Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys, I'm new to this forum. Came over from the Sport Classic forum as I sold my SC1000. There are a couple of 748's near me that I'm somewhat interested in. One is a '00 the other an '01. Similar mileage ~9000 mi. Can anyone tell me if there are any differences between the model years that I should be aware of, or anything specific I should look for before buying? Thanks for your help!

·
Banned
11,256 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the tip, that's kind of the way I was leaning. The only problem is that that particular bike is 3 hours away, and it's yellow. If it were red it would probably be sitting in my garage right now!

·
Premium Member
3,709 Posts
I would definitely go with the newer...just because it's newer. I would also make sure they have service records.

I think the rocker issue is a matter of luck. Can't necessarily say any year was better then the other when it comes to a 748.

·
Registered
1 Posts
For the most part your right they have had better luck with the newer one's 2001 and 2002, but they all have the possibility of rocker arm issues. Just tuned up a 2001 748S and had two bad rockers on two different cams don't assume anything. Some times you would be better off with one that has higher miles usually the rockers have settled. I do tune ups for a living take my word on it. My 916 has 24,000+ no rocker issue and its a 1996.

·
Banned
11,256 Posts
The rocker issues didn't start until roughly 1998 and it was seen less on the bigger bore bikes due to the lower redline. The 748 is really the bike where the rocker issues shined through. If you set up the clearances well and maintain them, the later rockers 2001+ usually don't fall apart as quickly. The 1998-2000 rockers fall apart very quickly if not maintained. I believe Ian Falloon's Desmoqattro history book has some explanation on this, something to do with manufacturers and chrome type.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
3,448 Posts
Rockers, again?

Just for the record, I had four rockers flake on my '02 748 at 5600 miles. I replaced those four with factory replacements in 2006 when they were only $45 each. By 18k, I had more flaking rockers, including at least one of the 2006 replacements. I now have all my openers replaced with Megacycled rockers. Just an FYI.

·
Registered
5,143 Posts
I'd choose on condition/mileage/service history, colour etc either way it's an old bike and I doubt 1 year +/- would make much difference and they should both have the later 3-phase electrics.

IMO you're just as likely to have rocker issues on either but servicing, condition and luck will be a factor in this.

·
Registered
224 Posts
+1

I'd choose on condition/mileage/service history, colour etc either way it's an old bike and I doubt 1 year +/- would make much difference and they should both have the later 3-phase electrics.

IMO you're just as likely to have rocker issues on either but servicing, condition and luck will be a factor in this.
There's the answer right there. All things being equal, newer is better. Otherwise, look for the best maintained.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
As an addendum to my original post, should I be afraid of a 2000 748 with 21,000 mi? What should I look for? Cost is biggest factor for me, but I don't want to buy an inexpensive bike only to have to dump $$ into repairs / maintenance.

I'm also considering a 749 as it seems that I may be able to source one for around 6K. I do love the SSSA on the XX8 bikes, however!

·
Registered
253 Posts
I'd personally keep looking for a lower mileage bike. I ended up looking for 5-6 months for my 996, and had to travel 800 miles to get it. Condition and mileage were critical for me. the 10 year old bike has 4,200 on the odo.

I am in no way associated with this bike, but just an example of year and mileage

http://miami.craigslist.org/brw/mcy/1438055361.html

2002 748 BiP with 2,xxx miles.

·
Come in Spinner :)
7,980 Posts
My 2000 748 has 49000 km on the clock and has no issues.
It has had a couple of rockers replaced a few years ago, but that's no big deal.
Is long as the machine has been correctly serviced & not flogged to death
on the track, go on overall condition.
A low mileage bike has spent most of it's time sitting around deteriorating.

·
Registered
1,669 Posts
My '01 748R, 6K miles - ALL opening rocker arms went bad. Now with Megacycle rocker arms...

Any desmoquattro motor is prone. Maybe a 998 is within your reach?

·
Mayor of Simpleton
4,882 Posts
I'm with you. A ten year old bike with 2,000 miles may be nice for a collection, but as a rider, give me an impecably maintained bike with 15K miles over that any day.

·
Registered
36 Posts
A bike with 2k on the clock has yet to see any issues, change all filters and oil and it's as good as new, that last post I really don't understand. You can't teach and old dog new tricks but a pup is yours for life if you look after it :)
My 02' 748s has had not one issue since new.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts