Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just bought the bike last weekend. Running great except for some popping when laying off the throttle. Going to swap the no name exhaust with termignoni, new plugs and maybe a fbf chip.
Bike has 7100 miles. Put 200 on since last weekend.
Here is the problem.....rode the bike for about 30min today. Stopped for gas, bike wouldn't start back up. Have power, can hear the pump prime but nothing when I push the the starter button. Under the seat the 2 fuel relays....the right side relay....(battery side) you can hear and feel it click when the ignition is turned on. Still wont start. Magically a few min later it started up. Fast forward a few hours later and it happened again. Got it started after a few min of trying. About 10 min later coming to a stop sign the bike shut off. Wouldn't start.... I walked the bike to the side of the road and tried to start and it fired up. Any ideas what the problem could be? Thanks in advance for any help.

·
Registered
4,030 Posts
First post. Some of the boys here are going to jump you for not introducing yourself. Nothing personal, but I don't care and I hope your 748 turns out to be a joyful purchase for you. Please post some pictures. I always like seeing the machine someone picked up. If it's red, then you have the faster bike. Yellow is just a tad bit slower.

Don't spend any money on the bike until you have it running right. If you can find the FIM chip for the 748, that is a better purchase than the FBF. If you cannot find the FIM, the FBF is good enough.

Let us know some history on the bike. How long it sat, how it was used. But regarding the issue, start with the eliminating the side stand switch. (these things are well known for no start issues) They also have their own relay if I am not mistaken. Search the forum for the details, it's been so long since I dealt with the side stand switch that I forgot the bypass details.

More than likely the pugs are fine, what you really want to look into are the fuel hoses inside the gas tank. I am willing to make a wager that they need to be replaced. Do the fuel filter when you replace the fuel lines.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Namor..... well I hope you can all welcome me to the forum and forgive my manors....
I'm 45 and from eastern PA. Havent had a bike in about 20 years.... always wanted a Ducati and dont like the new bikes, they all look the same to me. I owned a cbr f2, cbr f3, r1 and a rc51.
I dont have much history on the bike.... clean title, 6900 miles, sat for about 9 months. Belts were supposedly recently done. I'm scheduling a service appointment for valves, belts, oil change, inspection and a once over. The horn doesnt work. Other than that everything appears to work as it should. I'll get some more pics.... any idea who made a 748/916/996 exhaust in carbon fiber with 2 outlets on each pipe?

Attachments

·
Premium Member
370 Posts
I would recommend checking the starter relay. I’m not sure on the bike quitting mid-ride. That could be a lot of things. Fuel starvation (Split in-tank fuel hoses, fuel filter, etc), spark plugs, coils, Any additional info on how it quits?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Only happened once when running. Slowing down, pulled the clutch in, almost came to a complete stop and she turned off and wouldn't start up. Pushed to the side of the road and it fires back up?

·
grand poobah
719 Posts
Sounds like a rectifier overheating, check the status of the connector behind the battery box. A quick search here on Duc MS. will give you many photos to see the issue when it goes south. Welcome to the Brotherhood of Duc.

·
Premium Member
5,698 Posts
By not starting do you mean it cranks over but doesn't catch, or is it not even cranking over?

I get the idea it's not cranking from your original post. If pressing the start button gets you nothing, not even that dead battery click we've all had at some point, check the crappy connection behind the starter solenoid. Some people use a wire tie to hold it in place once they figure out how unreliable it is.

·
Premium Member
963 Posts
All good suggestions from the boys, I had a no start situation after an oil change I did the night before a track day (right before tech, not that I was in a state trying to figure out why before riders meeting). Turns out I had jostled the yellow relay right by the battery box. Maybe try removing and reinstalling, add a few drops of stabillant 22 (expensive but really helps electrical connection) if you have some.

·
Registered
4,030 Posts
Also if not stated already, the large fuse 30amp or so on the right side of the battery tray likes to come loose. Check that. Starter solenoids don't often go bad, but if you have the right side fairing off next time that it doesn't start, have a knock on the solenoid and see if that gets things going.

The solenoid is the right side of the battery box just below the main large fuse. Round circle item sitting in a rubber harness.

Last but not least, make sure that the connection on the back of the solenoid is seated. It's a while connector that comes down from the On/Off start assembly. Plugs into the back of the starter solenoid.

·
Premium Member
5,698 Posts
The 30 amp (40 on three phase bikes) fuse near the battery has one purpose and one purpose only. It provides DC power from the rectifier / regulator to run the bike and charge the battery. You could pull it out and the bike will start and run perfectly fine until the battery gets too low.

·
Registered
954 Posts
The fix from davy.j

Product Auto part

Q. any idea who made a 748/916/996 exhaust in carbon fiber with 2 outlets on each pipe?

Black Widow slip-ons lovely and very rare:
Vehicle Car Auto part Automotive exhaust Exhaust system

Ithink these were by daro-moto

Automotive exhaust Vehicle Exhaust system Car Muffler

1 - 12 of 12 Posts