Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2002 Supersport 750 IE that won't start. It started up once, I let it run for 10 minutes to let the engine and components cycle after sitting all winter. I tried to start it the next day but it wouldn't start. Using the cold start lever, it would sound like it was trying to turn over but it just wouldn't catch. Eventually the sound slowly faded out so now nothing happens, No sound, No clicking, nothing at all. I checked the battery, electrical components and all fluids but everything was very good. Battery is brand new, fully charged and has a solid, high volt reading.

There is no Ducati dealer or authorized Ducati mechanic in my city to help.

Can anyone tell me what may be wrong? How do I fix this?

Allen

·
Registered
954 Posts
Has the small white plug vibrated out of your starter solenoid?

Known problem on Ducati's, mine did it once before I ziptied it in there. ;)

There is no retainer clip, they are just pushed in there??!

·
Registered
954 Posts
Thinking about this - did you remove your battery over Winter? It sounds to me to be a bad connection somewhere inline to the starter?

Run a jump lead from your battery ground to your motor ground (lead attaches behind the r/h footrest, is a series of problematic bootlace leads...)

If no improvement, attach a jumplead to your battery positive & with your ignition & choke on, bike ready to start etc - dab the other end on the starter connection, removing it when the bike starts?

The starter leads are/were good enough when the bike was new, but after years of use, rain & corrosion provide a VERY poor current-carrying capacity... My SS used to chuff & wheeze its way started but after replacing & upgrading ALL the starter & ground leads it now spins up like an IL4! :D

·
Registered
266 Posts
light sanding

sounds like your starting circuit is complete, just need more juice. so,
i agree,

sand both ends of the +lead. not sure about the later models but the +lead at my starter has a rubber cap. since the open end is pointing up, it's perfect for collecting moisture. i'd remove the +lead here, then sand the lead and starter washer/connection. add dieletric grease here to prevent corrosion.

repeat at both ends of all grounds. my 96 has another ground between the engine and frame at the footpeg bracket (shown in last pic). still was painted when i got my bike, (tough to ground thru paint!). then add dielectric grease.

this is something i do in the off-season. i also disconnect the leads at the reg/rec and add dielectric grease there too.

good luck, it'll go for sure.
bobp

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thread Update!

Well guys, it took some digging but I believe I found the issue. I tried all the steps everyone mentioned. Aside from a loose starter/ignition plug that kept coming loose, everything checked out fine. The starter plug was so tightly tied off it kept coming unplugged. Easy fix here....At least I could here the engine trying to turn over after that fix.

What I found was, my bikes wiring system had some, well quite a few, wires that were soldered, loose, reconnected, previously fixed, etc. Well I started tracing the wiring system starting at the main unit behind the battery, I found way to many wires that were repaired at some point. After "playing" with the wires (moving them around, removing some corrosion) the bike started up, at least briefly.

Sadly, I believe the wiring will need to be completely upgraded/replaced. $$$$

1 - 6 of 6 Posts