Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
‘07 ST3s
408 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have a chance at a 2000 ST4 .... being sold as a parts bike ( very reasonable price ) because it presents a pain in the a-- to get it registered .... all is on the up and up , just very complicated ( death of owner ) , I have looked at the bike and it is complete and everything is intact , no cracks in fairing etc. .... would it be worth while for me to pick it up and store as a source of spare parts for my '07 ST3s , or is it too much different to be much use .... thanks to all for their comments ....
Craig

·
Premium Member
5,656 Posts
My opinion? Depends on the bike. As a parts mule for your ST3? No. Too many major components are different. What are you left with that can cross? Wheels, swing arm, shock (not forks), some plastic, the tank, the seat. The frame, but if it's hard to register now, it will still be hard to register with your ST3 wrapped around it. Are these things you anticipate needing as spares?

Electronics, completely different except maybe some relays and the fuel pump assembly. Engine? Transmission and generator components, maybe.

Buy it and part it out? Watch eBay to see what actually sells and then decide how much stuff you want to store in your basement until you try to give it away here, and then wind up tossing it out. The good stuff will go fast. You'll be left with a pile of stuff no one wants or needs in the end.

Me? If the bike was salvageable as a project and future runner and it was possible with some work to get it legally registered, I'd go that route. Sell it once it road worthy and legal, or make it a hot rod for yourself to keep as a more sporty alternative to the ST3. The 4V engines are nice, the 916 being pretty rev happy and fun. Bare bones sport bike mode is easy to do with these things. That would depend on the asking price and condition, however.

·
Registered
‘07 ST3s
408 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
other than a major service and tires needed .... bike is ready to ride .... I started to investigate getting it registered but without help from seller pretty much impossible .... he just wants to make room and some easy/quick cash , as he inherited a barn full ..... I will bring it up at coffee meet this morning and get more opinions .... thanks for your response , wasn't sure what was interchangeable
Craig

1 - 3 of 3 Posts