Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought a 2000 Duc 996 used with only about 6500 miles on it. I feel like I got a good deal and have the names of the original owner. The bike is in great condition other than needs some new tires. To be honest, I wasnt really happy with this bike at first but the more I ride it the more I love it. It has more performance than Im used to. The question I have is actually what Im not sure I do like about it. But Im still ignorant to the Ducatis. As long as its cool out the thing is perfect. On the open highway its great. Stop and go it sucks. And seems that as it gets hot it runs like crap. Stalls out easily and surges or lunges at highway speeds from time to time. I know that owning a Ducati is more than just riding its a hobby. That includes maintaining one too. Does anyone know what could be the cause. And can anyone tell me if its possible to maintain one without spending major bucks. LOL! I dont live close to ANY dealers and dont want to spend hours driving to one to spend tons of money that I could spend on learning on how to do things myself. Ive heard some of the Japanese bike riders say I was foolish for getting this thing. But it was a great buy and is a beautiful bike and really does ride like a dream when it runs good.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I too have a 2000 model 996, albeit mine is an SPS, never any stalling problems. I had a 748 and 748 SP before and both stalled in hot humid conditions. Couple of things I noticed in hot weather on the 2 dry days we get in the UK are, in traffic clutch gets VERY grabby and can result in embarrassing stalls in traffic even with clutch fully engaged, select gear and stall, also under the seat gets very hot. One thing I have found on speaking to other 748/996 owners was putting an aftermarket ECU on can help with the problem, especially with open pipes, if not then a power commander perhaps?

Make sure tank vent hose isn't obstructed as this can cause issues - does the tank hiss when opened? test the temperature switch on the fan, does the fan kick in? if not the test/replace temperature switch, part # 55240081A (I think same port on 748, 996), other than that I think reading other 1098/848/996 posts it may well be a "stock ECU" issue and changing to an upgraded ECU might help?

·
Registered
14 Posts
stalling ,surging 996

I had a 1999 996 biposto and all the things you mentioned will be solved with the Ultimap 222 chip.
as for the service you better get educated real fast.... i had every problem that the 996's are known for
here goes the list
-flaking rockers
-UM222 chip upgrade
-starter sprag
-cracked upper coolant reservior
-leaking fuel connectors

that is the short but expensive list.
Don't be scared though it is an awesome bike ,wish wouldn't sold mine ,it was my favorite duc.
if you keep ahead of these things they will not get ridiculously expensive but i bought mine with these problems and fixed them myself .
I am a self taught duc mechanic and an aircraft mechanic. so the task was not difficult i don't know your skill level so you have to make the call.
i bought mine for $3500
sold it for $7000
you do the math...

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hey thanks for the info. I will check on it! I agree, itss an awesome bike! I just dont have much experience with Ducs. So far the issues arent terribly bad but my ignorance makes me nervous in that I dont know much bout em! Im a helicopter pilot so I am a little mechanically inclined. I used to wrench on my Kawasaki but am a bit intimidated by what Ive heard about these things.

·
9,757 Posts
Hey thanks for the info. I will check on it! I agree, itss an awesome bike! I just dont have much experience with Ducs. So far the issues arent terribly bad but my ignorance makes me nervous in that I dont know much bout em! Im a helicopter pilot so I am a little mechanically inclined. I used to wrench on my Kawasaki but am a bit intimidated by what Ive heard about these things.
Don't be intimidated.

It might have its quircks, but its way easier to work on than a jap bike.

Pick up a Haynes manual and get to work.

PS, sounds like you have issues with your fuel map, I agree with the the Ulimap chip suggestion.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

·
Registered
1,937 Posts
Don't be intimidated.

It might have its quircks, but its way easier to work on than a jap bike.

Pick up a Haynes manual and get to work.

PS, sounds like you have issues with your fuel map, I agree with the the Ulimap chip suggestion.

+1....their easier then you think!!!!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hey thanks guys! Very comforting to hear. I have been critisized for getting this for one simple reason and thats support and of course cost. But seems like Im hearing that its not that bad from those of you who have owned and operated these great bikes. I have to say that this bike is just a thrill to ride. I love to ride and use mine every chance I get. I commute about 35miles each way to work and have to ride through various road conditions such as I mentioned with school zones and stop lights to interstate riding. It does seem to perform like a wild stalion set free on the open highway. But like a beast at slow speeds.
Do you guys have to really modulate the clutch and throttle at slow speeds?

I know I sound like a bumbling boob! but really appreciate the input from all!

Thanks!

·
Banned
11,256 Posts
Just think of your Ducati as a big tractor... thats fun to ride. As the others said, its really basic to maintain. I can't even imagine doing a valve job on a Japanese bike, that would probably equate to a motor on a bench somewhere in a million pieces, never to be put back together again.

Now, on the other hand, the newer bikes are more like Japanese bikes in terms of reliability. So you can't call Ducati's in general "hobby" bikes... I sure as hell didn't buy a Ducati for it to be a hobby because I race one.

Buy a decent service manual, get some tools and forget about what your Jap bike loving friends say! ;)

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
724 Posts
Hey thanks guys! Very comforting to hear. I have been critisized for getting this for one simple reason and thats support and of course cost. But seems like Im hearing that its not that bad from those of you who have owned and operated these great bikes. I have to say that this bike is just a thrill to ride. I love to ride and use mine every chance I get. I commute about 35miles each way to work and have to ride through various road conditions such as I mentioned with school zones and stop lights to interstate riding. It does seem to perform like a wild stalion set free on the open highway. But like a beast at slow speeds.
Do you guys have to really modulate the clutch and throttle at slow speeds?

I know I sound like a bumbling boob! but really appreciate the input from all!

Thanks!
With the Ultimap UM222 chip you’ll need to disconnect one injector per cylinder, but this will help clean up most of your slower speed issues (it is after all a race bike adapted to street use - so try to keep that in mind) and will also perform much better overall. Disconnecting the injectors lets the fuel atomize better instead of dribbling in. Just make sure it’s tuned correctly otherwise it still won’t run to it’s potential. Before changing the stock chip to the UM222, mine would want to stall/bog off idle after very little slow/traffic lights, etc.. but after the chip and getting it correctly dialed in it will transform the bike. It will still get up in temp in the slow stuff.

Access is sometimes more work then the actual maintenance you’re performing. Timing belts are cake - Just take you time, do your homework and you’ll do a better job then most dealers -- at least the one (and only) I went to -- Never again!!

You may need to bleed your clutch system, but it is a bit touchy in traffic, or can be. You'll get used to it.

Lots of good info on this site. “Hall of Wisdom” is a good place to start.

Enjoy, it’s one hell of a fun bike!!:yeah:

http://www.ducati.ms/forums/showthread.php?t=57491

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
To all who have responded, thanks alot! I do appreciate the great advice. To the last post, I bought my bike in August and rode it for about a couple weeks before I had to go out of town for a couple months. I came home and rode a little prior to winter setting in and just got back on it again within the past couple weeks. I forgot to mention that I bought it with about 6500 miles or so and currently have about 7500 miles on it. I do know that there are some signifigant service items due at I believe 8k.
On the subject of good repair manuals, I was looking at Haynes but is there one you guys would recommend?

·
Banned
11,256 Posts
Can't believe nobody's asked madd duc if he knows how old the belts are.
If the belts hadn't been done since the bike was new in 2000, I have a feeling they would have already failed. Those were the older style belts that actually did fail before the 12k service interval.

I'd still take the few minutes and do a visual inspection of them, to make sure.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
138 Posts
If the belts hadn't been done since the bike was new in 2000, I have a feeling they would have already failed. Those were the older style belts that actually did fail before the 12k service interval.
996's have kevlar belts, not the older variant.

·
Registered
790 Posts
I have an [url="http://www.ducati.ms/forums/showthread.php?t=59292]01 996[/url] and 02 GSXR750 which you can just hop on and go.

-flaking rockers : I don't have this, I read that it's more with the pre 01's
-UM222 chip upgrade : I dont think I have that but I have Commander III
-starter sprag:I don't know what that is, but I've no probs starting.
-cracked upper coolant reservior: Mine was replaced under warranty
-leaking fuel connectors: Not on mine

The fuel level sensor cracked due to plastic neck. The replacement is metal.
The fuel tank around the lower area near the seat leaked but was fixed by the dealer.
The clutch slave cylinder was replaced under warranty

·
Premium Member
112 Posts
IMO, 6500 in 9 years is not a lot. Servicing and cleaning of injectors, plugs and general maintenance items might have been skipped. The 996 is a lovely engine. Find a mechanic Ducati lover and have it tweaked. I am sure that will sort out 90% of the problems.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts