Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
390 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guy's

I saw a 2001 748R advertised on ebay the other day with a BIN of about $9300 and it got me thinking about the current cost of some of the "special" builds... What's something like this worth these days? This particular bike had full carbon bodywork and tank, upgraded rims and about 3800 miles.

·
Mayor of Simpleton
4,881 Posts
That bike has a lot of extras on it and with them it's probably worth close to that. The owner and the ad itself are idiotic though. Ryan Ramsey and I were having a good laugh over it.

·
Mayor of Simpleton
4,881 Posts
Ryan is the President of IDesmo and owns a 748R himself, as well as a 916SPS. He posts on this site as rramseyr.

Here is the text from the 2nd relisting below, with my comments in red. There are so many errors, it's absurd.

Like I said, it's a nice bike and to the right buyer the value isn't terribly far off, but I wouldn't take anything this guy says as the gospel.

WOW SUPER RARE BARN FIND!

I was doing architectural work on a customers house and he knew I liked bikes so he asked if I wanted to take and old bike in his barn as a trade toward work on his property. I said sure, and went to look at it. I'm no Ducati expert [Clearly], but it really looked just like an old dusty black bike in the dim light with two huge exhaust pipes sticking out the back. Well we went back and forth about the price and finally settled for a lot more than I expected. He said it was rare but I only thought it was sellers talk... [Kinda like this ad] Boy he was right!

Its a 2001 748R with full Carbon Fiber body work. 1 of only 70 imported into US! and probably the only one with this rare carbon fiber body work [No, none were shipped with cf fairings, so what happened to the original stuff that would actually make this bike somewhat collectible?]. Ultra low miles of just 3850! The bike and specifically the motor were set up by Ferrachi [Who?] as the motor came in crate and had to be installed here in the US for Homologation [No]. No stock 748 has these Titanium valves and Titanium connecting rods [You think this idiot has verified Ti valves?]. The high lift cams and high compression can be heard even at idle, as each piston thump blows your hair back when you stand behind the full race Termignonis. See the attached videos for the full sound experience and see the Carbon gleam in the sunlight. Other unique items are a light frame section and carbon air box [All standard]. The Ohlins are race spec and have been just gone through three rounds of full set up by a renowned Ohlins expert [Who wants to bet that, at best, they have merely been "refreshed" and are absolutely not "race spec"?]. This bike changes direction just by thinking about it! [No] The combination of ultra light Marcesini [Who?]wheels with low gyro effect are amazing.

These bikes were purely made as Homologation specials to allow the high spec bikes to compete in world Supersport racing. This 2001 is the most sought after[Not really], as its has the high spec Ohlins and is the only 748 with 4 caliper brake pads. The price was $24,995.00!! to have the priveledge of using this bike to dominate the 600cc class [It didn't] or be the only one at any rally to have this unique bike.

This bike was the highest spec Ducati at the time. Higher than the 996SPS and the 996R. [No]

As to the specifics of this bike: Engraved plate on triple clamps indicates this is one of the last (#834) that has more fully developed fuel injection mapping. The carbon body work is so light I picked up the entire set and could balance it on one finger! The Ohlins have a full tune on them and the bike turns and carves as only a race bike can. I have had a full service done by Nick Rockwell famous Ducati 748 expert [Never heard of him]. Oil change and a completely new set of timing belts just for security. ($750.00!!)This bike is in perfect tune: starts without even a choke and revs like crazy to over 10,000 RPM. It has no known mechanical issues and really is an almost new bike. Just about the right mileage to keep it from running properly. You really would not want any less on a 10 year old bike. [Hmmm, the bike is both "new" and just used enough.]

Known issues are a brown stain on the gas tank left side and fairing. They are about 3" x 2" and can probably be buffed out. Looks like a gas spill only. There is bubble in the paint on the rear wheel from a clumsy tire change no doubt. As with most of the true carbon fiber tanks, this one weeps gas around the fuel tap. Usually all it takes is to turn the tank upside down and let super glue run into the crack to fix this [Yeah, that's a good solution.]. It could use a set of mirrors and turn signals. But if you use it as intended you won't need them anyway...

I really am amazed how sorted this bike is for such a special one produced to for racing. I have the title in hand and am ready to sell ASAP. It is fully street legal unlike a 748RS which is not, so it can be used for any motorcycling activity you can think of. I really am an Aprilia guy but this bike is extremely impressive I must say.Wherever I ride it people gather to gawk and ask questions [Of someone largely incapable of anwering any ofthem correctly]. People hear the race spec Termignonis coming and usually an entire block of people turn around to look at this cool Italian work of art breeze by.

·
Registered
390 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yep...You tagged all the spots I thought you would!

Just courious as if these things were worth this kind of money...

·
Mayor of Simpleton
4,881 Posts
Yep...You tagged all the spots I thought you would!
So why did you ask what was so idiotic about the ad?

It's probably worth $7k if stock and clean, but finding OEM 2002 748R fairings (or even painting these) would cost more than those used CF panels are worth, so that's bit of a negative value. If he has reciepts for all the work claimed (the Ferracci work, recent service, and the suspension "upgrade"), it may add a bit back. The wheels are nice and CF tank is probably fixable (not with superglue), but without the originals, I estimate about $8k.

·
Mayor of Simpleton
4,881 Posts
Oof
$7k is reasonable enough to at least look. $9k plus is crazy, thats getting into real collector bike territory
$9300 would be a very good deal if it had all the original bits plus the carbon fiber body and forged Marchesini's, not instead of.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Ryan is the President of IDesmo and owns a 748R himself, as well as a 916SPS. He posts on this site as rramseyr.

Here is the text from the 2nd relisting below, with my comments in red. There are so many errors, it's absurd.

Like I said, it's a nice bike and to the right buyer the value isn't terribly far off, but I wouldn't take anything this guy says as the gospel.

WOW SUPER RARE BARN FIND!

I was doing architectural work on a customers house and he knew I liked bikes so he asked if I wanted to take and old bike in his barn as a trade toward work on his property. I said sure, and went to look at it. I'm no Ducati expert [Clearly], but it really looked just like an old dusty black bike in the dim light with two huge exhaust pipes sticking out the back. Well we went back and forth about the price and finally settled for a lot more than I expected. He said it was rare but I only thought it was sellers talk... [Kinda like this ad] Boy he was right!

Its a 2001 748R with full Carbon Fiber body work. 1 of only 70 imported into US! and probably the only one with this rare carbon fiber body work [No, none were shipped with cf fairings, so what happened to the original stuff that would actually make this bike somewhat collectible?]. Ultra low miles of just 3850! The bike and specifically the motor were set up by Ferrachi [Who?] as the motor came in crate and had to be installed here in the US for Homologation [No]. No stock 748 has these Titanium valves and Titanium connecting rods [You think this idiot has verified Ti valves?]. The high lift cams and high compression can be heard even at idle, as each piston thump blows your hair back when you stand behind the full race Termignonis. See the attached videos for the full sound experience and see the Carbon gleam in the sunlight. Other unique items are a light frame section and carbon air box [All standard]. The Ohlins are race spec and have been just gone through three rounds of full set up by a renowned Ohlins expert [Who wants to bet that, at best, they have merely been "refreshed" and are absolutely not "race spec"?]. This bike changes direction just by thinking about it! [No] The combination of ultra light Marcesini [Who?]wheels with low gyro effect are amazing.

These bikes were purely made as Homologation specials to allow the high spec bikes to compete in world Supersport racing. This 2001 is the most sought after[Not really], as its has the high spec Ohlins and is the only 748 with 4 caliper brake pads. The price was $24,995.00!! to have the priveledge of using this bike to dominate the 600cc class [It didn't] or be the only one at any rally to have this unique bike.

This bike was the highest spec Ducati at the time. Higher than the 996SPS and the 996R. [No]

As to the specifics of this bike: Engraved plate on triple clamps indicates this is one of the last (#834) that has more fully developed fuel injection mapping. The carbon body work is so light I picked up the entire set and could balance it on one finger! The Ohlins have a full tune on them and the bike turns and carves as only a race bike can. I have had a full service done by Nick Rockwell famous Ducati 748 expert [Never heard of him]. Oil change and a completely new set of timing belts just for security. ($750.00!!)This bike is in perfect tune: starts without even a choke and revs like crazy to over 10,000 RPM. It has no known mechanical issues and really is an almost new bike. Just about the right mileage to keep it from running properly. You really would not want any less on a 10 year old bike. [Hmmm, the bike is both "new" and just used enough.]

Known issues are a brown stain on the gas tank left side and fairing. They are about 3" x 2" and can probably be buffed out. Looks like a gas spill only. There is bubble in the paint on the rear wheel from a clumsy tire change no doubt. As with most of the true carbon fiber tanks, this one weeps gas around the fuel tap. Usually all it takes is to turn the tank upside down and let super glue run into the crack to fix this [Yeah, that's a good solution.]. It could use a set of mirrors and turn signals. But if you use it as intended you won't need them anyway...

I really am amazed how sorted this bike is for such a special one produced to for racing. I have the title in hand and am ready to sell ASAP. It is fully street legal unlike a 748RS which is not, so it can be used for any motorcycling activity you can think of. I really am an Aprilia guy but this bike is extremely impressive I must say.Wherever I ride it people gather to gawk and ask questions [Of someone largely incapable of anwering any ofthem correctly]. People hear the race spec Termignonis coming and usually an entire block of people turn around to look at this cool Italian work of art breeze by.

It isn't a great ad, but I've seen much worse. Most were minor spelling errors and embellishments. I ran spell check on my post just to make sure I'm not badged an idiot :)

·
Registered
390 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
So why did you ask what was so idiotic about the ad?
I caught the discrepancies but didn't think the seller came accross as idiotic.. just maybe a little mis-informed... Which kinda makes sense to me if he's not a "Ducati guy" ...That's why I asked...Nothing more.

Thanks for the info... As I said the posting got me courious what the value of some of the older "Special builds" (R's/SPS's/ect..) are these days.

·
Mayor of Simpleton
4,881 Posts
Lets throw this out there since we are on the subject....What would be the more saught after bikes of that series? R, SPS, model years, ? I was looking towards an SPS next for my collection
The 916SP, 916/996SPS, 996R, and 998R are all more desireable. The Senna may technically be more valuable, but definitely not a superior bike in my opinion. US spec Bostrom and Bayliss model are similar, but a closer argument. RS bikes are tricky to evaluate. They are cool, but with part scarcity and usability issues, I would probably rather have the 748R. Maybe a personal ranking list is in order (just considering US versions);

996R/998R
916SPS/996SPS
916SP
996RS
748R
916 Senna
996S/998S Bostrom/Bayliss/FE
748SPS
998S
996S
748RS

·
Registered
77 Posts
Any of the SPS, SPA, R or RS bikes are going to be cooler and worth more than stock. But the more Ti in the motor the more maintenance it needs and might not have gotten.

·
Mayor of Simpleton
4,881 Posts
Excluding the RS, the big bore bikes with Ti rods aren't that problematic. They make loads of midrange and aren't that stressed by high revs unless they've been used as race bikes. None of the street bikes came stock with Ti valves.

·
Premium Member
5,509 Posts
Lets throw this out there since we are on the subject....
What would be the more saught after bikes of that series? R, SPS, model years, ?
I was looking towards an SPS next for my collection
I think it would depend on model year, condition, desirability, etc., but if I had to guess I would say that the 97 916SPS would probably be at the top of the list as there were only 404 sold worldwide, if we assume Ian Faloon's data is correct. For 98 there were 1058 made, of which 100 were sold into the US. That same year there were also 202 Carl Fogarty replica's made which apparently were sold into the UK.

As far as the 748R's are concerned, again, if Faloon's data is correct, there were 70 sold into the US in 2000, 100 in '01 and finally 15 in '02.

In terms of availability, the '02 748R would be the most rare (I can attest to this...) but in terms of desirability, I would guess that the a '97 916SPS or a '98 SPS Fogarty replica would top the list. If we expand the search filter a bit, and include the 996R and the 998R then this gets even more interesting as there were only 60 US 996R's in '01, and 50 US 998R's in '02.

·
Registered
1,563 Posts
2001 748R Sales Price

For what its worth, I sold my pristine 748R with 2400 original miles, PVM magnesium wheels, Termi full exhaust system and copius CF bits for $8500 in 2009.

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
I've got someone trying to sell me that bike right now! :D

Hi Todd,
Here is the VIN ZDM3H74R61B007357 and I also attach the photos. Right now I am at the military base getting ready for Afghanistan. This means that I am doing a special training and I am not allowed to get out of the unit. The bike is already at the shipping company in Topeka KS sealed and ready for the shipping. My presence won't be necessary because I prearranged the deal with Amazon. The deal includes free delivery and it will arrive at your address in 3 days. You will have 5 days to test it and inspect the bike prior to making any purchase and if by any reason you find something you don't like about it you can send it back at my expense.
If you are interested in knowing more info about how it works, i can ask Amazon to send you an email with more information on how to purchase it. Amazon will contact you shortly after they have the details with all the information that you need to complete this deal and you will also have proof that I am covered by them and a legitimate seller. If you would like to receive the email from Amazon will all the transaction information please reply with your full name and ph# and they will contact you right away.

Regards
A quick google Search of that VIN Brings to to Here http://localcarsale.net/motorcycle....0438336?pt=US_motorcycles&hash=item2ebda897c0

Earlier in an email this person references her(?) Air Force Platoon:roll eyes:

Scamola!
t_bare

1 - 20 of 35 Posts