Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
2002 ST4S & 2017 R1200GS Rallye
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Following up to my introduction in the new members thread here is the story of a 42 year old dirtbag, a 20 year old italian motorcycle, and the trials/tribulations of ressurecting both to a much better condition. I've been looking for an ST4s after a good friend let me stable his last year while he was waiting for his new house to wrapup getting built. I got smitten to say the least and my R1200GS Rallye needed a friend. N+1 right?

The original owner of this 2002 ST4s was Darius Milani who rode the bike a lot prior to his passing in 2019 at the age of 63. The 2nd owner only rode about 1000 miles in two years, and upon retirement is moving to Italy. It came with basic records since new, some interesting farkles along with some original parts. Bit over 50k miles. Some pictures to start.

Brown Wood Font Writing Stationery
Hand tool Metalworking hand tool Tool Snips Nipper
Ingredient Food Gas Cuisine Storage basket

Font Material property Writing Paper Document

Font Motor vehicle Automotive lighting Gas Magenta

Book Handwriting Rectangle Font Publication

Tire Wheel Fuel tank Vehicle Automotive lighting

Tire Wheel Vehicle Fuel tank Automotive lighting

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Disassembly just about complete. I don't see any need to divorce the frame/engine.

Suspension needs refresh (front/rear leaks). Was rebuilt by Pro-Pilot racing about 25k ago to suit a 200lb gorilla (such as myself!). Ti-N coating is showing wear/thinning too.

Clutch needs refresh (drum/basket/friction discs/steels). Barnett basket was put in a long time ago, but even the aluminum basket with stainless inserts will groove/wear over time. New one on the way.

Belts will be replaced for insurance, the were done recently mileage wise but not age.

Chain/sprocket/gear all due as well (15/42). Current sprockets ok, but chain is stiff.

Tires are good, brakes are good, wheel bearings are all good. Steering tube was swapped to tapered bearings a while ago and feels good. Seat is a Corbin that could use a recovering.

I'll have the plastics repainted original color.

Valve clearance check/adjustment if needed.

Replacement of super high handlebar risers with OEM Ducati, same with rear brake and gear shift pedals after removing custom footpeg lowering brackets. Removal of some wiring farkles (communication system and old inop ZUMO GPS).

And a thorough cleaning for good measure. LT Snyders Desmoquattro book along with factory service manual are my study guides. Anything else I should be looking for/at please feel free to chime in. I'm new to Ducati's but not to wrenches.

Motor vehicle Working animal Plant Wood Flooring

Tire Wheel Fuel tank Vehicle Automotive tire

Tire Wheel Automotive tire Vehicle Motor vehicle

·
Registered
1998 ST2
10 Posts
I’ll be doing a similar refresh on a 50,000 mile ST2 that I acquired from the original owner. The bike was well cared for…but a refresh is in order. I have timing belts, valve check (hopefully not an adjustment) and a R/R replacement to do as a minimum. I’ll likely refresh all fluids in the suspension and engine. The clutch and brake fluids are brand new since the prior owner just added SS Braided lines.

·
Registered
1,725 Posts
When I did a refresh on my ST3 I changed out the coolant hoses. I noticed some paint flaking at the pipe union, so I changed them for piece of mind.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Parts are trickling in. Fuel filter replaced along with fuel lines. Mahle KL145 is the direct replacement. Ducati part is made by Mahle, only difference is Ducati logo that will cost you $10 more.

Fuel line between pump and filter is Gates 27093. 12" piece will leave you with about a 1.5" scrap after doing both pieces. I replaced the screw clamps that often let loose with stainless steel single ear hose clamps.

New clutch drum, Barnett basket, and Barnett clutch kit received. Pressure plate, springs, and rod bearing in transit. Rod bearing is an SKF 6201-2RS2/C3GWF.

Cam belts reveived from CA Cycleworks.

DID 525VX3 Chain, JT 42t rear gear, and 15t front sprocket received from Sprocket Center. NGK DCPR9EIX 2316 plugs and Norma 20-32mm hose clamps received from Amazon.

Next week, cam removal to check chrome plating on rockers plus some extra stuff time permitting.

Power tool Audio equipment Gas Engineering Machine tool

Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive lighting Automotive design Rim

·
Registered
3,039 Posts
Fuel line between pump and filter is Gates 27093. 12" piece will leave you with about a 1.5" scrap after doing both pieces. I replaced the screw clamps that often let loose with stainless steel single ear hose clamps.

View attachment 1042945
I did my submersible fuel lines when it was $30 a foot, now it's $45! But where did you get the return line going back to the pump? It's a smaller diameter and the parts sources I've seen say NLA. Auto parts stores around here aren't carrying submersible line that small.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I didn't do the pre-formed return line since it's low pressure and didn't show any signs of going bad (swelling, deformation, splitting, etc). Just the high pressure sections between pump/filter and filter/base.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Pressure plate and springs installed.

Pulled off the old Evoluzione Cyclesports slave cylinder and was greeted with shmoo.

NFG.

Now I see if I can track down rebuild parts or if replacement is needed instead. Seems many small companies that once made parts for these bikes are long gone. Ducati Designs...Evoluzione Cyclesports...bummer

Time for some Ninja Google-fu and a gander at McMaster-Carr for some Viton o-rings.

Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive fuel system Motorcycle Vehicle brake

Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive fuel system Automotive design Automotive lighting

Hand Automotive lighting Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive design

Automotive lighting Automotive tire Wood Cylinder Metal

·
Registered
1,725 Posts
I bought an Oberon, they have 6 different colors to choose from. You might consider pulling the clutch control rod and check the 2 small o-rings on it.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts