worry too much.
To bad about the dui.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts