Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm having difficulty getting the bike into neutral when I pull up to a stop light. Occasionally I'll get lucky and hit it but more often than not I have to sit there with the clutch engaged. No issues if the engine isn't running and no other problems going up and down the gears. Any suggestions?...and I'm not much of a mechanic so if it's too involved I usually go the safe route and take it in.

·
Registered
114 Posts
1 Bleed the clutch, replace the fluid with Dot 4.
2 Select neutral before stopping

·
Still needs a life.
12,593 Posts
Check the foot shift lever, which is adjustable. I once had a similar problem which was solved by adjusting the shift lever.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
1 Bleed the clutch, replace the fluid with Dot 4.
2 Select neutral before stopping
As an aside the bloody thing doesn't have a master bleed valve. Checked the screw inside the reservoir and there wasn't one of those either. There's a place where you could install one but there currently isn't one there. Adjusted the clutch lever to maximum and increased the adjustment on the plunger point and that seems to have done it in terms of finding neutral but that lack of a bleed valve for the master threw me.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
what do you mean by master bleed valve?
If you look at the YouTube videos on how to bleed the clutch system they all reference a bleed valve on the master cylinder next to the reservoir and then another on the slave. The slave cylinder on the engine is what you mainly bleed but they also recommend bleeding the master up on top. For some reason the ST2 doesn't have a bleed valve next to the reservoir. Didn't seem to matter but The ducati videos I watched all had it.

·
Registered
2,681 Posts
are you watching videos of radial masters? the st2 has the same style master as every ducati prior to the advent of radials. anecdotal evidence would suggest it can be made to work just fine.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
It is working fine. Bled the slave and adjusted the travel of the lever and good to go. Yeah, I'm probably watching the wrong videos... mainly just looking for any gotchas but it was really straightforward.

·
Registered
147 Posts
The lack of a master bleed port is easily remedied by adding a bleed type banjo bolt.
Once you know that air in the system is not your problem, you can play with the clutch stack or drop a clutch spring or two to help with the Ducati problems of finding neutral that seem to be everywhere on 90's and early 2000's bike.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts