Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
'00 748s,
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
hello all
I've got a line on a 748s as listed in the title, it has highish miles at 24k, no real service records but has been looked at by the local dealer at some point in the past three years, body is a nice 10 footer, some evidence of track use and a possible drop in the past. would need tires, belts a good going over at the least. I can do most of the work myself. I'm thinking it is not worth much more than parts value as it sits since I have no idea of what is hidden. hoping to get some opinions. Not my first bike or Ducati just want something to kick around without worrying about that much.
I don't own it so your opinions won't hurt my feelings, any thoughts are appreciated.
thanks
-mjn

·
Premium Member
4,008 Posts
Hard to say its value without looking at it, as always details can be very important. For a rough example i would expect $2000-3000 depending on whats bad. If in decent (average shape) add another $1000-2000. If it has record of a recent service and needs nothing you pay more but will probably save money over one that needs tires,belts,tune. As I mentioned details matter.

I know of a 748E that has a salvage title that I would recommend over a other bike because I know the owner and how the bike was maintained (improved vs degraded). On first glance the salvage titled bottom of the range bike wold NOT be the bike many would want but as a mechanic I know that I could buy it and not need to do anything but ride it. Some would call a salvage title a deal breaker but a parking lot tip over is capable to totaling many bikes cosmetically, again details.

If you are not familiar with the bike getting it to a pro that knows the bike (mechanic or Ducati fanboy) to take a close look and see if you can figure out some of those details before you buy. I have had customers buy bikes that were "cheap" until they were fixed back to average condition and by then they were often more than if they simply bought a more expensive good one in the first place. This does not factor in the fun factor of building a bike and if that's what you want then go for it.

We also are getting to the point prices are rising on these bikes which will mean good ones will be more and poor ones will soon cost what you used to pay for a good one. Yes someone will gladly tell you they paid $500 for one so any money more than that and you are a failure as a human or just not as smart as they were. Deals do happen but on average I see most "deals" cost more in the end in money,time and aggravation. All your choice in the end.

·
Registered
2,233 Posts
i have a 748 in at the moment for a 40,000km service. big service, 5 opening rockers, 1 s/h cam, air filters, chain sliders, steering head bearings, front wheel bearings, tyres, rear pads. it'll be over 4k by the time it's done. probably not worth a whole lot more than that. see a fair bit of that these days.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I just bought a 97 748 with 10,00 miles that had a clean title, complete service including belts and valve adjustment for $1500 if that helps.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
'00 748s,
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ducvet, I kinda agree. I used to be much more into classic cars (before kids) and whenever anyone would ask I would always say buy the nicest one you can, a bargain rarely stays that way.
My wife actually has her 748s mono that she bought new in a corner of the garage but it 1) isn't mine, 2)only has maybe 1,000 miles 3) hasn't been started in over a decade 4) would probably cost more to get going than I can get this one for. so that is a non-starter
Belter, its unfortunate but these bikes are at that odd point in their lifecycle, they are not really collectible for the most part and service is equal or greater than the total worth. its hard to spend $4,000 on service for a bike that books at $4500 ever harder to buy a bike not knowing how much oof that $4000 it will need.
Chris, it sounds like you got a great deal, I think if I pull the trigger on this one I will be lucky to be on the road for a bit under $5000, $4000 if I do all services myself. and at the end of the day it will still be a 24k mile 10 footer.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I did get a hell of a deal. I got lucky and found it on Craigslist. Normally I stay away from there but took a chance and ended up with a great bike. I have put 3,000 miles and it and haven’t had any issues so far.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

1 - 9 of 9 Posts