Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've used the ol search thing, and read some good stuff, but it seems to be pretty dated for Magnecor HT leads. I have searched the web for suppliers, but not turning up anything. Found some listings for the 2794 (KV85) part numbers, but they are WAY expensive. Looked at Magnecor's website and they list them as $177 and some change. Seriously? $177 for two plug wires? I read on here that the 2528 part number works, and Magnecor lists them as $39. This is quite the difference, which has me confused...thoughts?

Since I have used Magnecor HT leads on cars and motorcycles, I am obviously sold on them, but what part number should I be looking for the ST4 916?

·
Premium Member
5,682 Posts
The 27XX number will be for the 7MM wire, not the KV85. KV85 wires will be a 25XX number

Not sure why the 2594 PN that costs so much came from... That price is nuts! 99.99% sure I have the 2528 on my ST4s. Still pricey but I have been lucky to find these on eBay, normally eBay UK, for a decent price. There is a set on eBay UK now, but still going to be around $100 with shipping.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Magnecor-KV85-Ignition-HT-Leads-wire-cable-Ducati-ST4-996cc-Desmoquattro-2001-04/132097243627?epid=522719853&hash=item1ec19bf9eb:g:aqoAAOSw3v5YpFUD

That's much more than I've snagged them for, but like I said, I searched for a while until I found a good deal.

·
Mr Leakered
8,938 Posts
I bought the TPO Dragon wires (8mm MSD) for $40 when the Manecors were around $70. I'm thinking it is time to swap them again and was shocked to see the price increase. Bellissimoto took over TPO when they closed up shop and still sell the wires for $40.

Have a good one.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
SS904, thank you for the input. I had seen those from that EBay seller, and unfortunately, that was the best deal I have come across. This is from Magnecor's website for the 99-05 ST4:

2094 (7mm) $180.40
2794 (8mm) $177.10
2594 (KV85 8.5mm) $248.60

I have searched all of my go to places for great deals, but turns up nuthin. The set of Magnecor's I installed on my Aprillia were only 60 bucks, and there were four of them. I sent an email to Magnecor today asking if it was a mistake, I'll post up their response.

Tonered, I checked out the Bellissimoto site, they listed them for the 996, but nothing specific for the ST4 916...same? And still $39.99, but a 4-6 week lead time.

Hopefully I am not beating a dead horse here.... :|

·
Mr Leakered
8,938 Posts
Not a dead horse, IMO.

This is the page that I am seeing:
https://www.bellissimoto.com/parts/...or-ducati-st4-supersport-750-supersport-900ie

Nothing about the 996. That said, the first gen ST4 and ST4s should used the same plug wires.

The lead time is probably some default for parts that are not on the shelf? The wires would most likely be fabbed on order. I'd bet that we would get them in a week?

I would just ping bellissimoto and confirm both the fit and delivery time.

·
Premium Member
5,682 Posts
Good price for the TPO wires. MSD wire should be very similar to the Magnecor spiral wound suppression stuff.

Must be a made-to-fit thing. The linked add lists SSie and the ST4 in the same sentence, giving the impression they are the same part (at least to me). I can tell you from having owned both configs, the two bikes would definitely not share the same wires. Wire length and boots are very different.

Given the price and the known quality of MSD wire, I'd go for those if you can wait for them.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I have also used MSD ignition components in the past (on cars, not motorcycles though), very good stuff. I did get a reply back this am from Magnecor, he did say that their pricing is a misprint, and hopes to have current pricing listed in the next day or two...we'll see. I will update as soon as I hear back.

·
Registered
454 Posts
www.ebay.co.uk/itm/8mm-Red-Double-Silicone-Carbon-Ignition-HT-lead-wire-on-roll-sold-per-Meter/190984640326?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649[/url]

Have used these on numerous bikes and cars and had no issues. On the ST I swapped the original rubber covers over.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Welp, no change in pricing on their website or follow up from Magnecor other than the original reply I received from them....too bad since I was really looking forward to installing them on this ST4. I sent an email to Bellissimoto to confirm fitment, and got a reply right back. Fitment was confirmed, and a nice recommendation for about $1500 more in upgrades like slipper clutch, Heli bars (already have a new set sitting aside whilst I decide if I like the stock bars), and a custom air intake....now wouldn't hat be nice :grin2:

I ordered up a set from them to the tune of $48 and some change shipped. We'll see how long it takes to get them, and I'll update. I know that MSD makes fantastic ignition components, hopefully the assembly/crimping quality matches the component quality.

In the meantime, this past weekend I installed the new chain and sprockets, oil change with Amsoil 15/40, and a K&N air filter. I'll install the new cam belts in a couple weeks when I get another free Saturday afternoon. Until then, I'll keep checking my mail box for a shiny new set of HT leads.

Thanks for all the tips and recommendations :wink2:

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Ok, here is an update for all those playing along......

I received two emails yesterday, one from Bellissimoto, the other from Magnecor. First the bad news from Bellissimoto:
"Apologies, but the Spark Plug Kit is not available at this time and there is no ETA on it. I have canceled your order and refunded you."

Now for the good news(?) from Magnecor:
"Sorry for the delay, the problem is the exclusive spark plug connector from only one source in Europe.

The price is $144.86 plus $13.63 priority mail.
Should you want to order the set, please advise with your ship-to-address.

We can email you a Magnecor/Paypal invoice which you can pay with your credit card (or Paypal)."

Soooooo, looks like a substantial price drop from Magnecor, about $104. However, this still keeps them at a very high price. I went back to the EBay seller in the UK, and revisited that idea. Problem is that the listing is only for the ST4S with the 996 motor. I was willing and about to pay for the kit from the UK at just over 100 bucks, but am hesitant because of the fitment listing as it seems to be all over the place. I guess I will drop them a message, stay tuned for an update.....
Are you sure this isnt beating a dead horse???

·
Premium Member
5,682 Posts
The ST4s 996 engine will be the same wires as the ST4 916 engine. No difference at all.

Reactions: tonered

·
Mr Leakered
8,938 Posts
That sucks. I was going to order at Bellissimoto since I am close to a valve check.

Yeah. That Magnecor price still isn't in the ballpark. What does the Magnecor connector look like? I'm assuming that the special one is on the spark plug side? If it looks like the Duc one, then I can see the issue.

My TPO wires came with the spark plug side connector that you see below. It works just fine, actually better than the Duc one since it completely seals the hole for the horizontal plug. With it, there is no water or grime in there when I pull the plug.

Have a good one.

Attachments

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
Ok Gents, here is an update with my quest for performance HT leads......you know, because I wanted to kick this poor horse once more :grin2:

After Magnecor US being too high priced, Bellisimoto not making the MSD leads anymore, and only one EBay seller that had a set but had a different part number (of which I contacted them, and it turns out Magnecor UK uses different part numbers from the US branch). I contacted Magnecor UK and asked about fitment, but didnt hear back from them, so I sort of side tracked the idea til a later day.

Well, 4 weeks later Magnecor UK emailed me back with much apologies for the delay, and confirmed the part number 2528 to fit the 916 ST4 (I know some of you had already mentioned that the 916 and 996 variants would interchange), even though they list it as a 2001-2004 ST4S. After a couple of emails back and forth, I had a shiny new set of KV-85 leads on the way to me from the UK. Magnecor UK lists them in their catalog at 40.67 lbs (basically $55), and it was 14.50 lbs to ship ($19). So, to wrap it up, I got a set of the highly elusive Magnecor leads for a total cost of $74, and from the order time to my door it was 6 days. I must give praise to Magnecor UK's friendly customer service and prompt shipping.

So for those still wanting Magnecor's, go here: Home : Magnecor part number is 2528 :wink2:

·
Mr Leakered
8,938 Posts
Thanks for the update. I might go that route.

What do the spark plug ends look like? The OE style or the ones that I attached above?

·
Registered
7,669 Posts
$74 for two spark plug wires and you are praising the seller ! Unfuckingbelievable.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
$74 for two spark plug wires and you are praising the seller ! Unfuckingbelievable.
Yup, in a day where customer service is almost non existent, when a company offers help and info in a kind way, I like to get the word out. And yeah, the price for two leads does sound a bit high at first ($54 for the leads, $20 for shipping), but you'll go through half a dozen sets of $20 budget wires before you even think about checking on the Magnecors. Now I am not a math wiz by any means, but the cost of the Magnecors dont sound too bad in comparison, plus the performance level is second to none. As I have stated before, I have been running them on a couple of cars, as well as a couple different motorcycles for years without a single issue.

So yeah, letting the rest of you all know a source to get them, and letting you all know that this is a company with great customer service. You are more than welcome to keep buying budget sets though, its your dime.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thanks for the update. I might go that route.

What do the spark plug ends look like? The OE style or the ones that I attached above?
They look very similar to the stock ones with 90* tops, coil ends are 90* elbows as well.

·
Mr Leakered
8,938 Posts
Thanks.

The TPO wires had the 90deg at the coil. That one is no big deal. The spark plug end style then jives with the reasoning that Magnecor USA gave you.

It is a bit unfortunate as my horizontal plugs would be all corroded with the stock style. They come out looking like new (like the vert plug) with the TPO style.

$74 is a great priced delivered considering the list price was almost $70 10yrs ago. I might have to bite the bullet.

Have a good one.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts