Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Was riding down the road, all of a sudden my speed read zero and hasn't worked since. Odometer has also stopped working. I replaced the speed sensor because the old one has a crack in the casing exposing the wires. I've looked over all the wiring harnesses and I don't see anything immediately wrong with it.

Mechanically the bike is functioning just fine, accelerating is phenomenal, it has no problem getting to top speed (not that I've gone that fast...) but it smells a bit rich? the exhaust smells of gasoline, more than I think it should. is this the ECU going? The instrument cluster? as I understand both have to be replaced because they are 'mated'.

I'd really like to figure this out myself without having to resort to going to the dealership. I have a multi-meter for testing voltage and continuity. Any help is greatly appreciated!

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
GOD DANGIT I AM SUCH A FLIPPIN DINGUS.

There's a small fuse box tucked underneath the ECU/EFI computer. Under the box marked 'speed' there lied a blown 5 amp fuse. I've deduced that the corrosion on the exposed wires in the speed sensor shorted out and caused the fuse in the box to blow!

And as far as the bike smelling like it was running rich. As I was going through the bike cleaning/greasing all the electrical connectors I found that the screw on the ground of the battery terminal was stuck in the hole, it just wasn't threaded in properly. I replaced the bolt on the bottom of the terminal. As i rode the bike out of my driveway I immediately noticed that it had more power at lower rpms, it also idled better, and overall had better acceleration. I'm guess an intermittent ground was causing the electronics to malfunction possibly causing a weak spark?

Well, All the issues I was having seem to be resolved. If anyone here has any general maintenance tips and maybe some pointers on the major points of failure on this bike I would be ecstatic if you would share them.

Don't forget to tune in next week for "WHAT IN THE GODANG FLIPPIN HECK IS WRANG WITH MY DUUUUCATIII
"

1 - 2 of 2 Posts