Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, I'm new to this forum and potentially will be a Ducati owner soon!

I'm looking at buying a 2003 Monster 620 used that's a bit rough. It's been dropped, with tank dented but I'm thinking of getting it for a project. The owner says at some point, he thinks he 'fried' the ECU and now the bike only starts with key in ignition and "ON" when he jumps the starter solenoid with a wire. I've witnessed this. He does not have the red key anymore and cannot reprogram the ECU.

My question is, is this going to be a big headache for me moving forward if I get the bike? I've read many threads about reprogramming the ECU to disable the immobilizer but I would like to keep it if possible and also not have to pay a ton to reprogram the ECU. If the ECU is in fact fried, I'm not sure if it can be reprogrammed. It the ECU was fried, would the bike still run normally? I was only able to test ride the bike in a an alleyway, getting into second so I could not really tell if there was a fuel mapping issue or anything like that. I've also read that there's a way to wire the bike permanently the bypass the immobilizer? Is that possible?

Finally, is it possible that it's not an immobilizer issue and the ECU isn't fried? Ie., Could it just require replacing the starter solenoid? I'm not exactly sure how the solenoid works with the immobilizer...

Any help would be appreciated. I'm trying to figure out how much I should budget for fixing this issue and whether it's worth it. Thanks in advance!

P.S. Should I post this to the Monster thread instead?

·
Premium Member
884 Posts
If the bike starts and runs the ECU is probably fine.

Maybe the starter solenoid is fuct, does it make the click sound when starter button is pressed?

Make sure the battery good.

EDIT-Yes, get this moved to Monster section, you are sure to find more help there.

·
Registered
22 Posts
In my experience, when bike starts by jumping the solenoid. It denotes a bad solenoid.

·
Registered
815 Posts
If you want to retain the immoblizer function, you'll probably want the key code to deactivate it should it trigger. If the owner doesn't have this, the only solution I'm aware of is to send the dash somewhere like SOS Diagnostics to have them pull the code. Last I checked, they charged around $450 to pull the code and program new red and black keys.

·
Registered
3,534 Posts
on the 59m ecu the starter circuit goes through the ecu, and the ecu earths the solenoid if the immo is happy and has told the ecu it can start.

that circuit in the ecu can die, and the bike will no longer start. you could test it by checking to see if the non powered side of the solenoid trigger is being earthed, or if just earthing it out makes it crank. if you use a test light and probe both solenoid trigger wires, one wire will light the light as it's 12v, the other will give an earth path and should make it crank. if the solenoid is ok.

it could also be a solenoid fault.

i would normally put a non immo ecu in it and see if it cranked. if so, bad ecu. if not, look further.

you can add more wires from the start switch to the solenoid bypassing the loom and ecu and just power the solenoid old school style. it should start and run then, and shouldn't have an immo fault.

if it has an immo fault the yellow lights on the dash will stay on. the fact you have had it running means there is no immo fault.

·
Excel Addict
2001 900SSie
5,345 Posts
As Belter wrote, do the voltage tests to see if voltage is getting to the solenoid coil connector.

Not sure if it applies to your model, but that connector can move slightly away from its connection point.
Looks like it is connected, but is not.
Try pushing the connector to see if that is it.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts