Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looks like the one of the coil drivers is out on the marelli IAW 5.9M ecu. What are the options for replacing it? Would rather stay away from a used one but don't want to spent $1000 for a Motec or Microtec. Any suggestions from someone who's been through this?? Thanks

·
Premium Member
5,156 Posts
I would put a used ecu in and not worry about it, this is not something that happens often. How do you know it is the ecu coil driver on one coil?

·
Registered
165 Posts
I got a reflashed ecu from metroduc(ducatidepot i think) when my ECU crapped out and I lost a cylinder. I think it was the DP equivalent flash. Regardless, it is awesome and am totally happy with it!

I am not sure if it actually raised the RPM or my old ECU was crapping out and not allowing me to get to redline. It was acting pretty cranky before she crapped out.

I do not recall the price, but remember being pleasantly surprised at the affordability of it. Keep in mind this was several years ago...

Good luck!

-y

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
ducvet-Very weak spark on both rear cylinder plugs. Swapped coils, no change, front cylinder has good spark. New plugs, new plug wires. I'm assuming there is one driver for each cylinder not for each coil. Bike has the Marelli IAW 5.9M ECU. I would like to know if any used IAW 5.9M ECU will work with a reflash? Many models used this controller. Seems to be a relatively common problem.

·
Premium Member
5,156 Posts
You could check voltage going to the coils and compare them but the ecu probably has little to do with the strength of the spark more to do with the timing. If both coil inputs are the same in voltage and duration I would check elsewhere. First to clarify are you getting intermittent spark or a weak spark?

If it is simply not sparking or intermittently sparking then yes it sounds like a ecu. weak spark is not something I have seen an ecu do.

·
Premium Member
5,156 Posts
If the 59 ecu is the same hardware you should be able to flash it, I have done this myself with success. The risk is a used ecu may be bad or your bike may be causing it to go bad so tread lightly.
If you get to the point where you know it is the ecu I would get a replacement used ecu and flash it. If you are having this done also do two more things have any immobilizer removed and put in a ducati performance map.

You might as well get some benefits for your money in case it was not the problem.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts