Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have what "I think" is a 2001 996S. However, some things that I read make it sound like it could be a SPS... Does anyone know what some of the distinctive differences could be? Thanks!!!

·
Registered
390 Posts
If it has Ohlins up front, chances are you're guessing it may be a 2000 or 2001 (Left over 2000) SPS...In that case the computer will be the "Larger" P8 unit.

Hope this helps a little...

·
Registered
508 Posts
If it is an sps... it will have shower injection, a p8 comp, aluminum sub, full 50mm factory exhaust with cool "not for road use" stickers on the cans. The cases on the sps are the older greenish color.

·
Super Moderator
8,239 Posts
If it is an sps... it will have shower injection, a p8 comp, aluminum sub, full 50mm factory exhaust with cool "not for road use" stickers on the cans. The cases on the sps are the older greenish color.
The SPS engine was NEVER fitted with shower injectors, the rest is correct

The EUROPEAN model 2001 996S did indeed have the SPS engine. The specs where from the factory said to be excatly like the -00 SPS, but they where not. The 996S (EU) used the 16m ecu instead of the bigger P8 that the SPS bikes had. The reason for this was that the P8 didn´t fit the BiP subfram offered on the 996S(EU). This gives the s a drawback against the sps, because it still used the dual injector TB´s as fitted on the SPS, but the 16m cant operate the injectors individually like the P8 can. This is one of the reasons that FiM offered a new chip called the "single injector model" to cure low engine speed problems.

If its a 996S(EU) then it will have TiN Showa forks, standard Showa steering damper and an Öhlins rear damper. The wheels will be Marchesini 5-spokes fitted with Michelin Pilot SPORT tires (from factory). The Euro 996s did NOT come with a numberplate on the top yoke/triple tree, nor was it delivered with any open exhaust.
Here are pics of a real EURO 996S as my brother owned one between 2001 and 2007 and we did ALOT of work on it. http://hem.passagen.se/mullo/eric.html So it COULD be a Euro 2001 996S

The SPS engine was only sold in the US as a racer i believe.. But getting hold of and fitting SPS cams are not difficult.
Start by checking out the ECU. It its BIG and rectangular about the size of a cigar box and does NOT have one soft round rubber openings, then its a P8. If its a BiP subframe and the compters sits lenghtwise next to the tool holder, then it´s probably a 16M

BUT.. If the top triple says 996S, the its a US 996S and would have been fitted from the factory with a stock 996 engine.

//amullo

·
Registered
390 Posts
What should i be looking for in the VIN? Mine has Ohlins front / rear, alum sub frame, carbon air box...
The 2001 996S had Ohlins/carbon/alum sub...just like the SPS. But as stated above, the computer, exhaust (50mm on SPS) and engine (on US models) were different as were the graphics...Does it have front and rear number plates with red and green?

Heres a pic of a 2001 996S
http://media.photobucket.com/image/2001 ducati 996 foggy/andythomsonsa/DSC_0007-3.jpg

1 - 13 of 13 Posts