Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello folks my bike won't go past 160kmph in top Gear? Has anyone else with this bike have the same problem?

Thanks!

·
Registered
5,895 Posts
Seriously, that’s not normal at all. Are you saying it starts and runs fine but just flattens out in top gear and won’t rev anymore at 160 kph ? First would be check fuel flow. Do you hear your pump running when you turn the key on ? If you’re getting decent fuel flow at the carbs, do a tune up. Check for a clogged air filter. Run some SeaFoam through it. Remove your air filter and make sure both carb slides open when you turn the throttle with engine running.

·
Excel Addict
5,085 Posts
Seriously, that’s not normal at all. Are you saying it starts and runs fine but just flattens out in top gear and won’t rev anymore at 160 kph ? First would be check fuel flow. Do you hear your pump running when you turn the key on ? If you’re getting decent fuel flow at the carbs, do a tune up. Check for a clogged air filter. Run some SeaFoam through it. Remove your air filter and make sure both carb slides open when you turn the throttle with engine running.
It is 2002 so no carbs!
It would not even start if there was no fuel pump sound.

Agree with checking the air filter.
Also fuel filter.
Could be clogged injectors, so the Seafoam would help.

Do you get a "whoosh" sound when you open the gas cap.
That could be blocked, but a common issue is when lowering the tank (after lifting) it is unfortunately easy to kink the fuel pipes.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the reply.

This is Fuel Injected so no carbs. It basically felt like the Rev limiter but it's not a Rev limiter as I've gone past 7k RPM in the lower gears.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It is 2002 so no carbs!
It would not even start if there was no fuel pump sound.

Agree with checking the air filter.
Also fuel filter.
Could be clogged injectors, so the Seafoam would help.

Do you get a "whoosh" sound when you open the gas cap.
That could be blocked, but a common issue is when lowering the tank (after lifting) it is unfortunately easy to kink the fuel pipes.
The air filter looks good, will check the fuel filter. Will also pour the whole bottle of seafoam with a full tank and report back.

Could have just kinked the fuel pipes as had lifted the tank few times before.

·
Premium Member
3,593 Posts
as I've gone past 7k RPM in the lower gears.
Are you saying it will not pull past 7000rpm in top gear?
If so the bike may have stock gearing and almost NO Ducati will pull redline in top gear with stock gearing, that should not feel like hitting a limiter though.

will it pull to the rev limiter in the gear below top gear? I assume you have a 5 speed gearbox. is that true?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I believe it's stock sprockets. It doesn't redline in 5th gear (top) but goes over 7k.

So I was on the highway yesterday and tried to replicate the issue but I actually noticed I went over 160 kph without it cutting out. I wanted to see how much further it goes but there was traffic ahead. So now I'm not sure whether it was just something in the fuel delivery or a speed limiter. I will try again today and see when does it cut off.

·
Premium Member
543 Posts
You didn't fill out your profile so no one knows what country you're in or where the bike was delivered. There are some countries with 100mph (162kph) limiters. If the bike can redline in lower gears but can't exceed 100mph, I would suspect that there could be an electronic limiter.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts