Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
1,210 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, does anyone know what size these oil seals are without going through Ducati? Just wondering if there is an alternative?

John

·
Mr Leakered
8,816 Posts
Are you talking about the tiny o-rings? If so, they are somewhat special. I believe you will only get them from Duc if you order the complete line assembly.

Here's my trail to find some:
http://www.ducati.ms/forums/40-sport-touring/129429-oil-cooler-o-rings.html

I did add these to the equivalent parts sticky as they are not leaking as the jerry-rigged ones did in the past, squeezing the smallest AS568A ones that I could find in there.

I believe that over the years different oil cooler connections were used. So, the above may just be a jumble of hoopla. ;)

Have a good one.

·
Registered
965 Posts
I haven’t taken the time to check to see if there is a source manufactures name on the oil coolers fittings other than Ducati. If there is a name, there could also be a part identifier for the fitting and by tracing that back one may be able to find a source of the O-rings.

·
Registered
1,210 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I meant to add its the ones that connect the pipes to the engine! I noticed 2 were torn up

John

·
Mr Leakered
8,816 Posts
Yep. Those are the ones. I haven't needed to loosen the ones at the cooler. Mine were the typical green color, were torn from the factory, and were weeping oil.

At MarkST's suggestion, I disconnect them to flush the used oil out of the cooler for maximum benefit. As they were already leaking, it needed done anyway. I was surprised to see that they were so small (0.036in thick versus typical 1/8in thick material). I tried standard o-rings as a stop gap, but they always leaked, tore, or caused the fitting to back off.

Getting some of the proper ones made it a pleasure to not worry about the line coming off as it did when rolling up our cul de sac, luckily. They don't call me Mr Leakered for nuthin'.

Have a good one.

·
Registered
1,210 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Must admit not seen any seals that thin!

I guess a call to Ducati it is then

John

·
Registered
3,806 Posts
They need to be made of Viton or Buna N John.
There's plenty of O ring suppliers around, if you can find the right size.

·
Mr Leakered
8,816 Posts
Must admit not seen any seals that thin!

I guess a call to Ducati it is then

John
I really doubt that Duc is going to be of much help. Just a good guess.

Also, you want to verify the oil cooler parts cross-ref between my 2001 and your ST before you commit to buying any of the ones I note. Looking between a 2001 ST4 and 2003 ST4s PL that I have, the nipple and lines are the same part numbers.

They need to be made of Viton John.
There's plenty of O ring suppliers around, if you can find the right size.
The size is given in the linked post (Parker Spec 5-204 or 2-30015801 in Viton). I couldn't find the Viton type for less than astronomical prices.

Also, I have yet to stop back in at the local o-ring supplier to see if they have that spec available.

Have a good one.

·
Registered
1,210 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I did a search for both of them numbers and I can't find them anywhere? So are we supposed to just order new hoses from Ducati? That's just crazy!!

I might try and measure the hole in the connector on the engine and then the groove in the pipe where the seal sits and see if I can come up with an alternative.

John

·
Mr Leakered
8,816 Posts
That is not good.

In the linked thread is the Parker Spec:
http://www.darcoid.com/images/uploads/pdfs/5-XXX%20sizes.pdf

You will see the 5-204 is 0.312in ID and 0.036in wide. I was thinking that the 5-209 and 5-712 sizes might also work?

I do have 8 left for myself as I bought twelve. If you only need a couple, I could send them to you. Let me know. Of course, these are not Viton o-rings as far as I know and I'm on my first oil change with them. I'm curious to see how they hold up if I unplug the lines.

Have a good one.

·
Registered
3,806 Posts
these are not Viton o-rings as far as I know and I'm on my first oil change with them. I'm curious to see how they hold up if I unplug the lines.
So am I. They've probably blown up like balloons.
I guess that doesn't matter though as long as they do the job between oil changes.
If that's the case, I think a trip to Maplins may be the order of the day John -

http://www.maplin.co.uk/225-piece-o-ring-assortment-476560

Your nearest store is in Llandudno but you can buy online with free postage if you spend a tenner or more.
For £2.99 it's probably worth a shot.

·
Mr Leakered
8,816 Posts
I suspect that you are right, but it is hard to say. Also, all I know is that the ones I bought are not viton, but they could be some other oil compatible material. $20 for 12, I am kind of hoping so. ;)

I would bet that assortment is 1/8in min width. You can stretch a #4 (I think) over the hose fitting. Being ultra gentle, it will seat and seal, but tear. I used that method for two oil change intervals until I met the boat racing guy. I did check them frequently for leaks and such.

Have a good one.

·
Registered
3,806 Posts
They don't have to be made from Viton I guess. Even if they swell up when coming into contact with oil they should still do the job ok between oil changes.
The advantage of Viton (or similar) is that they wouldn't have to keep being changed every time the hoses get taken off.

Viton is actually a registered brand name of DuPont Performance Elastomers, and not a material type, and is a fluoropolymer elastomer.

Competing materials are...
Dyneon by 3M, USA.
Dai-El by Daikin, Japan.
Tecnoflon by Solvay Solexis, Italy.

Nitrile rubber, (also known as Buna-N, Perbunan, or NBR) should also do the trick, and last through the hose removal and replacement process.
It is considerably cheaper than Viton, and can also be obtained in a nice handy boxed set such as this - Imperial O Ring Seal Kit 382 Piece Simply Bearings Ltd

·
Registered
3,806 Posts
Imagine us both posting links to the same site at same time eh John, spooky or what !!

Those are the babies as long as Tony can confirm the size.
The kit I posted with the nitrile rings should also be ok. Maybe the nitrile rings can be obtained separately too.

·
Registered
1,210 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I know Mark!! Get out of my head lol. I did contact a Ducati dealer this morning and asked them, they said if I posted them one they would try and match it up as this is what the Ducati techs do!!!

The price on the hoses with the seals on was £100 each!!

John

·
Registered
3,806 Posts
:eek:

Sod paying that. You'll get something sorted from that Simply Bearings site I'm quite sure.

I need some Viton rings for my CO2 air rifle actually.

·
Mr Leakered
8,816 Posts
Those are close to the three sizes (5-204, 5-209, 5-712) from the spec. Looking back at my pics in the other thread, the 5-204 was a bit small compared to the 10yr old greenies. So, I can see that one size up should still work. £3 each plus shipping does suck though. At least it is a source in oil compatible material.

It would be good to have optional sizes to use.

Have a good one.

·
Mr Leakered
8,816 Posts
I know Mark!! Get out of my head lol. I did contact a Ducati dealer this morning and asked them, they said if I posted them one they would try and match it up as this is what the Ducati techs do!!!

John
That is wrong in so many ways.

Have a good one.

·
Mr Leakered
8,816 Posts
They don't have to be made from Viton I guess. Even if they swell up when coming into contact with oil they should still do the job ok between oil changes.
The advantage of Viton (or similar) is that they wouldn't have to keep being changed every time the hoses get taken off.

Viton is actually a registered brand name of DuPont Performance Elastomers, and not a material type, and is a fluoropolymer elastomer.

Competing materials are...
Dyneon by 3M, USA.
Dai-El by Daikin, Japan.
Tecnoflon by Solvay Solexis, Italy.

Nitrile rubber, (also known as Buna-N, Perbunan, or NBR) should also do the trick, and last through the hose removal and replacement process.
It is considerably cheaper than Viton, and can also be obtained in a nice handy boxed set such as this - Imperial O Ring Seal Kit 382 Piece Simply Bearings Ltd
There was a material code, but no brand name associated with them. I will search on the code later.

Have a good one.

1 - 20 of 51 Posts