Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need to remove my impeller to swap into new stator cover. The service manual I have states there is a circlip on the shaft to remove. I don't see one on mine. Did all years/models have them? How do I remove the impeller?
Thanks
Nick

·
Premium Member
5,656 Posts
I just had the cover off my single phase bike for some work, but didn't need to pull the impeller. Not much help with that, but I did take a pic and I can see the cir clip on mine. It also shows on the parts diagram for your 2000 ST2.

Wasn't stuck to your drain plug, was it?>:)

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply. Here is a pic of mine. I can't move the impeller shaft out. I'm afraid to hit it with a mallet, but I don't see any way around it. What a PIA.

Attachments

·
Registered
543 Posts
Thanks for the reply. Here is a pic of mine. I can't move the impeller shaft out. I'm afraid to hit it with a mallet, but I don't see any way around it. What a PIA.
That's odd. Push in on the impeller side, this to expose the circlip. The impeller is spring loaded on the other side of case. Don't lose the clip. Hopefully this works for you.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
543 Posts
That's odd. Push in on the impeller side, this to expose the circlip. The impeller is spring loaded on the other side of case. Don't lose the clip. Hopefully this works for you.

Might need another set of hands too.

·
Premium Member
5,656 Posts
I agree. Looking at your pic full size, I can almost make out a clip partially seated in that washer / spacer. Could be wrong, but I do think I see one there. It looks to be of of those clips that suck to remove, as in there are no ears to grab with a set of cir clip pliers.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I got the piece under some bright lights and sure enough there is a thin wire c-clip that doesn't have ears. As mentioned, I think I'll need another set of hands to push the impeller out so I can get a small screw driver or razor knife under it.

·
Premium Member
5,656 Posts
Cool!

I will mention care should be taken removing that clip. Not just against damaging the clip, but more important not scratching the shaft in the process. You have to pass that shaft through a seal as it is removed. You definitely do not want to damage that seal by dragging a burr through caused by digging that clip out, unless you like coolant in your oil!

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I had my son help me press down on the impeller giving me room to access the clip, which I was finally able to remove. Unfortunately, it flew off and I can't find it. Everything else came out. Once I track down a clip, I should be able to put the stator cover back on and then move on to a belt change. Thanks for the help fellas.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Unfortunately, it flew off and I can't find it.
In my line of work we call them Jesus clips; When they fly off into oblivion it's "oh Jesus where the hell did that go?!". Then it's off to the parts department and when you ask for the water pump Jesus clip the man knows exactly what your're talking about.
Keep on looking!
Been there, done that, many times.
Ride On
Dave

1 - 11 of 11 Posts