·
Administrator
11,959 Posts
I would be more interested in the 914 :D

·
Registered
520 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
LOLZ.. That car is teasing you, eh. Its my Bro's. If you like, I'll ask if he would like to sell it!

·
Registered
55 Posts
Man if this was three weeks ago I would be on my way to your place in a heartbeat. I was in Vacaville for work and I would have driven my personal vehicle and rented a trailer to pick it up.

·
Registered
520 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Man if this was three weeks ago I would be on my way to your place in a heartbeat. I was in Vacaville for work and I would have driven my personal vehicle and rented a trailer to pick it up.
Where are you located, and when are you back in the Bay Area? I'm flexible on time, within about two months' timeframe. And also may be running a trailer from here down to Phoenix- route choices subject to Winter weather. Could deliver the bike somewhere along that path. It's in a Bud's garage and the space will be needed for a project.

Somebody save this bike from the breaker!

·
Administrator
11,959 Posts
LOLZ.. That car is teasing you, eh. Its my Bro's. If you like, I'll ask if he would like to sell it!
I wouldn't be opposed to having you inquire and hearing a little about it... :whistle:

·
Registered
55 Posts
Where are you located, and when are you back in the Bay Area? I'm flexible on time, within about two months' timeframe. And also may be running a trailer from here down to Phoenix- route choices subject to Winter weather. Could deliver the bike somewhere along that path. It's in a Bud's garage and the space will be needed for a project.

Somebody save this bike from the breaker!
View attachment 977455
Dang this new forum layout is taking time to get used to. I didn't notice the alert that you had replied and no email notification like before. Anyway I am up in Salem Oregon and I am not sure about another trip down for work. I am working on the missus though telling her about the ST line and why the ST4s is desirable over the others ha-ha. She does like the price and the color scheme so I will keep an eye out for your posting and just maybe I can wear her down enough to just head down and pick it up.

·
Registered
520 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
OK, any interested parties, please PM me for title pic and phone number for any detailed Q&A on the bike. The Craigslist ad goes into great detail. Mileage is actual, documented via title transfer documents. I've owned this bike since 2004, one Iowa owner before that, who seems to have dropped it then sold it to an Oregonaian who never titled it, but sold it to me. Two titled owners to-date, including me. I used to ride it to the yearly Laguna MotoGP fest, but mostly rode my 999 and Mito on local canyons and commuting to SF back then. Then left it at Bro's garage for 3.5 years while I lived in Thailand. He started or rode her infrequently. In mid 2013 I returned stateside, cleaned her up and rode her for a few years til she started to become grumpy.. and my 1198 came along. The ST got parked at that point, with little spare time to find the source of her grumpiness. I'm done, no spare time to breathe much less fettle her bits. somebody come get this bike. Will contribute $200 toward shipping costs at list price.

·
Administrator
11,959 Posts

·
Registered
520 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Deal fell through. Great opportunity to swoop in and snag a great winter project Ducati. Bike is located in San Leandro, CA.

The Ducati ST4s was sold in small numbers, and are very competent Sport-Tourers. An ST4s may still hold the Alaska to Florida speed/time record! With Ohlins rear shock and 996 engine & frame geometry, the ST4s is a 996 Desmoquattro Superbike with really effective sport touring fairing and quickly detachable hard bags so you can commute, carve canyons or comfortably go cross country.

About this one:
Straight, solid mechanically and very low miles at 7788mi. Miles are accurate - I've owned it since 2004, but rode other bikes for commutes and the canyons, so this is a genuine super low mile example. Am in and out of town lots, so she sat for a year, and now needs some sorting to get her running. Had a rough engine running when I parked it, so I just rode the other bikes because I was too busy to sort it.

At the time, the following were checked:
usual relays all good, side stand switch good, compression was good, fuel pressure in line upstream of injectors was over 140 psi, the fuel pump & strainer were cleaned, new fuel filter, fuel lines drained & cleaned, injectors pulled and test-sprayed, entire wiring loom replaced. Would start with starting fluid, but not keep running. Next up on my list is to check the wiring connectors, fuel pressure valve, kill switch, TPS, ignition switch, and lastly ECU. There just aren't that many variables left, but I am too busy and out of town lots on weekends when I have a chance at any spare time. Would like to see it go to an enthusiast who has the time to sort it and ride this great Ducati!

Cool Senna color scheme issued only in '02: Titanium Metallic matte-finish with red Marchesini 5-Spoke wheels. May want to do a re-spray if you need it to look as-new, rattle-can spray it, or just ride it as is! Fairings are without rash but at least one panel was re-sprayed. Previous owner looks to have dropped it, since forks are not the original items, aren't Ti-coated sliders. This said, I've ridden it as-is since 2004. Title is clean & clear, reg on PNO.

Already done:
Valves adjusted at 6k, three years ago.
Cam belts changed at 6k, but its been a few years. Belts are ±$120 on eBay and easy to change with a Youtube video.

Already completed:
Compression checked last year, both cylinders were good at around 150 psi.
Clutch & brakes good, but should be bled and filled.
Fuel tank, fuel pump & intake screen removed & cleaned. Gas is stale now tho.
Fuel lines in-tank and from tank to engine all checked & cleaned out. Flush them again at this point.
Fuel filter replaced. Replace again or flush it through? I'd replace it.
Needs battery.
Chain & sprockets good.
Good tread on tires, but a few years old.

Come with trailer and get a great, low miles, super-versatile Ducati sport touring bike for a bit of sorting for a great price! Priced for a quick sale to clear needed garage space for a construction project. A few major parts alone are worth more than the asking price.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Deal fell through. Great opportunity to swoop in and snag a great winter project Ducati. Bike is located in San Leandro, CA.

The Ducati ST4s was sold in small numbers, and are very competent Sport-Tourers. An ST4s may still hold the Alaska to Florida speed/time record! With Ohlins rear shock and 996 engine & frame geometry, the ST4s is a 996 Desmoquattro Superbike with really effective sport touring fairing and quickly detachable hard bags so you can commute, carve canyons or comfortably go cross country.

About this one:
Straight, solid mechanically and very low miles at 7788mi. Miles are accurate - I've owned it since 2004, but rode other bikes for commutes and the canyons, so this is a genuine super low mile example. Am in and out of town lots, so she sat for a year, and now needs some sorting to get her running. Had a rough engine running when I parked it, so I just rode the other bikes because I was too busy to sort it.

At the time, the following were checked:
usual relays all good, side stand switch good, compression was good, fuel pressure in line upstream of injectors was over 140 psi, the fuel pump & strainer were cleaned, new fuel filter, fuel lines drained & cleaned, injectors pulled and test-sprayed, entire wiring loom replaced. Would start with starting fluid, but not keep running. Next up on my list is to check the wiring connectors, fuel pressure valve, kill switch, TPS, ignition switch, and lastly ECU. There just aren't that many variables left, but I am too busy and out of town lots on weekends when I have a chance at any spare time. Would like to see it go to an enthusiast who has the time to sort it and ride this great Ducati!

Cool Senna color scheme issued only in '02: Titanium Metallic matte-finish with red Marchesini 5-Spoke wheels. May want to do a re-spray if you need it to look as-new, rattle-can spray it, or just ride it as is! Fairings are without rash but at least one panel was re-sprayed. Previous owner looks to have dropped it, since forks are not the original items, aren't Ti-coated sliders. This said, I've ridden it as-is since 2004. Title is clean & clear, reg on PNO.

Already done:
Valves adjusted at 6k, three years ago.
Cam belts changed at 6k, but its been a few years. Belts are ±$120 on eBay and easy to change with a Youtube video.

Already completed:
Compression checked last year, both cylinders were good at around 150 psi.
Clutch & brakes good, but should be bled and filled.
Fuel tank, fuel pump & intake screen removed & cleaned. Gas is stale now tho.
Fuel lines in-tank and from tank to engine all checked & cleaned out. Flush them again at this point.
Fuel filter replaced. Replace again or flush it through? I'd replace it.
Needs battery.
Chain & sprockets good.
Good tread on tires, but a few years old.

Come with trailer and get a great, low miles, super-versatile Ducati sport touring bike for a bit of sorting for a great price! Priced for a quick sale to clear needed garage space for a construction project. A few major parts alone are worth more than the asking price.
Thanks for posting again. Very familiar with the st4s....thus my interest.

Full disclosure I a on the east coast. Heard of your location. I am going to be in San Francisco for a few days starting Saturday. Was trying to figure if I had a way and time to see it.

Did you ever have the dealer look at it and suggest course of action?

·
Registered
520 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I didn't tow it to the dealer or my trusted shop in SF. Logic, for better or worse, was that based on the above investigations, the problem had to be fueling or electrical - and figured I'd find that faulty switch, relay, connection.. on my next attempt.. Never did find that gremlin, and I'm in and out of SF a lot but based in AZ for three years now since it was parked. Got too busy with work to futz with it. The bike is in my bud's carport, under cover.

·
Registered
520 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Bike is 5 minute Uber from San Leandro BART Station, 15 min Uber from OAK airport, and can be shown most mornings, with reasonable notice. PM me for contact info.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts