Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello again still having issues with my 2000 ST-4, fuel pump will not run put in a used pump installed long ago work a lot and my time with the bike is start and intermittent. The pump ran continuously a few months back when swapping under seat relays at some ones suggestion here. Testing the kick stand switch, starter solenoid by battery and off/on switch by throttle all are working properly and no fuel pump still.

Back on the road again for work for long time it seems and had to let bike sit till now, suspecting a bad replacement pump; plugged in the old corroded one and it tries to run when turning on the key, but the installed pump makes no no noise anymore and the relay has power and ground testing by from an older thread found on Ducati.MS posted below

"Derek"
Registered

Joined Nov 2, 2005
647 Posts
#3 · Jul 30, 2010

"Pin 86 of the relay should have 12V from the kill switch as long as the stand is up (orange/blue wire). The same supply at the kill switch also supplies the starter switch, so if the starter is functioning there is almost certainly 12V at pin 86. However as Paul points out, it does go through the big multipin connector to get there.
Forget your Fluke meter and check it with a test lamp with one wire connected to earth (battry -ve) and the other on pin 86. With the ignition on, the stand up and the kill switch on it should light up brightly. If not you've got a supply problem and the multipin connector would be a good place to start looking. If it does the problem is on the ground switching side with pin 85.
Pin 85 is connected to the ECU by a brown/white wire. For a few seconds after switch on it will be at ground level energising the relay and hence the pump to pressurise the fuel lines. Thereafter it will only be at ground when the engine is turning i.e. cranking or running.""

Now I have fuel running out of the aluminum pump housing nipples obviously something installed wrong any ideas help please?

Donnie

https://www.panamericaforums.com/

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Figured this cantankerous ST-4 out today with some extra time home for T/giving. I had a bad test light along with a faulty volt/ohm meter both throwing me curves, both are very old should have guessed that. Started from scratch and f/p relay is working getting power when key is on and cranking the replace pump is bad. Dealer the best place to buy a fuel pump assembly?

·
Super Moderator
5,666 Posts
Are you looking to replace the whose assembly or just the fuel pump. If just the pump, follow Dan's advice on this post:

I believe the Bosch fuel pump is only about $40 or so.

·
Administrator
13,478 Posts
Good lord, that is troubling that you were taking all the right steps and the tools suck.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yes tools was part of my troubles, also discovered the the new battery I bought a year went bad too lol. The bike had been sitting in my damp basement since the June 2012,hence the rusted out pump and tank, and with my travel job demands only could muster an hour or so every 2-4 months. Just too many things working against me, but the past two days I dedicated to making this ST-4 come alive again.

I found a new factory pump in stock at a dealer in Florida will be here at my home in N.C. Friday. Does anyone have a fuel filter part number that is same size as the Ducati one and one last thing, where and what type of fuel hose do I buy that is "submersible" that will with -stand gasoline?

I appreciate all of you here on this forum for all of your help you have given me in this Ducati challenge.

Happy Holidays,
Donnie F.

·
Super Moderator
5,666 Posts
At the top of this section there's a post of Equivalent Parts. It'll have the numbers your looking for.

You need 1 foot of high pressure submersible fuel line (I got mine at NAPA for about $24). You can use a NAPA filter too but the OEM has finer filtration.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Fuel filter part number is 42540041A, but I think this maybe changed to 42540041B since that is the only one with a price on the Ducati Omaha site. I also used NAPA for the internal hoses. I used Napa. NBH H209 $26.52/ ft. While this handled the connections between the filter and fuel pump, I had to buy some of the other, smaller hose to the air separator directly from Ducati dealerships.

Gotham sells the kit for these as well on eBay, not sure about their site. Ducati Gas Fuel Petrol Tank Pump Service Kit w/ Filter, O-Rings Vent Hoses Pipes | eBay

Here is the part book that's online Ricambi_1_33_st2_USA

·
Mr Leakered
8,945 Posts
Are you looking to replace the whose assembly or just the fuel pump. If just the pump, follow Dan's advice on this post:

I believe the Bosch fuel pump is only about $40 or so.
At the top of this section there's a post of Equivalent Parts. It'll have the numbers your looking for.

You need 1 foot of high pressure submersible fuel line (I got mine at NAPA for about $24). You can use a NAPA filter too but the OEM has finer filtration.
Right on!

I have only used the Napa filters for about 95,000mi. I think I have about 40k or so on the cheap Bosch replacement. It is still spooky silent compared to the stock one.

Have a good one.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts