Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Before I get told off ,I apologise if I am in wrong department.
I propose to do a cambelt /service to my 2002 ST4S .
The questions are , will I need any special tools and would ANYONE recomend doing the job myself .
I see that a guitar tuner is used ,is this essential ,can`t the belts be tensioned a other way .
I just thought I would ask .
Thank you .
Scrambler800

·
Registered
741 Posts
Yes you are on the wrong forum.

Should you do the job? Don't know because I don't know you. Some people shouldn't be changing the light bulb on a desk lamp...

If your bike has the 2 valve motor then it is similar to what is in our Sport Classics and no you won't need much in the way of "special" tools other than an engine turning tool and you can use the back wheel to do that...but it's easier to have the proper tool and it isn't expensive. And yes you should have a way to tune the belts to approximately 100 Hz. There are many tuner apps available on line and for free to do that job. The N-Track or Gates Carbon Drive apps work for me. Some will say the Allen key method works fine but especially on the DS motor it doesn't work fine so get a tuner and do the job correctly. Pretty much like all maintenance on a bike it's not a Rocket Science job you just need to pay attention and do the work properly because sloppy work could result in your piston getting intimate with the valves which will be costly. There are some great YouTube videos to help you do it right. Watch them. Several times. And buy L.T. Snyder's maintenance book and read it. Well worth the cost if you are going to wrench your bike. If you have a 4 valve engine then I think (caveat---I've never worked on a 4 valve) you would want the tool that locks the cams sprockets together in sync. Also an inexpensive tool. And you should be seeking knowledge from those more familiar with that engine architecture than I am...maybe on the ST section of the forum.

Good luck.

Terry

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes you are on the wrong forum.

Should you do the job? Don't know because I don't know you. Some people shouldn't be changing the light bulb on a desk lamp...

If your bike has the 2 valve motor then it is similar to what is in our Sport Classics and no you won't need much in the way of "special" tools other than an engine turning tool and you can use the back wheel to do that...but it's easier to have the proper tool and it isn't expensive. And yes you should have a way to tune the belts to approximately 100 Hz. There are many tuner apps available on line and for free to do that job. The N-Track or Gates Carbon Drive apps work for me. Some will say the Allen key method works fine but especially on the DS motor it doesn't work fine so get a tuner and do the job correctly. Pretty much like all maintenance on a bike it's not a Rocket Science job you just need to pay attention and do the work properly because sloppy work could result in your piston getting intimate with the valves which will be costly. There are some great YouTube videos to help you do it right. Watch them. Several times. And buy L.T. Snyder's maintenance book and read it. Well worth the cost if you are going to wrench your bike. If you have a 4 valve engine then I think (caveat---I've never worked on a 4 valve) you would want the tool that locks the cams sprockets together in sync. Also an inexpensive tool. And you should be seeking knowledge from those more familiar with that engine architecture than I am...maybe on the ST section of the forum.

Good luck.

Terry
THANK YOU terry .

1 - 4 of 4 Posts