Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just acquired a 2001 SS900ie with 1091 miles on the clock and probably unused since 2003. So far, I've only replaced the battery (totally dead) and the spark plugs (fouled - black and sooty). Also, I added about 1.5 gallons of fresh high-test fuel with and ounce of Star Tron mixed in. It would then turn over but would not fire at all. During rotation by the starter, there was occasionally an annoying clunk, but I'm hoping this was just "slack" in the starter-to-crank driveline, but I have no prior experience with the SuperSport line, so I don't know. My guess on the non-firing is lack of fuel. I did not hear the fuel pump turn on, which I would have thought would be audible. So there's my problem. The bike is near perfect visually but not running. Suggestions?

·
Premium Member
1,387 Posts
Fuel
Filter
Belts
Plugs
Wires

Hard to say how the Cyl's look like may want to spray some WD40 and dry start then change oil..

Drain Fuel tank is a must imo..

"""PIC's"""

·
Registered
27 Posts
You should hear the fuel pump run before you try starting it. So, since you didn't hear it, then that would be the first item to check. Unfortunately, it's in the gas tank. There should be a fuse for it, but I don't know for sure or where it would be located.

Black sooty plugs means it's running too rich. I had a similar problem but I "fixed" it by using dielectric grease on almost all of the electrical connectors. So, I don't actually know what was causing the problem but I assume it was a bad electrical connection somewhere.

·
Registered
116 Posts
As said above, it's probably that the pump isn't working you should hear a whirring from the pump either when you turn the key or when you put the sidestand up.

However, clunks are bad. That could be anything. Before you do any more start-up attempts you should definitely check the belts. If you could get to them, take the belt covers off and photograph the position of the 3 toothed rollers i /we can confirm that the timing is right from the timing dots. My worry is that if not you may have pistons hitting valves that are out-of-sync.

Congrats on the bike btw, you're going to love it.

·
Premium Member
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yep, I'm thinking fuel pump, too. BTW, I'm pretty sure I hear the relay for the pump make up, but no whirring. Also, the new plugs seem completely dry and are firing.

·
Registered
44 Posts
When these bikes sit the front horizontal cylinder needs to be pulled and checked, that clunk is probably your cam shaft hitting gunk or not firing properly - it's an hours worth of work but well worth it.

Sent from my iPhone using Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
49 Posts
Check the connector under your fuel tank, its a four-wire connector and it practically falls apart, this is a common reason for the fuelpump to go on strike.
The wires are ground, +12V, fuel level in and out.

Good luck!

·
Premium Member
1,387 Posts
When these bikes sit the front horizontal cylinder needs to be pulled and checked, that clunk is probably your cam shaft hitting gunk or not firing properly - it's an hours worth of work but well worth it.

Sent from my iPhone using Motorcycle.com Free App
:think: the same thing...

·
Registered
15 Posts
Curveman / Whitehurst.... Guy can you explain what you mean, cylinder must be pulled? Head off? Plug?... Just wondering I have no pro lens, bit my 900 has been say for a few months, and pro ably at least another to go. She will get lots of TLC when I get her out,, but this is something I never heard about..

·
Registered
133 Posts
I just acquired a 2001 SS900ie with 1091 miles on the clock and probably unused since 2003. So far, I've only replaced the battery (totally dead) and the spark plugs (fouled - black and sooty). Also, I added about 1.5 gallons of fresh high-test fuel with and ounce of Star Tron mixed in. It would then turn over but would not fire at all. During rotation by the starter, there was occasionally an annoying clunk, but I'm hoping this was just "slack" in the starter-to-crank driveline, but I have no prior experience with the SuperSport line, so I don't know. My guess on the non-firing is lack of fuel. I did not hear the fuel pump turn on, which I would have thought would be audible. So there's my problem. The bike is near perfect visually but not running. Suggestions?
the kick stand safety is locked in!!! It was a problem on mine at one point. It would allow me to spin the engine, but would not start until I put the stand up and I was in neutral. Also check the FP fuse. only a possibility...

Old Dog...

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

1 - 12 of 12 Posts