Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
have a couple questions on a 749.......

1. did it come with a streering damper?

2. is this a good year? (stalling probs?)

3. a guy is selling it for $10500 w/ 1200mi 1st owner great condition with termi half system chip ecu......is this a good price

4. if you were buyin it how much would you give the seller as a fair price.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
forgot to mention this is on a 2003 base 749 clean title good condition.

·
Registered
117 Posts
manso72 said:
have a couple questions on a 749.......

3. a guy is selling it for $10500 w/ 1200mi 1st owner great condition with termi half system chip ecu......is this a good price

I purchased an 04 749 in 12/04 for $9800.00. The bike had 3200 miles and is mint. I'm not sure about the damper

·
Registered
2,442 Posts
has a damper,mines never stalled .its also the same as the newer just ducati changed the hp figures in 04.as an 03 the belts should be replaced if they haven't yet,might want to bargain then

·
=^o.o^=
380 Posts
yes

I've never had any stalling problems with mine, but just a few weeks ago it started making an extremely high pitched squealing noise

Then again, I have 18K miles on mine and I think it's about time I changed the belts

it's got so few miles on it, I think that it's a pretty good price.. originally it was $16k... termis are about $2k (although I got a full system off ebay for the same price).. so yeah.. I think it's a good price

hmmmm... not sure... probably about that much... maybe a little less so I could haggle..

G

·
:abduct: Mine stalls time to time...i was told by ams it just needs a coil upgrade covered under warranty...that price is shitty i have an 03 w/only 600 miles and i was considering selling it for that same price...i changed my mind :D

i needed money for racing but i cant get rid of her haha

yes as stated has the damper...your not sitting on the best deal out there sorry bloke

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
thanks for the replies... will take a look at it tomorrow and see if i can get a better price when i "show him the moneyyy!" hehehe

·
Registered
117 Posts
RagazzaDGatta said:
yes

I've never had any stalling problems with mine, but just a few weeks ago it started making an extremely high pitched squealing noise

Then again, I have 18K miles on mine and I think it's about time I changed the belts

it's got so few miles on it, I think that it's a pretty good price.. originally it was $16k... termis are about $2k (although I got a full system off ebay for the same price).. so yeah.. I think it's a good price

hmmmm... not sure... probably about that much... maybe a little less so I could haggle..

I hope you changed them at 12K!

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
well i saw the bike today and heres the pics i have a couple questions tho

i believe every thing checks out ok however i noticed that theres a rubbermounted device on the rear of the swingarm near the brakes (we believe it to be the speedo? or for countain the miles that appears to have been gnawed off like a dog did it "hahahaah" coz it doesnt look like road rash damage question i have is could this be the mileage counter that might have been disconnected to minimize the miles on the bike? if someone could clarify what that part is id' really appeciate it its this one circled also i noticed that the clutch springs are a little rusty does that need replacement right aways or does that go away once its used? kinda like how brakes are...........

Attachments

·
Registered
1,443 Posts
That is the speed pickup. It counts the wheel revolutions and converts it to a speed reading on the console and the odometer(OD) count. If it's damaged the OD on the bike may not be accurate.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Pretty bike. I really do like the 749/999 style. Especially in yellow :)

I may be wrong but a monoposto 749 is very rare in the US. I believe all 749's were biposto and 749S's were monoposto and the tail sections had a white number plate.

The bike you are looking at has 749 body work but the frame, due to the adjustable footpegs, is a 749S. The tail section does not have the white number plate which means it came from a 999. Also a 749S had the ti-nite forks, these are not.

You may want to run the vin at a ducati dealer to see what the frame is. Something is not right about the bike.

Jim

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
If he bought that bike at full retail, then there's at least $17k invested in that bike...

If the bike was bought with the MSRP as "out the door" for California, and adding the Termi half system, then it rounds-out to about $16k.

So let's use that as a starting point, $16k and assume:
  • that there is NO OTHER ALTERNATIVE bike for sale in the area
  • that this is the actual model/color bike you want
And then list down the facts:
  • Bike is 2 years old at least
  • now off warranty
  • low miles
  • the Termi is a very desirable and expensive upgrade
  • good overall condition (I'm assuming you did some due diligence here)
  • damaged speedo sensor, may need repair/replace
  • We are also in California, which carries slightly higher prices in the used market.
  • His asking price is $10,200.... that's 36% off our starting point.
I would also want to know what his explanation is for the damaged speedo sensor ... so I will just assume he pointed this out to you when you came, and that he had a decent explanation for it.

I would suggest calling the dealer to see how much it would cost to replace that part, or some other place, maybe eBay to see if you can get that part cheaper. We will again assume that the fix for this is no more than $200 (that is, if you even need to replace it).

Here's my take:

$10K would be pretty good price for what you are getting (assuming all else checks out, including the speedo sensor).

If you are so inclined, you might want to get it at as close to about 40% off the original amount invested, as the price depreciation will begin to plateau from there. That amount is $9600 .... So there is a $600 spread between this price and the buyer right now... this is the part where your negotiation skills come in, and how badly the seller needs to get rid of it. Needless to say, your best friends there are patience and showing the money. So, good luck.

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
jimmm18 said:
Pretty bike. I really do like the 749/999 style. Especially in yellow :)

I may be wrong but a monoposto 749 is very rare in the US. I believe all 749's were biposto and 749S's were monoposto and the tail sections had a white number plate.

The bike you are looking at has 749 body work but the frame, due to the adjustable footpegs, is a 749S. The tail section does not have the white number plate which means it came from a 999. Also a 749S had the ti-nite forks, these are not.

You may want to run the vin at a ducati dealer to see what the frame is. Something is not right about the bike.

Jim
You have a good eye... but:

• The '03 749 did come in yellow monoposto. Click here to see the pics.
  • There was no number plate on the 749 mono ... it was only 749S (as you correctly stated)
  • His picture that has the adjustable footpegs is not the picture of the actual bike... it looks like he just used it to represent which part it was that he was concerned about
Although I'm not here to guarantee this is a 'legit' bike, that is his call... but from this viewpoint, I have no reason to see anything fishy about it.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
well from what i saw it had a rusty chain and clutch springs that would prolly need replacement asap...... although these are normal wear items could this be a bargaining chip? ... im calling the dealer where he got it from tomorrow to get the story on the bike plus the service done on it ..coz theyre closed today. he's now pretty firm at $9800. it hasnt been driven much the cobwebs are still on the wheels and parts of the bike hahahaha but he's got a battery tender on it although this has low miles but since its sitting for a while....does it need a valve check ... even when the 600 mile was done like 2 years ago?

·
Registered
11 Posts
migz123 said:
You have a good eye... but:

• The '03 749 did come in yellow monoposto. Click here to see the pics.
  • There was no number plate on the 749 mono ... it was only 749S (as you correctly stated)
  • His picture that has the adjustable footpegs is not the picture of the actual bike... it looks like he just used it to represent which part it was that he was concerned about
Although I'm not here to guarantee this is a 'legit' bike, that is his call... but from this viewpoint, I have no reason to see anything fishy about it.
You, too, have a good eye. I missed the other pic with the correct footpeg location.

However, although monoposto 749's were available in the rest of the world, they were not officially brought into the US. And biposto 749S's were made but only the monoposto's were suppose to come here. That is not to say they didn't come in. I know we had a biposto 749S at the shop I worked at, which we all knew was rare.

Also, It is true about CA bikes, everything here is a bit more expensive. It just cost more to live here.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
to clear up the confusion the 1st pic with the circled part is just taken off the net to show the part in question.all the other pictures are of the actual bike im lookimg to purchase. so now to more important questions.....

1. if the chain is rusty will a little chain lube work or should i just toss it..... obviously cost is a factor here however i also dont wana compromise my safety.

2. does the sproket need to be changed as well? or just the chain.... just because its such a low mile bike.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.