Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey there guys/gals. Y'all have been really helpful in the past so I figured I'd give this a shot!
I've had my monster since the beginning of the season, and I love the thing. But there's one thing I'm certain about, the suspension is too soft. I'm about six and a half feet tall, 210 pounds, and the front forks are sprung for a guy that's 2/3 of my weight. Seems simple enough right? well I keep looking up the springs to see if ohlins/progressive/other manf. make springs for it, and I see listings for 04, 05 etc. but I don't see anything for the 03! Assuming I'm just incompetent, I went to a mechanic I trust (great guy, honest, and super knowledgeable)
and what do you know? He couldn't find springs listed for the 03 either.... He's currently looking into it for me, but in the meantime I figured I'd make a post on here and ask the experts if they have any info that could help him along.

·
Registered
3,977 Posts
spring fitment will be all the same for the 43mm forks. the early ones are marzocchi and tend to have a lot of low speed damping - getting all the oil out of the cartridges at an oil change even is a real hassle. drilling a 1mm hole at each end of the stroke can make them a much nicer fork too, and makes getting the oil out easy.

later ones are an offshoot of or licence to marzocchi i think, and they have rebound only in one leg and comp only in the other.

same springs will go into both. or you can cut your originals down. depending on the rate i need i use oem st2/3/4 series springs (0.83kg/mm) from ducati or eibach 787 series or ohlins 4745.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
spring fitment will be all the same for the 43mm forks. the early ones are marzocchi and tend to have a lot of low speed damping - getting all the oil out of the cartridges at an oil change even is a real hassle. drilling a 1mm hole at each end of the stroke can make them a much nicer fork too, and makes getting the oil out easy.

later ones are an offshoot of or licence to marzocchi i think, and they have rebound only in one leg and comp only in the other.

same springs will go into both. or you can cut your originals down. depending on the rate i need i use oem st2/3/4 series springs (0.83kg/mm) from ducati or eibach 787 series or ohlins 4745.
Wow, thanks! that's exactly what I needed to know. Are there any write ups for drilling those holes?

·
Registered
60 Posts
I'm about to rework the 43mm Marzocchi on my '02 900 Sport. Can you tell us more what you mean by "drilling a 1mm hole at each end of the stroke"? Do you mean the top and bottom of the upper cartridge assembly? Any clue is helpful.

·
Registered
3,977 Posts
you need to drill so that the holes are outside the piston travel range, which is a bit hard to estimate. at the bottom you need to be above the compression stack assembly. there's some pics of a cut open one on my blog that may help - see the link in the ss page thread.

make them 1mm, which isn't a lot, and you need to be fairly careful as they're not very strong and break very easily as you go through.

you could try finding a damaged one on ebay or at a parts place and buy it and cut the cartridge open so then you'll know.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts