Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

21 - 37 of 37 Posts

·
Excel Addict
2001 900SSie
5,345 Posts
With the 59M XDF and bin loaded to Tunerpro.

Highlight from the top left to the bottom right cells by dragging the mouse or click on the top left, then using the scroll bars to first "see" the bottom right cell.

Then holding the shift key, click on the bottom RH cell and all should be highlighted.

Now click Control C to copy the table values.

Go to an Excel file and click on say cell A1.

Then click Control V to paste the values.

I have found that the top left cell is text not a numerical value, so I just enter the numerical value and all is good.
Now you have the 59M values.

Now back to TunerPro.
Open the XDF and bin for the new 5AM.

Expand/open the map that corresponds to what you just pasted to Excel.

Now this is a bit weird, dunno why, but it works.

Back to Excel and highlight all the table cells and one extra row - I.e. at the far right hand bottom cell, one more row.

Then Edit copy or Control C to put the values into the clipboard.

Now back to TunerPro, highlight all the cells like you did to copy the values from the 59M.

Then Control V to paste the 59M values to the 5AM bin.

If you close that 5AM bin file it will ask you to commit or similar.
Click OK or whatever is the positive response.

Now you can do something like File, Save Bin as and give it a new name.

Once saved, you can then use IAW Writer to write this new bin to the ECU.

Just waiting for CB4265 to get his old iPhone with FaceTime so I can see what he is doing!

Reactions: chris_k

·
Registered
3,883 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Thank you again Punch. That's a great reminder, about copying/pasting the cells into Excel, and then doing the same into the new ECU. I've read similar posts by you in the past, and it made sense then, as it does now. So thank you for the refresh!

On a side note, I've written a request to Haloguy628, because he has an S4R with the 996 engine, and he's using a 5AM ECU, so I've asked him for a copy of his bin file. Here's his response:
-----------------------
I will send you the map. It's a DP map for full Term I system with SPS cams. I have full Arrow and stock cams and the bike runs good. I'm not very familiar with ST4 but vaguely remember that there may be some compatibility issues with your instrument cluster. Anyway send your email and I'll send you the map and some resources I used.
-----------------------

So I just sent him a PM this evening with my email. Looking fwd to see his bin file and any other tricks he may have to offer.

Speaking of compatibility weirdness, I did notice that when my bike started with the 5AM from the HM 1100 S, the radiator fan was running - even though the engine was very cold...

So I do see that I'll be needing to address these type of issues.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Stick email with the files sent. One still has the immobilizer on and the other has it turned off.

I believe the radiator fan running is normal if your ST4s has only one radiator fan. I believe it's a safety feature on bikes with two fans. I noticed it when I painted my radiator and forgot to plug in one of the fans. The other fan ran all the time no matter what the coolant temp was. As soon as I plugged the other fan all was normal and the fans triggered at 220+F.

·
Registered
3,883 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
1/16/18 update: Still alive... I actually downloaded the map from Haloguy. Amazed at the "guzzi" IAM SW. It erased what was in the ECU first. Then downloaded the new file.

That said, the bike seemed to take much longer to start, and the fan came on at first twist of the key. I may go back to the HM1100s file to see if starting was better, and then have to figure out how to get rid of the "second" fan (my ST4s only has ONE fan!!)

Very slow progress on my part because "IT'S TOO F'N COLD TO BE WORKIN' ON THE BIKE UP HERE IN THE GREAT FROZEN NORTHEAST USA!!!"

Garage is uninsulated, and 15F is not appealing at all...

·
Registered
3,977 Posts
the only 5am file that will work is the update look st4s, and it won't have an air pressure input because that is canbus from the dash on the update dash.

s4r has the second fan and can only be turned off in the software by someone who knows how the software works. i commissioned nathan (impulsive duc) to do it for me.

the hm ecu works because it doesn't have the red key inspired immo coding like all the earlier ecu.

·
Registered
3,883 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
Just an update to tell you that I'm still using the 5AM ECU on the ST4s. Using a DP map from a newer ST4s. Seems to have a bit more power and torque (as seen by the front wheel coming up in 3rd gear now -- it never use to do that!)

So I guess that it assumes sea-level pressure, since my 2003 does not have the CAN bus dash.

I haven't gone up thru serious elevation changes yet. May get brave next year to see what it does up in the White Mtns.

For now, I'm at least enjoying my time on my beloved ST4s.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Just an update to tell you that I'm still using the 5AM ECU on the ST4s. Using a DP map from a newer ST4s. Seems to have a bit more power and torque (as seen by the front wheel coming up in 3rd gear now -- it never use to do that!)

So I guess that it assumes sea-level pressure, since my 2003 does not have the CAN bus dash.

I haven't gone up thru serious elevation changes yet. May get brave next year to see what it does up in the White Mtns.

Any chance you can share the BIN and XDF you are using? I may have a go at this sometime soon. Found a 1098 ecu for a decent price. PM me if you would prefer.

Matt

·
Registered
29 Posts

Have you looked at installing an ST3 digital instrument cluster with the baro sensor built in? Would probably also need to install a speedo pickup sensor and do a bit of wiring I guess...

·
Registered
29 Posts
Thanks to Stick I got my 2002 ST4S running on a 5AMHW610 using a DP map from a 2005 ST4S. Can't wait to take it for a ride and see how it runs.

Looking at JPDiag the atmospheric pressure reading stays at 1013mBar as expected because the new ECU should get it's barometric reading from the dash via canbus.

My next project might be to get hold of a dash from a ST3 as well as a rear wheel speed sensor and see if I can get it mounted pretty well and wire it into this ECU.
I need to go through the wiring diagrams in detail to see what other sensors I might be missing from the newer model.

Now to work on putting together an XDF for this map...

·
Premium Member
52 Posts
TuneECU and a Fried IAW5AW HW610 ECU

I am sorry I am hitchhiking this post, but I have a similar issue going on with my 2004 ST3 without abs...
A dealer serviced my bike over a year ago, I only roade it for about 10 miles and put it away until a few weeks ago. Problem was the bike just did not idle well, and it felt like the throttle sync was off in top gear. I was looking to get the ST3 back on the road and first I wanted to start new with the total service, re set the TPS, sync the throttle bodies, set the trim and the co2.

My thought was to re flash the ecu, and go thru the whole tune up process. I had the feeling the dealer took my $700 and did not do anything correctly with their tuneup. BTW, this dealer is no longer in business, so I could not go back to them. I hooked up my Centurion Tool to check the TPS and idle. I found the TPS was set at 4.7 and the idle was 1300. the Ducati manual states it should be 403 volts or 2.3 for the TPS and the idle around 1100 or 1200 rpm.

I purchased the TuneECU software and Lonelec cables and connected to my tablet and the cable to my diagnostic plug on my bike. Oh the tablet I am using is a Asus Zen Pad Z8. The minute I hit connect the fan started running and the OBD light was on. The temp gauge did not show the anything but a bunch of dashed lines. I must have fried the ecu, but the bike does run but not really well. I re installed my Centurion Tool and noticed that the TPS was not stable going from 2.0 up to 2.9 and back down to 2.1. Idle was poor if not it did not die first.

So I must say I am afraid to try the TuneECU tool again, this tool can replace the Centurion diagnostic tool, but it is not working correctly with my tablet. I sent a note to the developer of TuneECU and he sent me to Ducati.MS on some post about frying ECUs and stated that polarity is a major cause of killing an ECU. But a thing to remember, the TuneECU is mostly used on Triumphs, so I am only thinking that Ducati ECUs are something they are not use to working with. I get the feeling they don't know what is going on.

My thought now was to get the DP Race re flashed and just don't even try a re flashing program tool on the Ducati. Just like I use to do, set the TPS with the way Brad Black does and use my Centurion tool to set the trim and re set the wrench light when needed. Now who do I send the ECU to get re flashed? Ducati Depot, Rexxer? I am gun shy to try any other type of ecu map swapping tool again.
Mark

·
Excel Addict
2001 900SSie
5,345 Posts
I am sorry I am hitchhiking this post, but I have a similar issue going on with my 2004 ST3 without abs...
I have not quoted all your post as others can read it.

Do not despair.

My guess is that you accidentally hooked up the red and black power cables to the Lonelec adapter incorrectly, as in reversed to polarity and blew part of the ECU, but not a catastrophe.

If so, then it is not TuneECU, but you and that is not a criticism.

The erratic behaviour is probably because you blew a part of the ECU and it no longer has a correct reference to battery negative.
This reference is critical for the TPS and ECU to have the same battery negative/ground reference.

The first thing I suggest that you do is connect the Lonelec red and black cables to the correct poles of the battery.
You do not need to plug the adapter into your computer.
Now plug in the 3 pin (Fiat) plug to the diagnostic port on your bike.
This will now provide battery negative to the ECU via the diagnostic port.
It now should run, albeit at too high idle RPM, as before you connected the TuneECU kit.

If so the you are one step forward.
Nothing against TuneECU, I have used it on Benelli TNT Walbro ECU and a Triumph Sagem ECU from memory.

My preferred software for Ducatis using Magnetti Marelli ECUs (15M, 5AM, 59M) is the IAW suite of software from the creators of GuzziDiag.

You can then use IAW Diag to look at TP reset etc. and change it as per Brad's instructions.

If the bike idles OK, but crap like before you connected TuneECU, when you have the Lonelec adapter connected and powered, then you will need to do a permanent modification for those times when you do not have the Lonelec adapter connected.

This is quite simple.
Run a wire from the centre pin of the bike's diagnostic port to battery negative,
This will then provide battery negative/ground to the ECU.

·
Registered
88 Posts

Hello Stick, I'm attempting a 5AM conversion on my 2003 ST4s as well, any chance you still have that .bin file you used?

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
29 Posts
Hello Stick, I'm attempting a 5AM conversion on my 2003 ST4s as well, any chance you still have that .bin file you used?

Thanks in advance!
I hope Stick and Stelios dont mind me posting these, but here are the files that I used which I understand originated from Stelios/stelbo (2005 Last year for ST4s? What ECU?)

The DP map seems to be the one that works for everyone so far, but I have attached them both for completeness.

Attachments

·
Registered
373 Posts
This is the most informative single thread I have seen regarding bins, xdfs, 59m, and 5am! Incredible. Now, there is on thing from my investigations of 59M vs 5AM: the pinouts might be different! You must critique each pin of the ecu and document its use in a spreadsheet! Further, the wiring harness might make a difference between which ECU can work the wrong way vs will not work. I believe my case was a 2003 m620 with 59M and we got a wiring harness for a 620 that expected a 5AM. There was a wire (maybe for kickstand?) that was in a position that made the swap physically impossible. The same might go for the dashboards. Always reference the wiring diagrams for the donor and transplant models; and wiring diagrams are typically only found in service manuals. Just because the connectors are the same doesn't mean it is at all going to work - each of the few times I've tried, there were problems ranging from doesn't work to unexpected behavior (but at least you can ride).

21 - 37 of 37 Posts