Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 123 Posts

·
Registered
313 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have always wanted to pick up a 748. I have a chance to buy a 2002 748s with 11k miles in titanium grey from the original owner. Cosmetically the bike is in decent shape but for some reason the owner clear coated the fairings so it doesn't have the matte look anymore. The catch is that the bike hasn't been ridden in 6-7 years. He wants $4k. Thoughts?

·
Registered
313 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks guys. I am totally up for DIY. However, I have never dealt with a bike that has sat for an extended period of time so I have no idea what unique issues I am in for aside from the normal belts, etc.

·
Registered
2,495 Posts
You can't really know for sure what you are getting until you open the box of chocolates.
Even then you will probably not be sure until you take things apart. Reason to offer low perhaps.

·
Registered
3,862 Posts
$2k work, belts, valves, tires - might get lucky with the fuel tank and pump as it looks well kept. I'd say it would be worth $6k or so all done, so maybe his asking price is not too far off. If this is in California I would definitely jump on it as the price won't go much lower.

·
Registered
current Ducatis '00 748s, 93 900ss
76 Posts
it worth that in parts, but just. I picked up a 2001, 748s about a year ago in similar shape (not as nice cosmetically) for about $2000. its taken me about $1000 in parts to get it right (belts, tires, shims, hoses......). it has less miles than this one but it seems that prices have gone up. I think you could drop it off at a good indy (or possibly official dealer) and have it on the road for $6500, diy $5000-5500. I would easily spend 3 for that if it is as nice as it looks and has no hidden issues.

·
Premium Member
5,431 Posts
If buying to flip it walk away. if you want a great 748 run don't walk as it will not last long at that price. Most of what I see dragged into the shop for "cheap" Ducati's cost way more often than expensive ducati's. ask to see it with the fairings and tank off and if in as good a shape under the bodywork consider it a good deal. look in the gas tank and take a smell, if the gas is green and tank rusty drop about $500-1000. Looking at the outside I doubt it will be. I would gamble on that bike myself as i know beater bikes and that does not look like one. Original owner is a big plus.

Yes plan on changing ;
tires
Belts
Battery
chain and sprockets (520 on a 748 is stock and they last about 12k, if it has a gold chain then it has already been changed.
and the cost of a full service (was due at 12k anyway) .
Expect costs around $2000 for the above items.

This will get you to about $6000 all in and no you will not sell it for that for a few years, but if you hold it for 5 years or more and keep it in good shape i bet you sell it for more. If like some of us you always wanted one I doubt you will care about costs as it is still one of the best looking bikes ever built and they are one of the best machines you will ever work on. There are bikes that are cheaper and bikes with more performance today but not many will bring a smile to your face as quick when you realize you own one of these.

·
Registered
12 Posts
If you don't buy it off him I might 😁
I've been looking for a 748 for a few months. Here in Southern California there not as many examples as I would like. The only post I've been able to find under $5500 for any condition748 is over 2 years old. That paint scheme is not common either so I would go for it!

·
Registered
313 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
If buying to flip it walk away. if you want a great 748 run don't walk as it will not last long at that price.
Thank you everyone. I definitely wont be flipping this bike. The 748 has been a dream bike of mine since I first saw one when I was a teenager so I will be keeping it forever. Is there any potential damage specific to old gas or fluids sitting in the bike? For example, the injectors, fuel pump, oil pump, etc?

·
Premium Member
1,224 Posts
I guess I’m the loser here but I think that’s not a bad buy at $4k. It just needs a good going through. $2k in parts and a fun time and you have a great bike.

It’s not an investment to make money off of. It’s a bike to enjoy using.

·
Registered
313 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
If you don't buy it off him I might 😁
I've been looking for a 748 for a few months. Here in Southern California there not as many examples as I would like. The only post I've been able to find under $5500 for any condition748 is over 2 years old. That paint scheme is not common either so I would go for it!
LOL! I am in SoCal!!!!!

·
Registered
1,542 Posts
That's a rare bike, colour combo wise, and one that I find extremely desirable..
If that showed up on my local Craigslist i'd be spending money I don't have to put it in my garage, cuz that bike, at that price around here wouldn't show up again for who knows how long.., but hey, that's just me in this corner of the world

·
Registered
313 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
If that showed up on my local Craigslist i'd be spending money I don't have to put it in my garage
HA HA HA!! Me too! This is just terrible timing because I got a kid going to college in the fall! Let me think...tuition or a 748s??? It shouldnt be this tough of a decision!

·
Registered
current Ducatis '00 748s, 93 900ss
76 Posts
That's a rare bike, colour combo wise,
unfortunately since it has been clear coated the rarity of the bike is greatly diminished. I personally like the clear coated look on it (never seen it before but it works) but to make it original again would be cost prohibitive. good luck finding a replacement flat body set, let alone one at a reasonable cost. that is one of the drawbacks of the single year bikes. luckily from what we see it appears to be in good shape.
I got a kid going to college in the fall! Let me think...tuition or a 748s??? It shouldnt be this tough of a decision!
if its me its not a tough decision. I'm not likely to be too upset about a bike that I didn't buy, but if I don't have the finances or they are earmarked for something that is arguably more important....
either way thanks for sharing and let us know what happens either way.
-mjn

·
Registered
313 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
unfortunately since it has been clear coated the rarity of the bike is greatly diminished. I personally like the clear coated look on it (never seen it before but it works) but to make it original again would be cost prohibitive. good luck finding a replacement flat body set, let alone one at a reasonable cost. that is one of the drawbacks of the single year bikes. luckily from what we see it appears to be in good shape.

if its me its not a tough decision. I'm not likely to be too upset about a bike that I didn't buy, but if I don't have the finances or they are earmarked for something that is arguably more important....
either way thanks for sharing and let us know what happens either way.
-mjn
I dont know much about painting but I wonder what it would take to make the finish matte again? As for my comment about it being a tough decision, I was only kidding. I am fortunate enough to have saved for my kid's college education already.

·
Registered
3,503 Posts
i've done a lot of these after the last few years. blocked compensating ports in master cylinders, blocked brake and clutch hoses, everything in the tank rooted, suspension leaks once it gets moved from where it sat, shit like that.

if you want it, buy it and fix whatever is wrong. might be cheap, might not. not like you can buy a new one.

·
Registered
3,862 Posts
It has the look of a bike that has been covered in a climate moderated, if not controlled, garage for those years. It's the tire condition that I see to make that opinion. From the background vehicles I'd say this owner knew his way around taking care of expensive motors, so that peek in the gas tank may show it is ready to go.
I may be in the minority, but I would not start that bike on those belts.

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
I was in a situation like this 2 years ago it was 998 that had been in static
display for years in a living room. The best advice that I got was if you cant
start it or ride it it's worth what the parts are worth. This was before I went to
see the bike it was hours away from me. I have no problem working on bikes
as I always have since I started riding dirt bikes as a kid in the early 70's and
always do my own work. I took tools to remove the fairings an engine turning
tool etc ended up buying it. I got lucky the owner had the bike prepped for
storage by a shop. I didn't have to deal with too many issues cost me less
than $1000 to get her up and running tires, battery, belts, shims, fluids and
misc parts.

1 - 20 of 123 Posts