Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Looking for your advice in selling my ST4S.

I purchased new. All stock except replacement tires and Corbin seat.

I know the 1200 miles on the odometer will generate lots of comments, but obviously I did not ride the bike enough.

2 questions. I am going to place in this forums' classifieds and local (San Diego) Craigslist. Anywhere else you recommend?

Second, any thoughts re pricing? I searched previous threads and most good examples seem to list for 5-6K but this is a fairly unique bike.

Thanks

·
Registered
102 Posts
Replace the timing belts...now unless they have been recently done. That's potentially some old rubber.

·
Administrator
12,912 Posts
Unless the bike had less than 10 miles on it I doubt anyone is going to be interested in paying additional dollars for a "low miles ST4s" but you can always try and see what you get. When it comes to old bikes it just doesn't seem to matter.

·
Registered
783 Posts
I feel the ST's hold a small, niche market and convincing anyone outside of that market to buy a 16 year old bike, regardless of condition can be tricky.

Current maintenance with records will go a long way. How old is the replacement rubber? Belts/valves/fluids done recently?

KBB shows dealer price in excellent condition at $4600. NADA average is $3100.

I see them in my area (CO) usually between $4-6k. There's an '01 ST4 with low miles and lots of nice upgrades (DD headlight!) for $4999. It's been sitting on CL for 2+ months. A nice '05 ST4s at $5200 has been sitting on CL for 1 month.

Either way, good luck with the sale!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for feedback. Agree with comments.

Belts replaced and valves adjusted 11/17. Tires are 4 years old.

·
Registered
'02 ST4S
1,630 Posts
If you are looking for a premium price for your ST4S be prepared to answer some detailed questions. Such as:
- full service records (even with the low miles)
- how was it stored (climate controlled, engine fogged,...)
- ever have mice in air box
- checked for flaking rockers...
These questions ,and other info , will drive the price.
It's been said on this forum many times, "... I'd rather buy a higher mile used Ducati with complete service records/history, than a low mile one with no history...'
If it was on the east coast I would have a look at it myself, the low miles for this bike are very intriguing.
Good luck with the sale !

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Was not able to post in classifieds, maybe due to me not having enough posts.
I really appreciate all the thoughtful feedback. Will try to answer questions people ask.
Re price, did not say I expected a premium price. Just asked those on the forum with much better perspective what they thought would be a fair price.
Re maintenance records, unfortunately have not kept for 16 years...not my style although I appreciate that will impact salability/price. Do have receipts for last major service. Bike always stored indoors. Since live in San Diego, my garage is the same as my house, somewhere between 65-75 degrees. No mice in air box. Will have to ask Ducati re rockers. They recently replaced belts, fluids, filters, fuel lines,etc but not sure if checked rockers.
Re the low miles, I wish I had a simple answer. Ordered bike and was shipped off to Japan before bike delivered. Probably should have cancelled delivery but wanted the bike. Lucky enough to have multiple other options in garage and the ST4S just did not get used much.
Thanks again for sharing your thoughts

·
Premium Member
1,253 Posts
Back in 2015 I was looking for an ST4S and the nearest ones for sale were both in CA, northern and southern. I contacted both dealers in hopes of arranging to have a representative visit to inspect the bike. The salesman at the NorCal dealer was somewhat aloof when I asked about the bike and explained my extensive history of buying bikes from out of state sellers and shipping the bike to me. He acknowledged that his dealership was the original selling entity and that the bike had always been serviced there. Fine, I said, please email me the service records. I never heard from him again.

The SoCal dealer wouldn't return my calls.

Doing some more due diligence which included lots of reading threads HERE, I turned my attention to a low mileage ST3 in Fort Worth. I contacted that dealer and arranged for a nearby BMW buddy to inspect the bike. When he arrived the dealer had it staged outside and ready for an inspection ride. I was shocked. Anyway, that bike is now in my garage. It did have some records but not all. Along with its overall condition I went with my gut and feedback from my buddy.

I just did the same thing in acquiring a low mileage 1000DS Supersport but that's another story.

A previous post mentioned that your bike is a niche model that appeals to a small, select group. I was and still am a "niche buyer" and there are many of us out there. Who knows, maybe that person is a member of this forum! Anyway, I wish you well with your efforts to sell the bike. Now, get your post count up and list that baby HERE!

·
Registered
7,104 Posts
There are people who would consider low miles an asset on even a 16 year old bike, I’m one of them. Would I pay a big premium for it ? No, not on a Ducati touring bike, because Ducati dealers don’t support their old models and traveling on it expecting service along the way would be a crap shoot. Also, some rubber components will undoubtedly fail after drying out for that long and it’s just not practical to replace it all for the sake of reliability. Bottom line, if I were in the market I’d be interested, but not willing to pay a big premium for the low miles. Ask more than it’s book value, get what you can.

Reactions: piercems3

·
Registered
'02 ST4S
1,630 Posts
If you scroll back in the classified section you can probably come up with a fair price. I was looking in January and just missed a sale on a "02 ST4S with 6,000 (+-) miles on it with a few thousand $ worth of the right upgrades/ modifications on it. The last asking price was $5,200 , not sure what it sold for. It was tastefully set up and well worth that price, but that's coming from an ST lover.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I saw the 02 you were referring to. Agree it was a good comp, although it had many upgrades compared to my stock bike. Re the miles, I think many will shy away from but hopefully someone is looking for one thats in great shape. Will see.
As before thanks to all for taking the time to help.

·
Registered
2,275 Posts
Post your ads and try to be patient. Since last August I sold my 07 Tuono, 03 Tuono, and 98 VFR. None went quick or for as much money as I hoped. But all found new homes in due course.

·
Registered
456 Posts
Overall I’m finding used bikes values down. People are not willing to pay as much as sellers expect, myself incl. ‘77 Kawi Z650, ‘12 Monster 1100 evo, ‘07 Tuono V4, ‘10 Multistrada S GT w/all the go fast and go far parts... each sold for less than I would have hoped and took awhile to find new homes. Buyers market out there, not a sellers.

2002 Yamaha FZ1
1998 Ducati ST2 apocalypse edition

·
Registered
80 Posts
I bought an ST4 a few weeks ago with 3800 miles on it. I paid $4,700. It has temi pipes and a corbin seat and some carbon bodywork. I'm thinking that the "s" should add some value for your next owner. That should be ok to sell for $5,500 in my opinion. But you've got to sell it to an old guy like me that knows what they're getting. It's a high performance Italian sport touring bike! It needs to be properly maintained and cared for and it'll last a long long time.
Is it Red? That'll help.
Good Luck. Sorry you're not riding her!

·
Registered
131 Posts
There's a big difference between a ST4 (916) and an ST4S (996 w/ Ohlins) and those in the know will seek them out. Good Luck!

(Just don't mention the 6k maintenance interval :wink2:)

·
Registered
456 Posts
2007 Tuono was a V twin. I had one.

V4 started in 2012 iirc. Did you mean '17 Tuono?

I am not the grammar police. 0:)

Indeed, I meant ‘12. That’s not grammar police. That the difference between a great engine and one of the most awesome engines in motorcycle history! Aprilia’s V4 is to die for. ❤

2002 Yamaha FZ1
1998 Ducati ST2 apocalypse edition

1 - 20 of 25 Posts