Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings,

Riding season is just around the corner in these parts and the bikes are being made ready. In doing so I was reminded of the difference between the 1975 Honda 360 and the Ducati in terms of first gear engagement. The Honda is near silent the ST on the other hand has very distinct CLUNK when going from neutral to first (yes, the clutch lever is engaged). There's NO clunk when going from second gear to first, just a nice click. Being a 1st year, 1st time owner of a Ducati I thought maybe that's the way they work. Then I got to thinking how unsettling that sound can be when it's heard and felt. Hmmmmm? Is there a future repair in store? Maybe some preventative maintenance is in order. I'd like to fix what needs fixing while the bike is at home...... if need be. Thanks

·
Just Visiting Your Planet
9,912 Posts
They clunk going into first. It's typical. When's the last time you changed your oil? Fresh oil helps.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
They clunk going into first. It's typical.
Thank you Yorik for your quick reply. Now I can sleep better at night. Maybe it's a good reminder of, "you're about to engage in risk taking behavior......ride within your skill set" Thanks again

·
Registered
1,779 Posts
It's normal for this to occur --change your oil & filter with the correct oil & just for the hell of it bleed the clutch just to make sure there is no air in the system----then if the noise still freeks your out ---Ride the Honda lol

·
Super Moderator
5,298 Posts
I'll throw in my 2 cents too. Yup...they clunk. I typically change my oil at about the 4,000 mile mark...i can definitely notice the transmission shifting smoother after the fresh oil.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'll throw in my 2 cents too. Yup...they clunk. I typically change my oil at about the 4,000 mile mark...i can definitely notice the transmission shifting smoother after the fresh oil.
Thanks for the chuckle Renn. The Ducati has soul and is captivating. It's just that on the initial launch of the day I wish it sound less like a Farmall H tractor engaging.

·
Registered
1,779 Posts
Thanks for the chuckle Renn. The Ducati has soul and is captivating. It's just that on the initial launch of the day I wish it sound less like a Farmall H tractor engaging.
You should ride an old BMW from the early 50's --then you would laugh at the little clunk you hear on the Ducati lol

Reactions: Stick

·
Registered
3,161 Posts
i wouldn't say they clunk, unless the clutch is dragging or the idle speed is too high.

·
Registered
410 Posts
I had made this same comment years ago on here. My Honda Blackbird had the silkiest gear box and had no clunk when going from neutral to 1st. I then got the ST3 and wham, fairly decent clunk from neutral to 1st. Changing the oil doesn't seem to make it better for me and I use pretty much the most expensive oil on the planet (Motul).

·
Super Moderator
5,298 Posts
i wouldn't say they clunk, unless the clutch is dragging or the idle speed is too high.
True...maybe not a "clunk" but a "spirited snick" or "snap"
I do have the wet clutch...so maybe there's a difference there.

·
Registered
533 Posts
Seems to me the clutch plates aren't disengaging quickly which happens alot with aftermarket slaves or improper lever adjustment. Do you have an open clutch cover? Adjust your lever so you see that the pressure plate stops spinning.There is an adjustment screw on stock levers.. Pull the lever and wait 5 seconds, is the clunk less? There's no clunk if if the internal gears aren't rotating. Am I right or not guys?

Reactions: Stick

·
Registered
3,931 Posts
I agree with the fact that the clutch is not disengaging totally. My 2003 ST4s does not disengage as well as my former 1998 ST2. And both use the same clutches. On my ST2, on a cold start (thicker oil), I could pull in the lever, and watch the clutch spin down to near zero (open clutch cover), and with that, there was no noise from N to 1st. ST4s does not do the same -- I wish it did.

·
Registered
1,727 Posts
If you are riding with a number of different brands of bikes in a group. Take note when other riders click into first. IMO most bikes have a significant "clunk" when engaging first gear and yes It can be a little worrying if you are not used to it. On the other hand my V11 with the shaft drive has almost no clunk at all..:)

·
Registered
3,931 Posts
As Corse1 mentioned, the big dry clutch on the 'Guzzi's and my old R100RS, I had to make sure to engage 1st within a second or 2, while there was still some motion, otherwise, occasionally, 1st would not fully engage. Or, feather the clutch out slightly, while applying slight pressure to the shifter, to complete the shift.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts