Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've recently discovered that someone has fondled my baby and left her psychologically damaged. Has anyone had to recover from the dreaded TPS reset? If so what did you do?

Belter offered this promising bit of info in my other thread: "if you read the file out of the ecu and flash it back in again it may "reset" it. i've done that before and had it give a seemingly appropriate result."

That sounds like it's worth a shot, would I use the VDST software? I found some info over on guzzidiag about flashing but I'm still wrapping my head around it.

·
Registered
530 Posts
It's been awhile since I've owned an '03, but I think it's a little more complicated than pressing the reset button on that model. I recall it being a manual procedure involving wrenches and a voltmeter. I think there's a well written procedure by Brad Black (apologies if I've credited incorrectly) on the forum somewhere that gives you a step-by-step on TPS adjustment for your bike.

·
Premium Member
5,564 Posts
It's been awhile since I've owned an '03, but I think it's a little more complicated than pressing the reset button on that model. I recall it being a manual procedure involving wrenches and a voltmeter. I think there's a well written procedure by Brad Black (apologies if I've credited incorrectly) on the forum somewhere that gives you a step-by-step on TPS adjustment for your bike.

All true, and that is the problem. You're not supposed to press the reset button on these bikes. The manual TPS adjustment would not come in to spec because it appears a prior owner tried to reset it via software. We were able to set 150mV and read zero degree throttle angle on the diagnostic app, but adjusting the throttle stop screw to the specified 423mV did not give the specified 2.6 degree throttle angle that it should have. 423mV put us at a mid 3 degree angle. We were suspicious anyway because the starting values did not make sense. We were maybe around 360 mV and reading 2.4 to 2.6 degrees throttle. We made note of the starting values just in case we needed to return to them, which we did...

In the end the bike ran better than it did when we started, but that has more to do with a vacuum balance (it was off) and balancing CO with the bleeds. Horizontal cylinder was reading over 10 for CO with the vertical somewhere around 4.5 or so. We broke the rules and used the stop screw to adjust idle speed since we had no idea where things really were in terms of throttle angle at a given point on the TPS anyway. It needs to be addressed and I think tosaw is on the right track with his questions.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks SS904, I couldn't have said it better. I went out for about an hour and a half today and the bike is running wonderfully! The vibration hasn't changed and is maybe even more noticeable now that the engine is so smooth though so I'm going to look into the tire balance again.

Here's a couple of things I'm thinking about:

It seems that even if I find a used ECU, it'll need to be flashed anyway, is that correct?

I'm considering a race map or performance ECU if available, does anyone know a current supplier? A quick google search didn't show me anything recent.

·
Registered
1,148 Posts
Assuming you can verify the ECU to be the original, why not get it flashed vs buying another? The replacement may be defective or even the wrong type. I forget the number assigned to the MM ECU for this bike, but it is identical in appearance to the ECU for the '02. But they are different computer architecture. Bobby at Houston Superbike did mine. Works fine.

Also, to throw a wrench into the overall procedure for approaching this matter, consider the TPS may be worn out. Yes, they do wear, especially at the most used position -- > at or near idle. No, they aren't any longer available from Ducati. But CA Cycle Works (now in GA!) had some made and each comes with a test certificate. If you cannot get the zero position of the TB blades to read the proper voltage, it may be shot.

Steve

·
Super Moderator
4,645 Posts
Assuming you can verify the ECU to be the original, why not get it flashed vs buying another? The replacement may be defective or even the wrong type. I forget the number assigned to the MM ECU for this bike, but it is identical in appearance to the ECU for the '02. But they are different computer architecture. Bobby at Houston Superbike did mine. Works fine.

Also, to throw a wrench into the overall procedure for approaching this matter, consider the TPS may be worn out. Yes, they do wear, especially at the most used position -- > at or near idle. No, they aren't any longer available from Ducati. But CA Cycle Works (now in GA!) had some made and each comes with a test certificate. If you cannot get the zero position of the TB blades to read the proper voltage, it may be shot.

Steve
Thought about the TPS too. But the read out of the throttle angle was pretty consistent at the closed position, and very "smooth" when running through the range. No signs of aberrant signals in any position.

I agree about checking out Houston Superbike's reflash of the existing unit.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts