Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Afternoon guys,

So lately I’ve been getting peculiar oil pressure warnings, started off with the oil level being a little low, fortunately the oil pressure light came right on as I arrived home from work. So the next day I added some more oil (will find spec shortly) and all was well.

Then back about 5-6 weeks ago, this time traveling to work, my oil pressure light came on while doing 80mph, I immediately pulled over and as I came to a stop the light went out. I switched the engine off, then back on and could see the oil level lowering as I restarted the engine, so I knew the pump was ok, I continued to work at a lower pace, and the light didn’t return for the remainder of the journey, and no sign of it at end of work either.

Now fast forward to this week, again similar issue as previous (light came on etc...) this time it stayed on. I cautiously rode to work watching engine temp like a hawk (which remained steady at 66/67c in OAT of around 5-6c) and engine performed fine. Once at work I started her up again, oil light was off, and stayed off so took the chance to ride her home (97 mile one way, so 185 miles a day roughly) I got 15 miles into my homeward journey, and the light came on again, and stayed on again. Did the usual stop check level etc... and all seemed good, stopped at my local fuel station, after getting off the bike, I noticed oil residue all around the sender area for the PX switch, oil level again was fine (albeit ever so slightly lower) fuelled up, and headed for home which was still around 20 miles away, and on starting, oil light went off, and stayed off for the remainder of the journey (this was last night) so yesterday I covered approx 90 miles with this light on I for one don’t think it’s low oil pressure, otherwise I’d have a seized engine and I’d be parked on the side of the road.

What you guys think? Pressure switch, stuck bypass valve? I will add that she was serviced back mid summer last year, and has only done 2500 miles since being done.

Kinda scratching my head on this one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
4,138 Posts
Are you a risk taker?

If yes keep riding it and if it is bad you need an engine rebuild (crankshaft etc).

If not 2 ways to try.

Best is to get the oil pressure tested, test both hot and cold and look for large fluctuations of the needle to tell you are losing a rod bearing. If abnormal pressure you need a rebuild most likely.

Second best may be to buy/borrow a second pressure switch and see if it is the problem. Often it is and if the switch is wet inside where the wire plugs in that is your issue most likely.

Before any of these look at the connection and see if you simply filled the sensor with water from washing or riding in the rain.

I am going to bet on #2

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Are you a risk taker?

If yes keep riding it and if it is bad you need an engine rebuild (crankshaft etc).

If not 2 ways to try.

Best is to get the oil pressure tested, test both hot and cold and look for large fluctuations of the needle to tell you are losing a rod bearing. If abnormal pressure you need a rebuild most likely.

Second best may be to buy/borrow a second pressure switch and see if it is the problem. Often it is and if the switch is wet inside where the wire plugs in that is your issue most likely.

Before any of these look at the connection and see if you simply filled the sensor with water from washing or riding in the rain.

I am going to bet on #2
I’m going with an issue with the px switch, the fact that there’s oil around the filler/switch area of the engine could suggest oil leaking through possibly?? As you say, it’s the easiest to replace. I’ve got my annual oil service kit already which I bought early when this all started (5ltrs of oil, filter, new crush washer etc..) but weather has been pretty miserable here in the UK since the New Year. She is due a big service this year anyhow, new timing belts, changing clutch and basket (good time to take cover off and have a good look) as well as new chain and sprockets.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,860 Posts
Hey, you can't run that thing without a spark plug wire!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts