Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,042 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
$2000 MOD money!!!

I have a CLEAN 95 SS/SP. Runs like a champ with the old Mikuni carbs.
Had a recent 12K service by a great tech, so that's up to date with a new Battery.

Where should the 2k go?

I'm thinking FCR41s/944 Kit sometime this winter. I know it's pricey and I'll get the crank lightnened and balanced while I'm in there. Maybe basic head work.

Should I save up for the FCRs/944 (is it THAT big a difference??)?

OR improve some little things here and there.....

Such as:
-CRG lanesplitters (can't see!) 185
-Stainless steel braided brake and clutch lines (safety) 270
-Rearsets (lighter/look better) 350
-Sargent seat (my rear will thank me) 340

That puts me at about 1200....

Thoughts?
Paint is already great, and original.
Just want to improve on an already awesome road bike, and suspension suits me fine for now.

Let me know what YOU would do to a clean and STOCK SS/SP
Thanks!

·
Premium Member
3,042 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I've done much of what you suggest and for $2K I think I'd try a pair of CF wheels. Especially if the bike is running well as is.
If I could find period-correct Marvic two-piece wheels from a Superlight....I'd be on it. I'm trying to keep the mid-90s look but all while updating little bits and pieces.

I hear lighter wheels are a MAJOR improvement

·
Registered
16,908 Posts
I like light weight wheels on my bikes.
I'm using OZ wheels on a lot of my personal project bikes now:

OZ Motorbike Forged Alum Wheelset: 900SS 93-98, 851-888, Mon -01

These weigh about what the old 5 spoke magnesium wheels used to weigh. They are a lot stronger and corrosion resistant than the mag wheels.

They are on sale right now and currently under your $2000 budget. They will transform your bikes overall performance as well as looks.

·
Registered
1,269 Posts
I think the wheels are great, but you can also fiddle with the suspension. It is said that you will think that your suspension is just fine until you make a positive change. Then you will realize that you were riding on poo-poo all these years. I'm assuming that you've at least done the sag settings, but I'm sure those forks and shock can use a freshening up after all these years. If it's not set up for your bodyweight, then a stiffer/lighter set of springs can also go a long way. Contact Rick at Cogent.

I think that gearing is also another huge upgrade that you will notice.

·
Premium Member
731 Posts
1. Suspension
2. Saddle, windscreen, heated grips
3. Exhaust
4. Wheels
5. Brakes/Brake lines, clip ons, masters (depending on model and needs)
5. Engine

not a hardened order, just some guidance based upon needs and experiences

·
Registered
1,395 Posts
Front suspension first then wheels, Carrozzeria.

·
Registered
1,395 Posts
FCR's, lightend crank and head work will put you way over $2000. Unless you are doing it all yourself. I'll sell you my stage II Mikunis for $200 plus shipping. Don't split your cases unless your crank plug is bad.

·
Premium Member
3,042 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks guys!

I'm thinking of making slight improvements in
1 seeing behind me
2 being able to stop better
3 being more comfy

OR

I could just save and buy some wheels (more than $2k) and do some suspension work

OR

I could save and go FCR/944/crankwork. ( I know it's super expensive)
I hear FCRs REALLY make a HUGE difference in rideability.

·
Registered
16,908 Posts
Thanks guys!

I'm thinking of making slight improvements in
1 seeing behind me
2 being able to stop better
3 being more comfy

(1) SEEING Behind you:
I use the little CRG Blindsight Mirror they are small and hardly noticeable--but I can pick out cops behind me no problem

(2) The sky's the limit on BRAKE mods--just like engine mods. However good pads like the FERODO "ST" Sintered Brake Pads: 1 Pin go a long way. I swapped out the master cylinders with BREMBO GP Forged Radial Brake Master Cylinder. These gave me a nice easy progressive 2 finger pull.
If I was to do it again, I would get the BREMBO "RCS" Forged Radial Brake Master Cylinder . It has folding levers, an adjustable lever ratio, integrated brake microswitch and an available matching clutch master cylinder.

I installed BREMBO 7850 Series "4 Pad" Cast Caliper: 65mm Axial and a ABM iron rotors. If I was going to do it again, I'd use the thinner BRAKETECH "AXIS" Iron Front Rotor for less rolling restance. The brakes are incredible though. They are better than the original brakes on my 999R.

(2) COMFORT: I've used the SARGENT "World Sport" Seat: 750/900 SS/CR '91-98 on my other bikes. They are wellmade, light and very comfortable for most people.

I installed adjustable bar risers by Cycle Cat on my SS. They are no longer made but be making a comeback.

·
Registered
16,908 Posts
I could save and go FCR/944/crankwork. ( I know it's super expensive)
I hear FCRs REALLY make a HUGE difference in rideability.
I did the motor last because I wanted to have good brakes, suspension, light wheels and all the other mods on the bike before I built up the motor. The SS FE motor has dual plug heads, FCRs, cams, hi-comp 944 pistons...It is a lot of fun but I like it a lot more because of all the supporting mods.

I ended up adding a steering damper to the otherwise very stable bike because the front wheel can get very light...

·
Premium Member
3,042 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
NICE!!

I like the 1 inchers.

I also like that Header....really nice. I bet that goes well with the motor work.

I'll get to brake masters and pads when necessary.

If anyone has a bead on period-correct light Marvic 2 piece wheels, let me know!!
I'm trying to keep the mid 90s look close.

·
Registered
350 Posts
1) Brake lines and fresh pads. Safety first!
2) Seat. Doesn't matter if you make it the fastest 900SS ever. If you aren't cumfy, you won't like it or want to ride it.
3) Dyna coils. It will improve your starting.
4) suspension. Race tech valves and springs for the forks. Keep an eye on eBay for a shock.
5) Take a riding school !!!!!
6) Wheels. It will really improve the handling.
7) Then engine stuff.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts