Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Super Senior Poster
6,328 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I noticed when changing out plugs on both the horz. and vert. cyls. that 2 of the 3 wire's coatings that make up the lead(that enters the rear) plastic snap connector for the coil stick are cracked. The 03's leads are wrapped with a cloth type electrical tape, then the 3 wires (which make up the lead) are exposed as they enter the snap connector. The plastic coating on the wires are cracked, the wire appears to be fine. I would imagine due to heat/cold cycles and whoever designed the lead put a excessive bend on wires as they twisted the bundle together...this didn't help either. I removed the cloth tape wrap which allowed me to spread the wires and wrap the cracked coating with standard electrical tape. Then I re-wrapped the bundle with OEM cloth tape..
I'm thinking about plugging in my 2005 redesigned coil sticks into the existing 03' leads. The 05' lead is sealed on the stick and the connector is attached at the end of the 8" or so lead. So at least it would get the connector off the cam cover into a cooler area. Any possible issues with this.....I did the horz. cylinder so far no issue's
I'm wondering if these cracks in the coating could cause hard starting, rough idle or misfire....

·
Registered
2,442 Posts
The dealership had replaced my 03 coil sticks with the newer style while my bike was still under warranty.never had an issue with either style but supposedly the old ones had shown a code in the ecu.imo coil issues will likely show up with a dead cyl rather than a rough idle

·
Super Senior Poster
6,328 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The dealership had replaced my 03 coil sticks with the newer style while my bike was still under warranty.never had an issue with either style but supposedly the old ones had shown a code in the ecu.imo coil issues will likely show up with a dead cyl rather than a rough idle
I ended up throwing a bit of electrical tape on the cracked wire insulator/covers. I was surprised how many were actually split....not sure if it would have any effect on anything. On the horz. cyl. I ran the upgraded 2005 coil stick lead into the back of the battery box and plugged into my existing connector there. Zipped tied it off. With the vert.cyl. I just plugged the new coil lead into the existing one, zip tied the excess lead together-done.
I've dealing with an intermittent EFI error code 34.0. I have a new crank sensor ready to be installed, but after I got done switching coil sticks the code is now gone. I see why they designed the original coil sticks the way they did...but with this design the horz.cyl. coil stick was asking for trouble. It's a good update mod and can be done rather cheaply with used 2005 + coil sticks..
***I spoke to TAKAI performance regarding their high out put sticks. But were cost prohibitive at $575 a set. They are advertised to add another 2-3 HP to the I4 line up. They are just getting into Ducati twin stuff now.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts