Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey everyone, I finally quit lurking and joined for help. I just got a 2000 996 to try saving from certain death. I noticed when I pulled it into the garage, I can roll the bike and turn the engine to TDC on either piston with the engine off, transmission in gear, and clutch lever out. I've had other bikes before and in the same scenario the bikes back wheel locks up before the engine can turn. Also, the inner fuel injectors on each cylinder were disconnected, which I found strange. Did I make a mistake picking up this project, or have others experienced it too? thanks!

Edit: forgot to mention, I checked compression and got 155psi on both cylinders (Cold)

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That is def not normal. Sounds like the clutch could be stuck. Has the bike been sitting for while before you got it?
I rode it home fine, the shifting is not perfect but it does change gears. The cush drive things are definitely shot, I can see it and feel it while changing gears. Not sure how long it sat before I took it though.

·
Premium Member
5,648 Posts
The unplugged injectors are likely the result of a mod that changes the bike to single injector. Pretty popular among the street going 996. It takes a new "chip" in the ECU. If you were to plug in the extra injectors with this chip installed, you'd be dumping gas like a 1970 Buick. You can be certain by looking at the chip (under the rubber plug on top of the ECU) and post the number here.

Not sure if I am understanding your first issue... Are you saying you find it a problem that you cannot roll the bike in first gear through TDC compression??? That's a pretty big piston you're trying to push. You're probably fighting engine compression.

Reactions: ProphetPVD

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
The unplugged injectors are likely the result of a mod that changes the bike to single injector. Pretty popular among the street going 996. It takes a new "chip" in the ECU. If you were to plug in the extra injectors with this chip installed, you'd be dumping gas like a 1970 Buick. You can be certain by looking at the chip (under the rubber plug on top of the ECU) and post the number here.

Not sure if I am understanding your first issue... Are you saying you find it a problem that you cannot roll the bike in first gear through TDC compression??? That's a pretty big piston you're trying to push. You're probably fighting engine compression.
I will take a look at the chip right now! It definitely looks like the sticker on the ECU was removed at one point. As for the rolling the bike, no, I'm not trying to roll the bike through TDC. I find it weird that I can roll the bike until TDC compression. All my other bikes, if i left them in gear, the drivetrain would lock up the rear wheel before starting to spin the crankshaft.

As promised, the ECU chip says UM222 - slip on muffler and single injector

·
Registered
2,478 Posts
i hear that the 996 runs better on the single injector mode, but this makes the injector work at their maximum rate.

Reactions: ProphetPVD

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
i hear that the 996 runs better on the single injector mode, but this makes the injector work at their maximum rate.
I read this too, if anything I can have all 4 injectors serviced and then have 2 spares, then keep a dummy in the unused ports.

·
Registered
1,259 Posts
I find it weird that I can roll the bike until TDC compression. All my other bikes, if i left them in gear, the drivetrain would lock up the rear wheel before starting to spin the crankshaft.
Try rolling one of your other bikes with it in 2nd or 3rd gear instead of 1st? Ducatis typically have taller gearing than most other bikes so are probably easier to turn over by rolling. I've never tried... in any case if it's running fine it's not a problem.

FWIW I have the single injector set up on my 996 also, runs great. With no engine mods there's no need for dual injectors. I have heard they can be made to run fine with dual injectors but as mentioned it was a popular mod back in the day.

BTW - it's good thing you can do it on either cylinder... if it only did it on one that would be bad.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I tried the same test on my friends 998, in 1st gear. Couldn't turn the crank through the gearbox. I'll try other gears in the morning. I also doubt I'll revert back to two injectors per cylinder, easiest to leave that the way it is!

·
Registered
570 Posts
I will take a look at the chip right now! It definitely looks like the sticker on the ECU was removed at one point. As for the rolling the bike, no, I'm not trying to roll the bike through TDC. I find it weird that I can roll the bike until TDC compression. All my other bikes, if i left them in gear, the drivetrain would lock up the rear wheel before starting to spin the crankshaft.

As promised, the ECU chip says UM222 - slip on muffler and single injector
UM222 is a very nice upgrade. Makes a crape bike run good. That is a single injector upgrade and makes the bike smoother and nicer.

For the compression. I don't know what it should be but Ducati's tend to leak more at staticish conditions due to the weaker valve springs. If compression is the same on both cylinders I would not worry.

Jocke

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
UM222 is a very nice upgrade. Makes a crape bike run good. That is a single injector upgrade and makes the bike smoother and nicer.

For the compression. I don't know what it should be but Ducati's tend to leak more at staticish conditions due to the weaker valve springs. If compression is the same on both cylinders I would not worry.

Jocke
Good point, I didn't think of the weaker valve springs. Sounds like I can move forward removing the cams to check the rockers and then valve adjusting :cool:

·
Registered
110 Posts

Jocke
On this setup, what would you say the best CO trimmer setting would be at sea level during the cooler months of FL weather? I set a wide pulse width to be safe but I don't want to overload my injectors. I can hear them working hard as hell.

I don't know the details on my UM222 chip as far as fueling modifications.

·
Premium Member
5,648 Posts
On this setup, what would you say the best CO trimmer setting would be at sea level during the cooler months of FL weather?
No one can tell you that...

Trimmer is set to whatever produces target CO% and idle speed in combination with the air bleeds after a proper TPS set up. As far as environmentals effecting the setting, you have air pressure and temperature sensors on the bike that input to the ECU compensating for changing conditions.

Read: http://www.bikeboy.org/ducati4vthrottleb.html

If you were asking about what the target CO% should be, it doesn't really change because of the chip or particular environmental conditions. I usually shoot for 5 to 5.5%. I use a Gunson gas tester, so I won't swear by its accuracy but I will say that is seems consistent in its reading from use to use.

Reactions: bartenderplease
1 - 17 of 17 Posts