Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I am looking into buying a 2001 996 and I found one a few days ago on the local craigslist.
I went over the bike yesterday and here some of the things that stood out:

- bike starts up fine. I am yet to take it out on a test ride
- forks seals look good
- No service history
- The seller mentioned that new belts were installed by him
- 5600 miles (how is that possible? :surprise: )
- Leak on the alternator cover side
- Needs new tires

While I am fairly comfortable working on the 2V bikes, 4V are new to me. Anything else
I should be looking out for?

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
5,679 Posts
At that mileage, the first service that includes a valve adjustment isn't even due yet. What service records are you after? Maybe the break-in service, an oil change at 3K? 2001 model year had a clutch slave recall. Be sure that was done if your VIN falls in to the range. If it looks like a clean, non-abused bike that wasn't stripped of its street gear (speedo and odometer) for track use, it is probably fine. That mileage on a 2001 in 2019 would mean to me that it would come into my possession and be stripped down for a thorough 6K service. It's due anyway.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Thanks!

The owner mentioned that he took it to a few track days. I will check with him if he has any records of the previous minor services. From what you are saying, it looks like I shouldn't really sweat it over them.

Are "flaking rockers" common on these bikes as well?

From what I could gather, I should be ready for new tires, valve adjustments and regular fluid changes over the next few months.
I think the valve adjustments alone should be around 1k-1.2k here.

·
Registered
177 Posts
How much is he asking?

Two year service schedule at a minimum would mean belts as mentioned, new fuel lines, fuel filter, coolant, brake fluid, clutch fluid, fork oil. You can do all of that at home and save $$. Belts aren't hard, use the Gates Carbon Drive app to measure tension frequency.
Then ride it for the rest of the season, maybe put 500 miles on it, before checking the valves over winter. LT Snyder's 4V manual and Haynes are good investments.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I bought a 2001 996 with 10,000 miles and when I took it in for service it had 13 flaked rockers. Estimated cost for repairs was only slightly less than I paid for it a few months earlier. I ended up doing the work myself. Its a definite risk to consider when buying a 996 of that year.

Reactions: abhiram

·
Premium Member
5,151 Posts
Ask the seller to remove the fairings amp lift the tail. It will show two things. If the plastic has been repaired or replaced with Chinese stuff and it will give you a better idea if the 5600 is lagit. At that miles it should look new. Water pump cover and bent radiator are common signs. Check the handlebar to top clamp pins are not squished. Lift the end of the grips for bar damage. Gear and brake pedals and peg, gap between tank and bars when at full lock should be the same. If it has an open clutch the look at the condition of the plates and basket. Just some of the things that give archeological assessment of the machine. Rockers?? Just like a new bike you take your chances.

·
Registered
253 Posts
I’d ask what brand belts he replaced, if he replaced the lock washers for the tensioner nuts, and how he set belt tension. That should give you a fairly good idea on his skill level. How about oil change? What was found on the oil pump strainer screen? That will also give a good indication of the rockers if there are bits of chrome flake.

I did a valve adjustment on my 99 996s at 6k and pulled the cams to fully inspect the rockers. I had no issues whatsoever on the rockers but did have a few valves out (bought an EMS Duc shim kit).

The miles are low... I would expect near perfection. If I were to sell mine with ~7,500 miles would want top $$ as condition matches. Is this one priced the same way, or is it beat up? It’s hard to keep a bike in near mint condition after nearly 20 years.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks folks for the detailed responses. The seller is asking 4500 for it.

Cosmetically, the bike is in decent shape. There are a few scuffs on the right panel. And It looked liked
it was exposed to to some rough weather. I noticed bits of rust in a few places.

Based on what you all are saying, I should be prepared to spend a decent amount of time going over the bike or taking it
to a shop and drop a good bit of money on it. Both are fine.

The seller mentioned using an app to tension the belts as well.

Cheers!

·
Premium Member
22 Posts
$4500 is a pretty good price, what shock does it have? What mods? New coolant tank? hoses? For sure see if there’s a receipt for the last belt change, the other posts have some really, really good advice? Love the color and it looks sweet from a distance.

·
Registered
1,499 Posts
Hi all,

I am looking into buying a 2001 996 and I found one a few days ago on the local craigslist.
I went over the bike yesterday and here some of the things that stood out:

- bike starts up fine. I am yet to take it out on a test ride
- forks seals look good
- No service history
- The seller mentioned that new belts were installed by him
- 5600 miles (how is that possible? :surprise: )
- Leak on the alternator cover side
- Needs new tires

While I am fairly comfortable working on the 2V bikes, 4V are new to me. Anything else
I should be looking out for?

Thanks!
First off, I bought my 996 for the same money down in Santa Clara. Of the things you list, none are a deal breaker to me. That said, the leak on the alternator cover side is a sign. Mine leaked the same. Turned out the chain had derailed at some point in the bike's history and smashed the alternator cover.

As a result, it cracked as could be expected. In my case though, it did not crack at the point of impact but farther forward and above the shift shaft. It looked like the oil just appeared out of nowhere when it started to leak. Which was not until the engine got up to working temperature.

5600 miles is quite low for the year but I've found that to not be uncommon with Ducati models as a whole. High mileage examples are actually less common. As to the rust, I'm guessing from the location that the bike spent its life in Bay Area. Also, frequent washing will result in corrosion in places where the wash water does not drain off immediately.

I'd follow the previous recommendation for full service and going through the bike end to end should you commit to buy....sean

1 - 13 of 13 Posts