Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Hey all!

This is my first Ducati.
It's an 2002 900 sport (i was told it's almost the same as an SS just a few parts lower quality like suspension / brakes / wheels). Engine should be an SS equivalent.

Bike was first registered in 2011 with not much miles on it.

It is fuel injected.

I have had it for about 5 months and want to do some basic maintenance, although I've had no issues at all with the bike.

I would like to do the maintenance myself as I cant afford Ducati dealers doing it...

What should I change? Bike is completely stock.

I was planning on draining the oil and replacing with new, also the oil filter I would change.

I'm thinking of replacing the air filter as well. I found a deal for £50 for a new K&N air filter and K&N oil filter, heard good things about those?

I'm currently looking at cutting off the top of the airbox, after the filter change, replacing the stock exhaust with some slip ons and getting a power commander to fix the fuel/air levels.

Is there anything else I should worry about looking at?

As I said cash is tight so please dont tell me to take it to a dealer and get all sorts of stuff done which I cant afford... but any useful feedback / suggestions would be great!!

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
2,434 Posts
Oil the chain, keep the tires filled and change motor oil (and filter of course) once a year or every 3,000 miles. That's about all the maintenance it should need for a while. Cam belts next. Air filter should be fine. K&N flows better, but probably doesn't filter as well as stock.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I have a 2002 Sport that I've turned into a SuperSport. The fairings are lower quality and the suspension is not very good, at least.

I have the K&N, which is good. I took out the rubber intake "snorkels" but left the rest of the intake box stock. I paid a friend to make a custom exhaust.

Anyway, there are many things that can be done to these bikes fortunately.

Buy the Haynes manual for the bike.

But, the only thing you need to do has already been stated: change the oil and filter regularly, check the chain tension, clean it and lube it as well. Change the hydraulic fluids once per year as well. Enjoy the bike!

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Great! Thanks a lot for all your advice!
What I've decided to do is get the PC first that way I can adjust the map as I get mods. I cant afford to get all at once, but I can use free maps from online, which I'm sure will be good enough to save my bike from breaking and use some of the additional performance from the new parts. I'll change the oil and filter and lube the crap out of it :)

Thanks again.

·
Excel Addict
2001 900SSie
5,345 Posts
Oil the chain, keep the tires filled and change motor oil (and filter of course) once a year or every 3,000 miles. That's about all the maintenance it should need for a while. Cam belts next. Air filter should be fine. K&N flows better, but probably doesn't filter as well as stock.
Maybe it is terminology, but use a chain lube not oil.

Tires/tyres - I keep my bike on race/paddock stands so flat spots due to weight don't develop.

Oil - yes change at 3000 miles and oil filter.
Don't forget to also clean the mesh screen on the right hand side of the engine.

Cam belts - check and adjust if necessary at whatever 20,000 kM is in miles. ExactFit from ca-cycleworks have been in mine for much more than above and still fine.

K&N - check their filtration claims. My K&N and hence engine have 87,000 kM and still as strong as ever. If I wanted to I could clean it every ride.

Power Commander - many threads on ECUs. I have Tuneboy software in my ECU and very happy. Also many threads on Tuneboy not responding. They DO have software and the required cable for EFI 900SS. Interestingly Tuneboy ads appear on this web site. Nice thing is, if required, I can connect to the ECU with my computer and change things in the map within the confines of the Marelli ECU.

·
Registered
133 Posts
If no one has mentioned it yet, if you go to Ducati of Omaha on line, sorry I can't make a link work here, but they have the parts lists on line and you can down load the PDF for your bike. It is worth going through it to familiarize yourself with the nuts and bolts of the machine. Like it has more than one filter for the engine oil. I have a 2001 SS 900 ei, love it by the way, like I am sure you will your Duc, but once you have the part you need, you can go to places like E-bay and other distributors of motorcycle parts and get the best price available. Also, look in this forum for a parts listings thread, it will give quite a few cross references for parts. One in particular, if I read the bit correctly, was a particular relay that has known issues in stock trim and costs like $50 from Ducati, but the part at your local NAPA is $14 and of better quality. Look around, chances are that there is some one on here that has had the problem or question you have and can help to guide you to the right parts and pieces.

Good luck! And have you named your Mistress yet? My lady in the red dress, her name is Isabella.

Old Dog...

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
133 Posts
+1 and the chain lube "debate"

As the saying goes, opinions are like arseholes - everyone has one:D

I don't mind spending 20 bucks a year on a can of "special" lube.
After all, I probably spend more than that in a day or so on beer and whisky.
Hell yes! A man after my own heart! Going to the 2013 east coast Duc meet and greet? I would be willing to bring the first bottle!

Old Dog...

·
Excel Addict
2001 900SSie
5,345 Posts
Hell yes! A man after my own heart! Going to the 2013 east coast Duc meet and greet? I would be willing to bring the first bottle!

Old Dog...

Unfortunately I reside in Australia so will not see you there. Would love to though.

Fortunately I will be riding to Phillip Island for round 1 of WSBK with 7 friends (some Dms members met via this forum) and my partner carrying our crap in her car.

She actually likes some extra bit of weight in the car as she fangs thru the twisties as well. Keeps the weight off the bikes as well.

Dunno yet but looks like I will get loaned a Kwaka ZX14R to take there. I have ridden one before and it was absolutely incredible. Also saves clocking up 3,000 kM more on my Duc, even though I love it dearly and still give many brands a run for their money thru the twisties.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
If no one has mentioned it yet, if you go to Ducati of Omaha on line, sorry I can't make a link work here, but they have the parts lists on line and you can down load the PDF for your bike. It is worth going through it to familiarize yourself with the nuts and bolts of the machine. Like it has more than one filter for the engine oil. I have a 2001 SS 900 ei, love it by the way, like I am sure you will your Duc, but once you have the part you need, you can go to places like E-bay and other distributors of motorcycle parts and get the best price available. Also, look in this forum for a parts listings thread, it will give quite a few cross references for parts. One in particular, if I read the bit correctly, was a particular relay that has known issues in stock trim and costs like $50 from Ducati, but the part at your local NAPA is $14 and of better quality. Look around, chances are that there is some one on here that has had the problem or question you have and can help to guide you to the right parts and pieces.

Good luck! And have you named your Mistress yet? My lady in the red dress, her name is Isabella.

Old Dog...

+1 Great thanks! I'll get myself familiar with this!

·
Registered
7,858 Posts
The important thing is to use something to keep it from rusting, and keep it adjusted. Some folks are fond of just wiping the chain down with a rag damp with diesel. As far as mods to the bike, one tooth down on the front sprocket makes a noticeable improvement in acceleration and rideability . You can bore your stock mufflers if you don't want to spend for aftermarket. They are nice but not a cost effective performance item. Change you fork oil. Set your sag. eBay some adjustable rear shocks.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
The important thing is to use something to keep it from rusting, and keep it adjusted. Some folks are fond of just wiping the chain down with a rag damp with diesel. As far as mods to the bike, one tooth down on the front sprocket makes a noticeable improvement in acceleration and rideability . You can bore your stock mufflers if you don't want to spend for aftermarket. They are nice but not a cost effective performance item. Change you fork oil. Set your sag. eBay some adjustable rear shocks.
Thanks for the tips, I've never done anything to pipes myself before, would coring them be above my abilities? are there any easy to follow guides? What are the chances I'll ruin my pipes and end up with no pipes?

Thanks,

·
Registered
7,858 Posts
Its always possible to screw something up, no matter how simple. There are threads on this site about coring stock mufflers. Read them and decide if you want to tackle it. I tapped myself dry when I bought my bike so I did what I could. Besides, I enjoy doing this kind of stuff.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts