Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi - I'm a new member of the forum. Been told by a bunch of my friends that there's a lot of knowledgable Ducati owners on this forum....I have a 2000 996 with 114xx miles on it so about 600 more miles till I need to bring it in for the 12,000 mile service. I live in Seattle so I called Ducati Seattle yesterday to ask them about it. They said that the service costs $1100 which I just can't afford right now...so I'm wondering, as someone who doesn't have much experience working with motorcycles, is there stuff that I can do myself? What exactly does the 12,000 mile service entail? Thanks for the help, Derek

**Hey - just wanted to thank everyone for their replies. You were really helpful. I think I'm going to try to do the oil change, coolant flush, and brake/clutch fluid flush myself. Just bought the Haynes manual and once I start looking through it I'll see what else doesn't look too complicated. I am a rookie at this stuff so really want to make sure i don't screw anything up. Once again thanks for the helpful replies!!

·
Premium Member
3,709 Posts
Oil change, Valve clearance check, belts get changed, flush the coolant...if you really want to do it right, you're going to look for flakes and hopefully not find any. But if you do, then pull the cams and rockers. How mechanically inclined are you? Do you have the Haynes book and Desmotimes book?

·
Registered
299 Posts
Seriously, Unless you're rather knowledgeable with the desmo valvetrain, i'd leave the major service to a pro... just my .02

·
Registered
577 Posts
I didn't think the 12k service was all that hard. it was definitely time consuming but it is doable. I did not know anything about the engine but I decided to try it. I even pulled and swapped the cams and some rockers. I did however leave the clearance check for a pro to do. All I used was this site and the Haynes manual. Just do what you think you can handle and then take it in, to try and save some cash. Good luck

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
I replaced all of the fluids,changed my belts,replaced my clutch pack, and installed new chain and sprockets before my 12k service. I informed the dealer what I had done. The service with all valve clearances brought into spec(The mechanic said every single valve was out) cost me $600.00. Luckily no rockers were found flaky and when I changed my oil recently my oil screen was still clean as a whistle.

·
Registered
797 Posts
12k Mile Check

You have to inspect the rockers/clearance/cams/belts and then checking the TB sync, air cleaners, plugs, oil etc.....
If you never gotten into the valves on a Ducati Desmo, there are tools to purchase, and takes time! If you are patient it can be done at home, well most of the check, TB sync cannot be.
I do mine on the 996sps and the 999s, but been doing it for 15 years.

Look for a good independant Ducati shop up there, it will still cost $$$, but that's if you do not want to buy $$$ tools and spend a great deal of time, especially if you've never done it before.
Remember there can be lots of $$$ in parts, shims/rockers/belts........

Reality check, you own a Ducati, not a Yamaha, in owning a Duc you should take care of it, as a speciality sports car. Unless you have really good mechanical ability, bite the bullet and take it in to a good shop. Otherwise you stand the chance of F'ing something up big time that will cost a lot more than $1200.00.

I've owned and rebuilt Porsche's for 20 years, when people skimp on them they normally pay twice as much or more to fix their oversight. Do not cheese out!!!

I'd rather do a full tune-up on a 1985 Carerra air-cooled motor than my valves on the 996sps.......

Just takes time, and that's what you pay for taking your Ducati to a quality shop......

Enjoy!
M

·
Registered
1,178 Posts
Everything except maybe adjusting the valves is really easy to do (checking the valves is easy aswell). Get a decent manual (haynes for example) and you shouldn't have much trouble doing most of the work yourself if you have decent tools.

·
Mayor of Simpleton
4,882 Posts
Took me and a friend two 4-hour saturday afternoons to change the belts, change 3 bad rockers, adjust the valves and sync the throttle bodies on my 748 this spring. He's a pretty handy guy and had done his own 748, but he's not a mechanic. I worked in bicycle shops through high school and college--I'm comfortable with a wrench, but had never done actual motor work before. It wasn't difficult. Still, if you are worried about tackling it or spending a couple hundred dollars on parts and tools, then do all the other stuff before taking the bike to them--preferable trailer it over without the bodywork, airbox, etc. You can also pick up a pair of belts for $58 at desmotimes and put those on but have the shop tension them.

If you deliver a bare bike to them and they only need to tension the belts and adjust the valves, then there is no way it should run more than $400-$500 as long as no rockers are bad.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
thanks....

**Hey - just wanted to thank everyone for their replies. You were really helpful. I think I'm going to try to do the oil change, coolant flush, and brake/clutch fluid flush myself. Just bought the Haynes manual and once I start looking through it I'll see what else doesn't look too complicated. I am a rookie at this stuff so really want to make sure i don't screw anything up. Once again thanks for the helpful replies!! Derek

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
**Hey - just wanted to thank everyone for their replies. You were really helpful. I think I'm going to try to do the oil change, coolant flush, and brake/clutch fluid flush myself. Just bought the Haynes manual and once I start looking through it I'll see what else doesn't look too complicated. I am a rookie at this stuff so really want to make sure i don't screw anything up. Once again thanks for the helpful replies!!

·
Registered
234 Posts
i know this thread is several months old but i am thinking of doing my own 12k service on my 02 998 and found this very helpful. thank you everyone who contributed.

i'm a fairly handy guy but i think i am going to leave the valve check to the dealer, i may do the belts myself.

one question; what is the likeliness that a rocker will need to be replaced? if a rocker does need to be replaced; about how much more can i expect the dealer to charge me?

·
Registered
1,178 Posts
The 998 doesn't have issues with failing rockers AFAIK,
or at least very little of them do.

·
Mr Leakered
8,925 Posts
On thing to remember is that you're going to sink about $1k into the tools and parts to do it right on that first try yourself. You can get the valves within spec without the shim kit, but if you want to nail some sweet clearances, you will want one.

Good luck.

·
Registered
234 Posts
i called around today to get some pricing and info on getting the valves checked. i called 4 places (3 dealers and 1 independant) and ended up getting a pretty decent deal worked out with a shop that's about 2 hours away. they all said that the rockers are likely not going to need to be replaced, it is rare on a 998 to have to do that.

thanks for the feedback.

·
Registered
923 Posts
yeuupers, 998 is a testastretta, no flaking issues.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts