Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
3,448 Posts
are these the same as all previous superbike years ?
2002 748 bikes use ST4 heads which require different timing belts than the other Desmoquattro superbikes. All the rockers are interchangeable with other Desmoquattros, and, yes, they can flake on you. I've had at least six opening rockers go bad on my 2002 748, and now all my openers are replaced with Megacycled replated rockers. There is a lot of information to be found on rockers and the 2002 748 with a search or two.

·
Registered
1,062 Posts
are these the same as all previous superbike years ?

the more read about this bike the more i find out it was very different ?

just want to be sure before i make a big buy
all moving parts will fail with time. However, I rode mine till 9700 miles without a single one failing. I RELIGIOUSLY warmed up the bike at idle for at least 90 seconds (there was a thread that explained that it took at least that long for the oil to make to the heads), I always used synthetic motor oil every 3k miles.
I have my flame suit on because this is MY THEORY. Because I rode it almost every day, there always was some oil in the heads, albeit small quantity, coating the valvetrain. If you leave the bike sitting long enough ALL oil will drain down and when you start the bike, there is no oil at all in the valvetrain. AGAIN, this is only my theory OR maybe I was one of the lucky ones that never had that issue. And I rode it like I stole it.

·
Registered
762 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
sweet , thanks guys , i'm already over "Rocker Shock" now just in the repair process. I ordered a set used out of a 996. I think there are alot of ideas around the cause, but , right now a full set of used openers and closer is a fraction of the cost of having mine re-chromed. The more I think about the Megacycle method the less I become a fan of the whole idea of Grindind more of the surface away. thus making the rocker thinner ..... with a larger protective coating ..:think:..... i'm going to stay on top of the clearances to see how the used set goes......

·
Registered
3,448 Posts
The more I think about the Megacycle method the less I become a fan of the whole idea of Grindind more of the surface away. thus making the rocker thinner ..... with a larger protective coating .
They grind them down, weld them up, and then put a better chrome plating on them. The rockers still are factory spec, just with better chrome.

·
Registered
536 Posts
sweet , thanks guys , i'm already over "Rocker Shock" now just in the repair process. I ordered a set used out of a 996. I think there are alot of ideas around the cause, but , right now a full set of used openers and closer is a fraction of the cost of having mine re-chromed.
..replacement OEM rockers are just as prone to flaking as the originals, so youre not necessarily solving the problem...just maybe delaying it for a while longer.

·
Registered
62 Posts
I went with MBP for the re-chrome. Also while I was at it, I replaced all the valve keepers with MBP collets. Of course, this now weds you to EMS shims, but you don't have to worry about clearances changing as much.

Neil

·
Registered
3,448 Posts
Megacycle welds the rocker with Nickel-Chrome alloy.
Sorry, I remembered incorrectly. I used to work for Cooper Industries (Crescent Tools) and our tools were nickel-chrome plated where the nickel plating was done first, and then the chrome plating. I guess I was thinking of my old job when I responded earlier.

·
Registered
285 Posts
The Megacycle rockers are a LOT heavier.

I have not had a new OEM rocker flake. I have a 1999 ST4 with 56K miles and once I got through a few bad ones in the first year or two of ownership I never had another fail. I also race a 748 and the new ones work fine there too.

That being said, I agree that MBP has and excellent process that leaves the rocker weight pretty much unchanged and seems to last well.

·
Registered
3,448 Posts
I have not had a new OEM rocker flake.
I sure have.

This OEM replacement rocker was bought and installed in 2006 at 5600 miles and set to 0.004". At 12k, the rocker showed no signs of wear and was still at 0.004". By 18k miles, this is what it looked like...

1 - 14 of 14 Posts