Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
http://www.ducati-owners-group.c
2,008 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello folks,

Thought it would be good to start a thread with information for the 999 series owners to see what problems we they have at what miles..Would like to know what to expect as more miles roll on..Not maintenance.... just broken stuff...

2004 999r, 11k miles, bought new
Blown fork seals at 3500 miles
Replaced clutch plates at 3500 miles

·
Registered
81 Posts
'03 999 11,500 miles. So far-

Severely oxidized front coil. Random bizarre digital display issues with clock (i.e. h displayed instead of 8). Oh, the gear shift pivot bolt was loose around 6,000 miles.

·
Registered
357 Posts
04 999, 12000km, changed tyres at 4800 and again at 11000km, apart from that had some starting issues at about 8000km, but resolved them by getting a battery tender, and at about 10 000km started to see moisture inside the rev counter - all servicing done on time, need new clutch plates now otherwise faultless.... Ahh nearly forgot, see some oil seepage from the horizontal tapet cover... One other irritating thing is the small compartments moulded into the engine casing behind the vertical cylinder where little stones collect and water after a wash.. Just irritating that's all.

·
Registered
2,794 Posts
'05 999, 11,352 miles, ZERO issues...well, the damn tires keep wearing out. :D Got a fresh set on now though.

·
Chilehead
6,984 Posts
'05 999, 11,352 miles, ZERO issues...well, the damn tires keep wearing out. :D Got a fresh set on now though.
Yes, I consistently get 2500 miles/set.

Only thing that broke was the license plate holder (lost my plate somewhere in norther Italy last year). And the dash glass appears to be cracked.

The clutch pump needs to be bled insider the reservoir every couple weeks, and the rear brake every few months.

The left front Ohlins started leaking last year, so I had all the shocks rebuilt last fall.

I had the belts replaces at the 10k km service, just to be safe, though they looked fine.

The EOBD light will com on (and stay on) every so often, for no reason, but will go away after a few restarts, no error code indicated.

This is on a 2003 999R bought new in 2007, and first registered in 2008 (had to use dealer plates for the first 6 months of riding until the paperwork issues got sorted out).

Tom

·
Registered
1,955 Posts
05, base 999 at 5,000 miles need an upper coolant hose replaced, master clutch slave kept getting air in it, sold that bike before I fixed that. 05 999s now will 6K on it, coolant hoses are deforming, will need to replace them, snugging up the clamp fixed a small leak. Clutch master replaced due to air leak in orginal. New tires. Brake pads look great even with 6k miles. Both bikes needed the rear brake res bled, done once it held up every since (corrected soft brake feeling/poor brake performance). Normal oil changes and air cleaner service done. Both bikes were/are very reliable, no major issues. Stater motor on both bikes sounds like hell from time to time. If you don't get a quick start they made a horrible engagement sound. I have heard this on more then a few 999, but it doesn't seem to effect anything.

·
Registered
56 Posts
turn signal "right side of switch"

mine just went. it doesnt stay activated. tricky trick to make a slow right hander in city from stop light while apply force to cluth and switch.

going to take it apart tonight, hopefuly just some crud in it..

anyone know where there is a fiche of this assembly?

·
Banned
11,256 Posts
My buddies 999R motor blew up at roughly 2500 miles, few years back. Another friend's 999S motor had the flywheel nut come loose and it catastrophically failed. Neither bike's had ever seen track time and both had low mileage.

What I've learned in terms of the motors is quite simple. They're built tightly so they'll last longer over time as they loosen up. The only catch with that is; if you're really beating on the motor with racing or track-days only, you'll actually be burning out the rod bearings very quickly. Motor life decreases substantially with abuse and you'll be paying dearly for it.

My 749R has 3k on it, 100% race miles and I've not had any issues related to the bike, just related to the abuse I toss at it. Love the bike, though I'm sure will be paying dearly for it when she finally fails... :(

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
2,061 Posts
'03 999 9,500 miles, 4 days of track time.

Occasional stalling issue when the motor is not allowed to fully warm up before starting off.

Chews up tires.

That is all.

·
Registered
1,443 Posts
'03 749 Base model. 12K the front brake master cylinder failed and replaced under warrenty. One cooling hose failed at 15K and replaced under warrenty. Fuel pump had a wire fail in the base plate and the module had to be replaced at 27K (the pump itself was fine), First clutch replaced at 11K, second clutch and basket at 18K, third at 28K. Too many tires to remember, currently have 33K on the clock.

·
Registered
21 Posts
2004 749 biposto 4500 miles

rear left turn signal fell off during the first ride home from the dealer
broken wire to the fuel pump at the tank flange
the bike fell down in turn 2 at barber motorsports park

·
Registered
2,441 Posts
no issues really,the oil cooler,dash and coils were replaced while the bike was under warranty,but all those were recall issues.replaced the clutch plates and brake pads at 18,000 miles although they were still serviceable(i somewhat strip the bike in the long winters here)at 22,000 i installed a 999s motor for a change,its run flawless for the 3,000 miles its been in.fwiw i've never needed to bleed the brakes or clutch,but have done so at the reccomended intervals.personally i feel from what i've seen or read ,most ducatis seem to be problem free ,with the odd bike having cronic problems for what seems to be no reason

·
Registered
234 Posts
'03 999s, 16k+ miles, ZERO issues. If only my flight department was this reliable.

·
Resident Raggamuffin
9,716 Posts
illuminated wrench (post initial service, cannot be turned off) on the speedo/dash affecting some 2003 999R's.

·
Registered
227 Posts
My old 2003 999 had to have the coils replaced at 3,000 miles. The clutch was gone by then too and was replaced with a Barnett Quiet clutch. Boy, was that a mistake from the get go. Then around 5,000 miles the immobilizer crapped out.

·
Premium Member
1,059 Posts
'05 999s Mono. At 10k mile service found valve shim retainer rings broken at two valves.

·
Premium Member
8,740 Posts

·
Registered
117 Posts
2006 999S with Termi kit:

Other than retuning to eliminate stalling issue, the only problem I had was a leaking Ohlins steering damper. Sent off to Ohlins Service and rebuilt with 1 week total turnaround time.

·
Super Senior Poster
6,328 Posts
The only big issue is there is oil in the plug wells...I'll fix that when I replace the cam covers w/ magnesium ones. My kickstand bracket has has come loose-just applied thread locker and reinstalled the bolts....check that and be sure!
The oil cooler has taken a beating..just replaced that w/a new one. Just checked the belts and they appear to be fine after nearly 6000.....but heck my dealer never changed the plugs or checked the valves, now I'm wondering if they replaced the belts?
My engine just purrs.....sounds strong (knock on wood)! I would just suggest too doubled check that kickstand bracket and make sure it's tight!

1 - 20 of 35 Posts