Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am really hoping someone can help me out here. I have a 2003 999S and this bike just will not start. I have replaced the spark plugs and I have used three differant brands NGK, DENSO and the stock Champion plugs... gapped them all, removed the gas tank and drained, replaced the fuel filter... checked belts and chanrged the battery, I have checked to make sure I have a spark and I do on both the upper and forward plugs. Any ideas?

Thanks much
Dwane

·
Registered
1,062 Posts
so you have spark.
check fuel delivery. is the fuel pump priming when you turn the ignition on?
fuel lines might be pinched.
check fuel pump fuse/relay.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I do have spark and the pump is priming. as for the fuel pump the only thing I have not done so far is test the pressure but I know that the pump is pushing fuel through. I have completely drained the tank and hoses, put everything back together, turned the ignitian key, could hear the pump, took the hose off and had plenty of fuel. I am starting to wonder if it is the injectors.

·
Registered
797 Posts
Have you checked your Codes??? Which codes do you see???

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The starter does work... I pulled the belt covers off just to make sure everything was turning over the way it should be... also wanted to check the belts.

·
Registered
797 Posts
Checking your codes are simple.
1. Turn off your bike, wait 10 seconds, minimum
2. Hold left button, adjacent to speed-o down, prior to turning on key
3. Turn on key, holding button down
4. Within a couple of seconds there will be a code on the bottom right side of the LCD display.

Let us know which code it shows

Cheers,
Mark

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Sweet! I will check it out and post it. I am not home at them moment so it may take a little bit.

Thanks for the post.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
ok, so I did what you said and I did not get any sort of code. When I turn the ignition on it go through the normal deal where is shows that it is a 999 S and US Spec then it goes to the normal screen and all it ever shows is the voltage at the bottom right corner and the mileage in the bottom left corner. I held the button down for at least 20 seconds and I had waited for about 15 before turning the key.

·
Registered
2,794 Posts
...and the voltage is?

·
Registered
20 Posts
As you said ealier, check the injectors. What's standard resistance on the factory injectors? Get in there with a multimeter. Should be a quick and easy check.

Is it even coughing and puffing to even try and turn over?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
The engine is turning over and it almost sounds like it is trying to ignite but nothing so far. It has been about 24 hours since I got the tank back on and got everything hooked up. Everytime I try to start it actually sounds better than the last.

·
Premium Member
8,729 Posts
Open the fuel cap and try to get a view of the fuel when you turn on the ignition. If it looks like a jacuzzi tub inside then likely a fuel pump hose came loose.

·
Registered
797 Posts
Still if you cannot read the codes something is wrong.

Key off
Push left button next to the tach down and hold it
Turn key on while holding button down
Keep holding left button down until it gives a code in the bottom right corner of the LCD

This procedure activates my codes, hmmm?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Still no error codes but I have the bike running... apparently after draining out all the fuel and then getting everything back together it takes a little time for the fuel to work it's way back to the injectors. I guess air was in the line.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts