Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been riding my 2003 ST4s for the past several weeks since it got warm and I notice that when I stay on the rear brake for a bit too long the brakes make a horrible screeching sound. It sounds like I am locking up the rear tire and leaving a trail of rubber, but I am not. :(

The bike has just turned 4300 miles and I did not notice this until just recently. Any ideas what it might be or how to fix it? :confused:

·
Registered
403 Posts
Kevin, I have the same machine and have not experienced that squeal. I know that many have said the same as you.

Clean the pads and disc. Consider Scotchbriting the disc. SBS makes anti squeal pads that you can add to the backing plates. NAPA has some silicone anti squeal that is simlar to the SBS in function.

BTW, I wanted more braking at the rear and through Yoyodyne bought a different Brembo pad. The new compound has not made the noise yet (new season just began in OH) so I have not done the above at this time on the new pads. Should you want the Brembo number, send me a PM.

Dave Harhay

·
Site Sponsor & Senior Member
193 Posts
Hey Kevin,
my 03 4s did it for a while, now its better.
a post a while ago talked about replacing the caliper bango bolts.
I know, what the ??? or rotating it more.
One other solution I've heard (different application) bevel the leading edge.
hope that helps
ps have you heard about DucatiDesigns, headlight?
big improvement!

www.ducatidesigns.com

·
Registered
164 Posts
Can't say what's causing the screech but using the rear brake like that is more appropriate for your Bulldog than it is for a sportbike because of the difference in weight over the rear tire. I pretty much only use my rear brake in slow speed turns where I don't want the weight transfer of using the front brake upsetting the bike's handling.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Tipst4er said:
Can't say what's causing the screech but using the rear brake like that is more appropriate for your Bulldog than it is for a sportbike because of the difference in weight over the rear tire. I pretty much only use my rear brake in slow speed turns where I don't want the weight transfer of using the front brake upsetting the bike's handling.
Thanks Tipst4er, This is the first sportbike I have had and it does handle differently (read that as much better, more fun and responsive) than the cruisers like the Bigdog. I am trying to use the front brake more and lighten up on the rear. ;)

·
Registered
105 Posts
Comments on role of front brake are true, but if you are having to hang on the front brake hard coming to lights or a stop sign you are probably living dangerously - especially as ST's don't have steering damping. The road surface at an intersection is usually one big oil slick, with more has more oil and glycol etc on it than a mechanic's shop pit..... Light use of the rear in slowish traffic makes sense.

Doc;)

·
Registered
105 Posts
PS

My rear brake makes the same noise.... at least the cagers know your coming. Forget it ... if the brakes work why worry?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Rear Brake Screech

I had same problem on my 04 ST3. I have fixed the problem by taking the brake ststem off, removing the brake pads, spraying the lot with brake clean spray to remove all the brake dust, then apply copper slip greaser to the rear of the brake pads (only a small amount though) and a bit of the same to the brake piston(s), then reassemble. No prblems since. Whole process took about 5 minutes.

Hope this helps.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.