Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I'm trying to learn, bear with me here... I can set my TPS to 150mv at 0 degree throttle angle but then at 2.6 degrees I'm showing somewhere around 355mv, not the specified 423mv. How important is it to be correct? Has anyone ever seen this before? My searches come up empty.

I did find an old Brad Black post where he said some TPS's are set lower or higher from the factory.

I guess what I need to know is which is the most important number, 150 or 2.6 or 423? What would you do?

·
Premium Member
5,610 Posts
I would go with throttle angle and see where it puts you. If you use the software to get 2.6 degrees and the then can't get the idle speed or CO where you want it, fall back to the the correct voltage setting.

But first, make sure when you set the 0 degrees at 150mV that you have been careful to let the butterfly seat properly, not forced too deep or even not in deep enough. Make sure the bore is clean of debris and there is nothing on the valve that is keeping it from closing fully. Rear TB link rod should be removed and of course stop screw and fast idle linkage out of the way.

I clean and inspect as above, let the valve close gently in the bore and then give it a light tap with my finger. Not particularly scientific but is repeatable and I get pretty close to hitting the numbers, favoring angle if there is a slight disparity.

·
Premium Member
5,610 Posts
...I'll add that I feel if you're going to use the software for throttle angle, use it. If you're going to go the DVM route, do that. I don't know there is any true benefit to doing both unless you can't get a good end result (meaning it runs and idles as it should) with one method or the other. Easy to say, I do check both and have had good luck with seeing the numbers I am supposed to see, but when I started doing this there was no software to use unless you had the very expensive Ducati tester. All you had was the DVM so that is what I am comfortable with. I doubt a shop would get out a DVM if they are using the software, maybe if they had to fall back for troubleshooting, but likely not for a general set up that is otherwise going well.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the input! I'm going to keep experimenting but before I read your reply I decided to leave it at 150mv at 0 degree throttle angle (with eveything unhooked, cleaned and just a gentle tap on the butterfly) and just let the other numbers fall where they may at a good idle and see how it is. It's definitely running smoother and better than it was before but I feel like it still has room for improvement.

The method I used was a DVM on the TPS wires and IAWDiag with Lonelec cables to read the throttle angle.

I'll try again using your advice by throttle angle and report back.

·
Registered
2,410 Posts
150mv with throttle closed, linkage disconnected and fast idle screw released is the baseline setting.

2.6 degrees is the idle setting. i use the degrees, not mv. not sure why they vary, but they do.

i use 423mv on 996, because we were doing that before we started using degrees. it's just a convention. as ss says, use one or the other and stop worrying about it.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
belter, I'm glad to hear from you that they vary. I think I'm getting the gist of it now. It's funny how a task that seems so daunting at first becomes so simple once you understand it a little.

Thanks guys, I appreciate the info!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts