Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Vote for the Site Favourite BOTM winner for the year of 2022 HERE!
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

· Registered
1,856 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi guys, just had some questions about a 2001 996 SPS.
  • Should the speedo be in MPH or KPH?
  • Did it come with a carbon fiber front mudguard or a red one?
  • Are the air tube covers carbon fiber?
  • Did it have the Kyalami frame?
  • What other items came with the bike aside from the race only Termis?

· Registered
43 Posts
I own a USA one near you (San Juan). To add to above …Triple is numbered, big P8 ECU, miles for the speedo, Ohlins on later bikes, dual injectors, larger carbon airbox, sps tail logo, but the big stuff is what you cannot see (engine). Probably one of the most visceral bikes I’ve ever ridden. Very throaty sound and has superb midrange power. Very usable. So fun.

· Registered
1,856 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Came with carbon front fender
I have seen 996 SPS bikes with both carbon fiber or red front mudguard. Could the difference be down to year (2000 vs 2001 carryover)?

miles for the speedo
What would it mean if the bike had a KPH speedo? Since the bike I am referring to is a 2001 could it be because it was a carryover from 2000? Or is it a sign that the speedo was replaced?

· Registered
1,877 Posts
I’m just consulting my copy of Fallon.., according to a photo, but not specifically stated in txt, the ‘99 SPS Factory Replica had a red front fender with central white stripe and Michelin man decals. This FR was sold new in Europe, Japan, and Australia. The 2000 FR, or Pista, had a carbon fender like all other SPS. Although i’ve also heard rumours of small batch runs of special SPS for individual markets like Germany, which may have had unique details like red fenders instead of carbon, if they did in fact exist. Falloon makes no mention so it probably is just rumour..

· Registered
125 Posts
The “kyalami“ frame was homologated through 1998 Foggy rep 916 SPS. It only made it into a few models. 2000 748R, 2001 996RS and 2002 998 (according to Falloon)
Didn't the 996R also have the Kyalami frame? I thought the Testastratta engine doesn't fit in the standard frame.

· Registered
95 Posts
Didn't the 996R also have the Kyalami frame? I thought the Testastratta engine doesn't fit in the standard frame.
Yes, You are correct.

And also, there is no such thing as a 2001 996 SPS.
In 2001 there was 996S and 996R.
996 SPS was only produced MY 1999 and 2000.

· Registered
95 Posts
I bought a new 1999 996 SPS back in the day, and it came with:
  • Red dust cover with large DUCATI in white printed on it
  • Dual set of cans (street legal and race/carbon)
  • 2 X EPROMS matching the cans
  • Rear stand in same colour as the frame
Air ducts: Plastic
Front fender: Carbon
Chain guard: Carbon
Air box: Carbon
Front cover around oil cooler/radiator: Carbon

· Registered
1,856 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks guys. One other question about the VIN. Is it correct the 996 SPS imported into the US had the VIN starting with ZDM3SB and for the rest of the world it was ZDM3H9?

· Registered
1,856 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Yes, You are correct.

And also, there is no such thing as a 2001 996 SPS.
In 2001 there was 996S and 996R.
996 SPS was only produced MY 1999 and 2000.
Yes you are correct but I believe the left over bikes from 2000 were imported into the US in 2001 as well, at least according to things I have read on the all knowing internet.

· Premium Member
8,039 Posts
Am fairly certain that all of the 916 derivatives with the CFRP airbox had the Kyalami frame. That would include all of the shower injector equipped homologation bikes.

· Premium Member
8,039 Posts
Thanks guys. One other question about the VIN. Is it correct the 996 SPS imported into the US had the VIN starting with ZDM3SB and for the rest of the world it was ZDM3H9?
I believe the VIN for the "rest of the world" is 17 characters in length and begins with ZDMH3... My R is an imported Euro model and the VIN begins with that sequence.

· Registered
1,856 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I believe the VIN for the "rest of the world" is 17 characters in length and begins with ZDMH3... My R is an imported Euro model and the VIN begins with that sequence.
Thank you Prophet. This would explain why the speedo is in KPH and perhaps the red plastic front mudguard though it seems people are saying it should have a carbon one.

Yet another question, I read somewhere on this site that the stator and clutch cover is supposed to be a "green" color? Can anyone confirm?

· Registered
43 Posts
post #32 2000 996SPS production numbers

I happen to have a 2001 996 SPS... titled as an '01 and confirmed by DNA as an '01.

However by VIN, mine is a Homologation model, by the "H" designation and not "SB" in the VIN sequence. I'm kinda interested to know if there is any difference. It was brought to my attention by a fellow SoCal rider who also owns a '00 996 SPS, His VIN Code stated "SB" in the sequence.

· Flying Brit
1,484 Posts
post #32 2000 996SPS production numbers

I happen to have a 2001 996 SPS... titled as an '01 and confirmed by DNA as an '01.

However by VIN, mine is a Homologation model, by the "H" designation and not "SB" in the VIN sequence. I'm kinda interested to know if there is any difference. It was brought to my attention by a fellow SoCal rider who also owns a '00 996 SPS, His VIN Code stated "SB" in the sequence.
I'd heard via MotoCorse Performance that they had seen an 01 996SPS and frame was different to 00, wondering if it was yours or maybe another.

· Registered
1,856 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I'd heard via MotoCorse Performance that they had seen an 01 996SPS and frame was different to 00, wondering if it was yours or maybe another.
I wonder if this is because in 2001 the US got the leftover rest of world bikes which had the different VIN (ZDM3H...)? Prior to that US got models specific for that market and those had VINs starting with ZDM3SB...

1 - 20 of 31 Posts