Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
366 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys ~~

the time has come to change the front and the rear tire.

Went to the Ducati dealer near by where I live ~ I am not going to say

which dealer ~! Paid $ 592.21 for a set of Michelin Pilot Power tires.

Since they didnt have the set in stock , I had to order them.

DID I PAY TOO MUCH ???? or is this is the price range for getting tires

at the Ducati Dealer ~ I just found some store over the web selling the

Pilot Power 2CT set for $ 289.95 including shipping.

Here is my question " shall I cancel the order ~ and buy a set from the

cheaper place??? Since I paid the money already , and the dealer placed

an order, would I be able to cancel the order from the dealer ???? "

Please let me hear what you think .

thank you for reading my thread. !!!!

Safe Riding everyone ~!!

·
Registered
2,794 Posts
Hmm, I just had a set of Bridgestone BT-016s in 190/55 and 120/70 mounted and balanced. Out the door for just under $270. Of course, I just took the wheels in and did all the removal and reinstall myself.

Looks like you paid full dealer retail. Ouch, imho.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Sorry but I think you did end up paying way too much. That seems way overpriced for a set of PP - even 2ct's shouldn't cost that much mounted and balanced. Whether or not you can cancel your order and get your money back is going to be up to the dealer. May I suggest a reputable shop - even though they may be a bit of a drive - www.europeancycleservices.com - they're in Middletown, NY and are terrific guys to deal with.

·
Registered
217 Posts
I'ld cancel the order in a heartbeat....but I wouldn't have ordered $600.00 worth of tires.
I paid $363.00 for a set of Pirelli Corsas in Watertown, NY for the Repsol. I also just found some Dunlop Qualifiers for my 04 999 for $225.00 shipped. New, not 3yrs old, dryrotted, etc...
You will ALWAYS find a better deal online than @ a dealer. There isn't as high a mark-up.
The place that changes tires already charges $100 (what a ripoff) to take off/put on new tires, so total cost is tire cost +$100.00
Still WAY cheaper than u paid.
Just my thoughts...

·
Registered
366 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hmm, I just had a set of Bridgestone BT-016s in 190/55 and 120/70 mounted and balanced. Out the door for just under $270. Of course, I just took the wheels in and did all the removal and reinstall myself.

Thanks for the recommendation !! I wouldnt mind a ride to a shop , that is

nice to deal with ~! I'll see if I can change my tire there ~~ !

·
Registered
366 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'ld cancel the order in a heartbeat....but I wouldn't have ordered $600.00 worth of tires.
I paid $363.00 for a set of Pirelli Corsas in Watertown, NY for the Repsol. I also just found some Dunlop Qualifiers for my 04 999 for $225.00 shipped. New, not 3yrs old, dryrotted, etc...
You will ALWAYS find a better deal online than @ a dealer. There isn't as high a mark-up.
The place that changes tires already charges $100 (what a ripoff) to take off/put on new tires, so total cost is tire cost +$100.00
Still WAY cheaper than u paid.
Just my thoughts...
Yeah ~!!! I should have gave a second thought before I sledded my card !!

I'll try to cancel the order ~ and buy a set over on line and just bring the

tire in to the dealer. If they allow me to bring it in ~!!

On top of the tire price I also have to pay the labor which is 105 per hour !!!

·
Registered
366 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

I wish I could take my wheels off my self ~ But like I said ~

I know its cheaper to get them on line ~ but as from a DUCATI dealer ~

Is this is the right price range ??? Also they charge 105 per hour labor ~!!

·
Registered
217 Posts
Yeah ~!!! I should have gave a second thought before I sledded my card !!

I'll try to cancel the order ~ and buy a set over on line and just bring the

tire in to the dealer. If they allow me to bring it in ~!!

On top of the tire price I also have to pay the labor which is 105 per hour !!!
Live & learn my friend..Best of luck anyway!

·
Registered
40 Posts
If you have a used cycle shop in your area, I might check them out as well. I have been ordering my tires online and taking them there to have them mounted, they charge $25 per tire. Last time I asked them about mounting fees, and came to find out if you order tires from them, they will mount them for free, and he said he can match most online pricing. Something worth checking out.

There are people who will only want a Ducati dealer touching their bikes, and that may be worth something in some cases, but for tires, as long as a shop can put a tire on a wheel without dinging it all up, one is as good as another IMO.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Thanks for the recommendation !! I wouldnt mind a ride to a shop , that is

nice to deal with ~! I'll see if I can change my tire there ~~ !
One of the many nice things about European Cycle Services is that they do not charge labor to mount and balance the tires you buy from them. They are a Michelin dealer to boot. Oh, also, there are a lot of great back roads to take to that shop from NYC.

·
Registered
26 Posts
nysid2007 sorry but it looks like you paid way too much for your tires but everything is expensive at the major Ducati dealers. It happens in the Japanese dealers also. I had a price quote of $520 from my local Kawasaki dealer for Pilot road 2's. That is full msrp plus delivery. It was then going to be more to mount them. I was so angry at the price they quoted that I never asked them about the total as I slammed the phone down. I am sure it would have been more than $620. I went to motorcyclesuperstore.com and looked up a local dealer on their list of approved tire installers. I called them and asked if they could mount them on my Kawasaki. The local dealer was very helpfull, really worked with me and acted like he wanted my business. They ordered the tires off line for me and made an appointment to fit them. Total was $396 fitted. Look to see if they have a local tire installer listed here.
http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com/123/MNGR/Motorcycle-Tires.aspx
Better luck with your next set of tires.

·
Registered
366 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Bill ~ thank you so much for your input ~!!! Like you said everything is

expensive at the dealers I guess!!! I am going to find it out and see if

I can cancel the order. Since the set was not in their shop , they placed

an order just for me. So if I get lucky I might be able to cancel the set

and just spend that $592 for some other maintenance on my bike .

I should have thought about putting a thread before I sledded my card

!!!

·
Registered
3,261 Posts
You'd save money pulling the wheels yourself. And to really save money buy a nomar tire changer or similar and do it yourself! I bought one a couple years ago and have changed loads of tires for myself and friends. Best money I ever spent, plus the added benefit of being able to do it carefully and not damage the wheels.

Chris

·
Registered
366 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
One of the many nice things about European Cycle Services is that they do not charge labor to mount and balance the tires you buy from them. They are a Michelin dealer to boot. Oh, also, there are a lot of great back roads to take to that shop from NYC.
This place sounds really a good deal ~!!! I am going to try to cancel the order

on monday~ If I cant cancel it ~ then I guess I learned my lesson ..

Thank you for the good info !!!!

·
Registered
366 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
You'd save money pulling the wheels yourself. And to really save money buy a nomar tire changer or similar and do it yourself! I bought one a couple years ago and have changed loads of tires for myself and friends. Best money I ever spent, plus the added benefit of being able to do it carefully and not damage the wheels.

Chris
wow ~!!! That sound like a fun DIY ~~ I wish I lived in a house with a garage

!!! thanks !!!

·
Registered
101 Posts
This place sounds really a good deal ~!!! I am going to try to cancel the order

on monday~ If I cant cancel it ~ then I guess I learned my lesson ..

Thank you for the good info !!!!
You're welcome. If you ever need your Duc serviced keep them in mind too. They are the best Ducati techs around.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts