Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Guys,

My 2003 999S has been running just fine (with the odd 34.0 error, see below) since I bought it in 2006. Yesterday, when firing it up after it had sat overnight, it suddenly only ran on the vertical cylinder.

This is what I did so far:
  1. Swapped the coils around. Same problem. Wiring loom/harness?
  2. Changed the main wiring loom/harness (yes, I had a NOS lying around :). Same problem.

I am suspecting one of two things:
  • The ECU has gone bonkers. After googling and reading I have come across several situations which point in this direction.
  • The crank sensor. Because the bike has been throwing up the infamous 34.0 error for years at random times and even though this code refers to the barometric sensor, most guys especially with 999S fixed it by changing the crank sensor. I have been ignoring this code since it has been random and mostly off.

What are your thoughts? I will try another crank sensor today from a friends 999. If that fails, then chances are it's the ECU, right?

Then comes the real tricky questions:
If the ECU has gone bonkers, would it be hardware or a software problem? Anybody in the know?
If software, would reflashing the ECU with for example Ducatidiag do the trick? Again, anyone who has done/fixed problems this way?

Any help will be most appreciated!

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Problem found: swapped ECU (my friend had a NIB for a 999 available) and problem gone.

Thus, ECU problem/death. Suddenly. Scary stuff...

·
Super Senior Poster
6,328 Posts
Interesting....my 2003 999 has been throwing a 34.0 error code intermittently lately. I PM'd a guy who tried washing the inside of his dash with contact cleaner hoping it would clean off that sensor. The problem disappeared but came back he said. Another guy said his crank sensor connector was loose, he reconnected it-problem solved. Another member replaced his horz. coil stick and that solved it......gheez' what a mess!
I mentioned this to my Ducati expert and he immediately said "Crank sensor". I tried disconnecting/connecting my CS and that at least turned the dash code light off for now. I'll try a used CS if it persists.

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
That guy who did the washing was me...

Anyway. I picked up two ECU's off ebay for about $40 each. One IAW59M (older for pre-2004 bikes, not reflashable) and one NIB IAW5AM which is reflashable and programmable with the Ducatidiag writer tool. So now I will buy the cables needed and get a license for the writer tool (100 Euro) and ALWAYS keep a spare ECU on the shelf!

Edit: Apparently, if your bike came with the 59M ECU, you can't plug in a 5AM without also swapping to the later style harness, lambda sensor(s) etc. At least that is what I have read so far. Once I get the ECU's I will test for myself and confirm.

Also: 59M is indeed also flashable. My misstake..

1 - 4 of 4 Posts