Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
666 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I lost a couple of the fairing bolts and the rubber connectors. I went online and saw that there are some places that sell complete kits, but none of the bolts have that gold/anodized look. Is there a vendor that does sell these?

Also, none of them sell the little cross bars that tie the bottom of the fairings together. Of course I misplaced those as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
666 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks! If the OEM ones are going to be silver, should i just replace them all? Or maybe do a dzus conversion?

·
Registered
18 Posts
They were never gold plated. That would be an expensive way to make a bike. I'm pretty sure they are just passivated zinc plated. It's a chromate solution which improves corrosion resistance. Any good plating shop should be able to clean and re-plate all your fasteners for a lot less than gold plating, but you may have to specify "gold" rather than "clear".

Passivation isn't a technical term but it implies that the surface finish is less likely to react with the elements. It's often called yellow chromate, so talk to your plating company and tell them what you want.

Our local plating shop usually works in 100 pound lots, so I collect a bucket load including spokes and bolts and axles for several projects and usually get then clear/silver because it's easier. There are others which handle much smaller job lots but they are all geared towards professional size job lots, so ask around.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts