Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi

I have been reading about issues with the 2003 999 and that I should avoid that model on the site however there are no specifics.

Can anyone elaborate on the issues as I think the 2003 model is the one I can afford after doing my sums

·
Registered
170 Posts
I had one for over 5 years and the only thing I had a problem with was the clutch. It needed to be bled often. Some people fixed it with a different cluth slave, but I never bothered. Oh I did have a blow back/by and was fixed under warranty, although I don't think that was a common problem. Great bike.

·
Registered
1,391 Posts
Never had a problem with my 2003 999s 15000 miles in 2 years and was still going strong last time I heard.

·
Super Senior Poster
6,328 Posts
I have a 2003 999 also, bought it used, but minty w/ 6400 miles on it nearly 3 yrs ago. It now has 12500 on it and the only issue was a stalling problem-which is common throughout the Ducati range of model from the HM to the 1198. The engine is a solid as a rock. I took the cam covers off recently to change them over to magnesium and everything looked brand new! The rockers were perfect, etc. Been just changing the oil every 1500 miles-not needed but I like doing it. I recently installed a new clutch pack that's it !!
no probs w/ the clutch slave "yet".!
You should be able to find a great deal on a low mileage used one right now!

·
Registered
16 Posts
My '03 which I bought new is still going strong even after 3 crashouts - although by now its been heavily modified for track use. The only "reliability" problem I ever experienced was that the electronic dashboard had a software issue and I lost the speed/mileage functions. But I think that dash is common to several model years, so not specifically an '03 issue.

·
Registered
136 Posts
get it excellent bike. Just make sure the cheap rear sprocket bolts do not come losse. That hapend to me but lucky i saw it before jaming into my rear break

·
Registered
1,391 Posts
get it excellent bike. Just make sure the cheap rear sprocket bolts do not come losse. That hapend to me but lucky i saw it before jaming into my rear break
? . There on different sides

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks to all. That's what I was hoping to hear. There is a good looking 03 that I have my eye on. I was going to get it inspected and then make an offer.

·
Registered
83 Posts
An 03 can be a great bike. I had one and loved it. There are a few known issues but they are easily correctable by a good dealer. One that comes to mind was a stalling issue that people talk about. Another was intermittent check engine lights. I kept mine for about 11,000 miles and never had the stalling issue. I took the bike in once for the check engine lights... they recalibrated the throttle position sensor and tuned the fuel injection with their mathis tool and I never had the issue again.

If you're looking at one I'd suggest asking about maintenance done to the bike. The 6k and 12k services are pretty important in my opinion. They are expensive to have done if the previous owner elected not to do them. $900-$1200 depending on the dealer. They replace the timing belt, adjust the valves, should retune the fuel injection and give the bike a good overall inspection.

Good luck!

·
Super Senior Poster
6,328 Posts
Thanks to all. That's what I was hoping to hear. There is a good looking 03 that I have my eye on. I was going to get it inspected and then make an offer.
It's ashame you live in Australia...well not really, I would love to live there! I have been thinking of selling my 2003 999 which is loaded and well taken care of. Been wanting a new Black CBR 1000 RR to make a HM Plant replica out of, the same one McGuinness used in this years IOMTT.
It's one beautiful 999!

·
Registered
232 Posts
The 03 999 has been an excellent bike. When we first got it, the idle was set too low and the bike would stall, got the dealer to up the RPM by 300 and has been working great since. The wife put on it 5000kms this summer. Get it, you will enjoy it.

·
Premium Member
8,729 Posts
It's ashame you live in Australia...well not really, I would love to live there! I have been thinking of selling my 2003 999 which is loaded and well taken care of. Been wanting a new Black CBR 1000 RR to make a HM Plant replica out of, the same one McGuinness used in this years IOMTT.
It's one beautiful 999!
WTF? and leave the Ducati culture club? Paint your 999 the HMPlant colors, don't know if HM Plant sponsored the 03 bike ever, I know they did with Toseland and Walker on their 998F02 bikes.

·
Registered
10 Posts
03 Triple 9

I've had my 03 999 for 3 weeks and can't be any happier. Only issue was the check engine light went on and took it back to the dealer and they replaced the speed sensor and it's been good. If everything check out for the bike you're looking at. I go for it!

·
Registered
1,248 Posts
Hi

I have been reading about issues with the 2003 999 and that I should avoid that model on the site however there are no specifics.

Can anyone elaborate on the issues as I think the 2003 model is the one I can afford after doing my sums
No problems that I'm aware of. Just make sure it's not one from the QLD floods auction a couple of months ago - if it is, get it inspected.

·
Registered
2,058 Posts
I love my '03! While I often lust for the additional power of the '05-'06, honestly, the '03 offers me all I need. Mine has been very reliable. I have the stalling issue now, which only appeared after the 6,000 maintenance. Dropped it off, no problems. Picked it up, stalling issue. The stalling issue seems to correct itself with a little more warm-up time.

Me, my 999, and a track day = heaven on earth! :cool:

·
Registered
182 Posts
These are the ones I have heard of/had:

1. Muffler bracket cracks on rear subframe (Alloy Mono bikes). Reweld.
2. EOBD comes on when you pull clutch and freewheel for a while. Disappears when you turn it off and ride it normally again
3. Misfire when water gets in sparkplug/plug lead recesses. Pull out plug leads, clean etc
4. Front brake master cylinders leak....can be rebuilt..usually rubber seal from reservoir.
5. Stalling issue as mentioned earlier.
6. Make sure you get red key and code card
7. Oil cooler leaks...should have been done under warranty.
8. Excessive clutch rattle...plates/basket worn
9. Cam belts changed (should have been done if its a 03) but never heard of 999s breaking like the early ones

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
2,058 Posts
1. Muffler bracket cracks on rear subframe (Alloy Mono bikes). Reweld.
Yeah, just had this happen to me two weeks ago. A buddy of mine, also with an '03 999, had his crack last year.

·
Registered
18 Posts
But it! Great bike.

I have a 2003 999 w. Termis and it fixed any problems that I've herard about which is a fuel misture issue. My ECU was tweaked when the Termis went on and it F#@*ing screams! One of them most fun bikes I've ever ridden in my 40 years of riding bikes!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts